realistic sta-2100,no "D" here brothers.

billyboyJBL

just got my sta -2100 back from terry dewicks in knoxville.terry did several things to this fine unit to bring it back to full form,he does such outstanding work! i got this baby a couple of weeks ago,it belonged to a gentelman who had stored it for a number of years,and decided to pass it on . i just cannot beleive how full and precise the sound is,and the tuner is magnifico! :yes:

terry metered it for me and the results were,.035%THD @120 watts per channel :thmbsp: . now that feels good ,yes it does :banana: one of the things terry did was bring all the light back up ,they had all been off when i has first gotten it. beautiful front on these,makes you want the darkness. get one of these by all means if you can. this could be one of my "never sell" receivers.thanks to one and all for such a great site :D

Attachments

• sta 2100.JPG
    sta 2100.JPG
    69.8 KB · Views: 379
I have one of these thats just about to go into the shop... It's lights are also dead! (bulbs are fine) Did he tell you what was going on with the lights?

STA-2100 - Perhaps the most sought-after analog Realistic receiver due to its use of a toriodal power transformer. Radio Shack ran into a patent problem with Pioneer and removed this transformer from the STA-2100D. 120 watts per channel RMS with a 4 gang/3 filters FM tuner. If you must have one of the 120 watts per channel Realistic receivers, this is the one to grab.

archie2 said:
STA-2100 - Perhaps the most sought-after analog Realistic receiver due to its use of a toriodal power transformer. Radio Shack ran into a patent problem with Pioneer.

Is this a known fact?

On Ed Hanlon:
Ed Hanlon (Review Panelist [EH]): Thought to be strange by friends and family by the age of 5, when he started DXing TV in the wee hours of Saturday mornings, Ed was a Radio Shack store manager during the "golden age of audio" from the mid-'70s to early '80s and is very familiar with their receivers and tuners. He later became an antenna nut, building his own beginning in the early '90s, and now has extensive design and test equipment for the design of TV and FM antennas. Ed started Antenna Performance Specialties in 1996 after Don Scott reviewed one of his designs in Stereophile, causing a flood of orders from FM enthusiasts all over the U.S. His system includes most every top Kenwood and Sansui tuner, Rega Planar 3 turntable, Source Technologies HRS harmonic recovery system, Grado Signature cartridge, Jolida 502A amplifier w/JJ KT-88's, Source Technologies speakers, Musical Design SP-2 preamp, Audio Electronic Supply AE-3 preamp w/6SN7 tubes, and Dynaco CDV-1 CD player with NOS tube stock. Ed lives in Connecticut.

I have to say thats one Realistic receiver that demands respect. It looks amazing all lit up like that. Enjoy her.

Thats a nice looking unit there..There are a few Realistic items I have that I will not part with... one being my STA-2080 receiver... it may not be a high wattage monster...but it has all the functions I would want on one..

Plus it has eye appeal to boot

1301Copy_of_STA_2080_002.jpg

The other are my Mach ones :banana:

:thmbsp: woof...woof!! :D

I had to set it on the floor to run my computer speakers after the lightning strike we got here blew the other ones out.

Need to get some airflow through it to keep it from getting too hot...

Got about an inch or so....

Last edited:
I love the looks of my STA-2100, especially the lighting! But the next Realistic receiver I want is the STA-2080, it is stunning to look at! A buddy of mine was at a flea market in Sacramento recently, called me on his cell phone and told me there was an STA-2080 that was clean, complete and functional, for $30. He wanted to know if he should buy it and I screamed YES YES YES! He didn't....

Last edited:
The STA-2100 is thee receiver that I want more than any other one.

I don't know what it is about it (aside from the stunning its specs).

I am on the hunt :smoke:

It's not. Another urban legend. Pioneer trannies were made by OEM manufacturer Bando. Other makes also subcontracted Bando to supply their transformers.

Damage said:
Is this a known fact?

Wow, my sta-100 is just a baby compared to that. It's in the shop right now, but i'll decide next week if i should keep it or not when i hear what it needs and the cost. If it's too much, i guess i'll pitch it even though i don't want to. I don't think it goes for much, so i don't want to put too much in it.

To say that a product was subject to a lawsuit or a patent dispute is a common ploy often used in an attempt to add kudos to the item. Sadly, more often than not, the truth is, there was no law suit, and no patent dispute. Not saying that was the case here, I don't know..

Back
Top Bottom