Realistic lab 2100 linear table-any info?

With the platter off, the spindle does not rotate smoothly, but turns in a jerking type of movement. But, when you put the platter on, the pitch control operates smoothly. No indication of the jerking movement without the platter. Is this normal?
Enough questions for now. I will check later on a possible fix for the cracked plastic piece.:D

Don't run the direct drive motor without the platter. :no:

Ok, I won't. Quick update before I go to bed (work in the morning). I played parts of two different records on the lab. The sound was OK, a little muted compared to my Sony, but was OK with the short listening (couple of songs). The problem is, after about a song or song and a half, the record started skipping, I cued the tonearm up and moved over a song, and after a song or so, it started skipping again. Did this on both records I tried. Upon closer looking, I think that the tonearm is moving towards the center as it plays, but the transport is not keeping up with it. So, the tonearm is actually pivoting just a little. After a little bit, it starts skipping.

So, does anyone know what adjustments can be made, so the transport keeps up (90*) with the tonearm? The cartridge end of the tonearm gets about a quarter of an inch or so ahead of the base end of the tonearm as the record plays. It then starts to skip (make sense?). I looked at the manual download from VE, but it doesn't give a whole lot of info on the workings of this tt.

Any thoughts/suggestions is appreciated.

Thx, Frank

Thx, Jonny. I just re-read your post #3 above (and also the one you linked). I completely overlooked the part about the two adjustment holes. I will look at that closer when I get a chance. If the tone arm is not touching anything, there is a quarter inch+ of left and right play in it. Will the adjustment of that left hole tighten that up, hopefully?

Also, I did lube the two slider rods on the transport with white lithium grease. I'm wondering if I should clean that off and put some type of oil on it. I do have a synthetic motor oil that I plan on using on my dual cleanup. Even though it seems to move a lot smoother now, maybe an oil, instead of a grease would be even better?

The left adjustment doesn't tighten up play, it adjusts horizontal tracking angle. Adjust it until the arm tracks straight. Or the right one - I don't remember. I used oil, with a dab of lithium smeared over it.

Thx, Jonny. I will redo the oiling of the rods. Does your arm have play in it (left and right movement)?
Somehow the record/platter is spinning faster (which is causing the tip of the tone arm to move move towards the center of the record, faster than the transport moves the base of the tone arm. This is causing the tone arm not to be at a 90° angle to the transport which is causing the needle to jump the grooves.

So if the tone arm cannot be "tightened" up, is there a speed control for the transport to speed it up?

The pitch control dots are holding steady. Maybe I can slow the pitch down? Would that let the transport catch up to the speed of the record? I'm assuming they are all entwined together somehow. Just kinda thinking to myself, since I don't really know what in doing.

Yes, you're right. I was just thinking out loud to myself trying to understand or figure out why it's not moving in unison exactly. Why is it off and how do I correct it, if possible? I don't know, maybe I'm misunderstanding how it works.

Anyway, I probably won't get to look at it tonight unless it it's real late.

How it works:
A: The arm has a sensor that feels it is dragging behind. If that sensor is activated it will move the arm inwards just a little bit too far.
B: repeat A.

jancumps, can you maybe tell me a little more about the sensor in the tone arm? Further looking tonight reveals that the transport does not appear to be moving at all. I even put the arm on the last song. It finished the song and went into the lead out grooves (correct term?) and did not pick up and return to the rest as it should have.

There is a red light that I thought might be the sensor, but it is not in the arm. Part of the transport slides by that red light. I don't know electronics or schematics, etc. But would like to get this tt playing, if possible with not too much more money investment. I appreciate any further help, if offered. :)

jancumps, can you maybe tell me a little more about the sensor in the tone arm? Further looking tonight reveals that the transport does not appear to be moving at all. I even put the arm on the last song. It finished the song and went into the lead out grooves (correct term?) and did not pick up and return to the rest as it should have.

There is a red light that I thought might be the sensor, but it is not in the arm. Part of the transport slides by that red light. I don't know electronics or schematics, etc. But would like to get this tt playing, if possible with not too much more money investment. I appreciate any further help, if offered. :)

Did you ever resolve this issue? I am having the same problem with a LAB-2100 which was given to me as a gift. Cleaned the old grease, installed a new belt and the transport is sometimes getting behind the cartridge and causes the record to skip on the same section. If I press the < > arrows the tonearm assembly moves nicely.

Great thread, thanks for all the input. I have one of these tables which, after just a little bit of rehab, works great. My question is how do you guys think this turntable compares to some of the new entry level units on the market right now - specifically the U-Turn Orbit Plus? I have one coming to me (a prize from an online contest), and was wondering if it was much of an upgrade. Obviously it doesn’t have any of the automation features, but it seems well reviewed. Also it looks good. Thanks for your opinions.

Great thread, thanks for all the input. I have one of these tables which, after just a little bit of rehab, works great. My question is how do you guys think this turntable compares to some of the new entry level units on the market right now - specifically the U-Turn Orbit Plus? I have one coming to me (a prize from an online contest), and was wondering if it was much of an upgrade. Obviously it doesn’t have any of the automation features, but it seems well reviewed. Also it looks good. Thanks for your opinions.
The wow and flutter on the Realistic is better, that's a big one!

Back
Top Bottom