Realistic Lab 220?

Discussion in 'Turntables' started by Sonofswede13, Feb 2, 2010.

1. Sonofswede13

Sonofswede13 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Hi Folks,

I am pretty new (again) to the vinyl world. I have a Toshiba SR-A270 that seems to serve my purposes pretty well, but I'm always on the hunt for new gear to try.

There is a Realistic Lab 220 available about 40 minutes away from here for $15 and I'm wondering if anyone knows anything about this table. I know Realistic made some decent gear and a few decent tables, but I can't find any info on this one. The only thing I can find is that it was made until about 1982, so that gives me a little hope. For the record, my concern is more for driving the round trip to look at a piece of plastic junk and less with the $15.

They are also selling some Optimus T-100s for $60 and I already have and STA-2000 so if the TT is decent I thought it might make an alright secondary system.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

2. 12ax7

12ax7 Super Member

The LAB-220 is a changer. If I had to guess, by looking at my 1982 RS catalog, I'd say it was a BSR. The S-shaped tonearm has some CEC styling cues, but the controls are pure BSR. It sold for $139.95 new.

I'd pass.

3. Picklebp

Picklebp Member

I saw the same ad. They were asking $40 last week.
    There is a Denon DP-7f, in SW PDX, that may be a good option for cheap. A decent P-mount, with an Audio Technica cart. Says it works fine manually. May need a minor fix for the auto start.
    Also, if you search CL using 'record player' a Symphonic/BSR shows up. It has 16, 33, 45, and 78 speeds. It has the changer gizmo. Ad says made in Germany.

4. Sonofswede13

Sonofswede13 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Thanks for the tips!

I just found out that I can get my Marantz 2275 in tip top shape for only $125 so it looks like I'll be spending a little cash there first instead. Both these tables look pretty decent, but I'm now thinking I should have a little more patience and wait until I can spend a little more on a better table.

I appreciate the help guys.