Realistic drivers any good?

Audi0

Cost me $40 and I got extras. Did I score??? Are these drivers any good?
Sadly only have 1 cone tweet and 1 aluminum super tweeter.
20170222_222151.jpg

I had a pair of those aluminum bullet tweeters years ago, they do a great job. That "soft dome" one looks interesting.

They had some interesting tech back in the day, so yes some of their raw drivers can be quite decent. Not quite RIP for RS, but sadly they aren't in that league anymore...... Instead there are other online retailers that fill most of that void.

It looks like you have a pair of planar tweeters and one pair of dome tweeters? The cone driver on the right looks like it could be a replacement Minimus 7 woofer. Those midrange domes are probably at least halfway decent (I have a pair I got cheap at a yard sale years ago but haven't done anything with).

The ribbon tweeters might be very good (Foster/ Fostex) and the white mid,
(prob. a full range) is a Fostex too. The bullet tweeter is Fostex and very good.

There is almost enough parts to build a speaker here. This is a picture of the white drivers back. Is it anything?
20170223_121024.jpg

Also this driver looks familiar. I think ive seen it before but of a different colour. Acoustic research?
20170223_121509.jpg

That cone tweeter looks like the ubiquitous CTS phenolic ring tweeter, with the phenolic ring painted black. It's probably the least worthwhile of the lot, so I wouldn't fret that you've only got one. The domes and ribbons/planars are much better.

Yes, that's almost identical to an AR4x tweeter. They're not the same unit, but very close. They sound OK, but they're not quite as efficient as the CTS phenolic ring tweeter.

As for the 4" driver- usually, the ones that were the Fostex FE103 actually said "FE103" on the rear, and would have been Radio Shack part # 40-1197. But, that may still be a very good clone... or it might possibly still be a Foster built driver, too...

The two 1" dome tweeters and the 4" drivers could be used to make a passable Minimus 7 clone...

BTW: If that super tweeter is part number 40-1310 or 40-1310A, and has the original box, you can probably recoup your whole purchase price for the lot, selling it on "that auction place". Even without the box, you might still have a chance...

Regards,
Gordon.

Back
Top Bottom