re-gluing pressure pads on a cassette tape

dotcentral

Picked up several cassette tapes at the local thrift store. One of them, the pressure pad came off while taking the cassette out of the case. I found it, foam with a paper back on the glue side.

Any recommendations for gluing the pressure pad back to the metal spring it is to sit on? I am thinking a little spot of wood glue would do the trick. Open to other suggestions.

Worth a shot. I might try Aleen's Tacky craft glue as it stays somewhat flexible.

What cassette title pray tell is worthy of this little fix?

Yeah those pressure pads eventually fall off.
I use a tiny dab of super glue and real carefully with tweezers, I situate it.
I don;t necessarily recommend using super glue but if you do, a TINY dab is all that is needed. The tape should be re-wound to the leader, that way you can pull out some of the leader and if it gets crumpled, not as big a deal as ruining the tape.

One other thing you could do -
If the cassette you are trying to repair has a screwed together shell, then your job is easier. Find a brand new in plastic donor cassette at the thrift store for 1/2 off, disassemble it, then just transfer the pressure pad/spring assembly to the bad cassette. Then you also have a back-up case to replace a nasty looking one.

Yes as MetalFisher says, I by cheep type 1 cassettes new and then take the pads and springs from those and reinstall in the damaged cassette. I actually have a parts pox full of all of the cassette bits, screws pads rollers etc. I mostly fix my wife's prerecorded cassettes. I can't say that I have experienced this failure on any of my Maxell or TDK type 2's.

I just use a dab of Elmers glue then carefully place with tweezers. Have done this dozens of time with great success. I never wanted to use SG as I was concerned with possible misplacement and then getting myself jammed up because I used SG.

What cassette title pray tell is worthy of this little fix?

Kris Kristofferson, songs of Kristofferson.

I have TightBond brand glue in the house, so that is what I will try. Tape was 69 cents, so not out a whole lot if it fails

Last edited:
Bumping a good thread here.

Just unboxed a couple dozen cassettes that i haven't seen in over 15 years and immediately found that 3 of them had loose / floating pads.

I use superglue. One tip: Wind the tape all the way to the leader section and loop some out so you can get to the pad. That way if you accidentally get a little glue on the tape it is on the non-recorded leader section, not on good tape. Second tip is to get a sheet adhesive felt from the hardware store (e.g. Ace) and cut little squares for pads. They make some just the right thickness and they make good replacements.

Second tip is to get a sheet adhesive felt from the hardware store (e.g. Ace) and cut little squares for pads. They make some just the right thickness and they make good replacements.

That's what I do. The adhesive is very strong. First time I tried it, I did not line up the new pad and the metal spring. Wound up pulling the spring out of the shell-that's how tight the bond is. Now I use tweezers and proceed slowly. Do wind the tape to the end, as others have mentioned.

I've used Aleene's or whatever the glue is that came with the foam surrounds I've bought. Seems to work fine. It's not going to setup as quick as super glue, so if you are in a hurry to use the tape, use super glue.

Hot glue gun and set of pointy tip tweezers. Pull a bit of tape use a paper clip to pull tha tape back. Tiny shot on pad then get on there. Have not had any come back off. Glued over 60 of them. If you can't find the pad go to store and get felt strips in furniture moving accessories. Cut your own. Sets in seconds

Back
Top Bottom