Realistic STA-2280 or STA-2700

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews & Opinions' started by Keneye, Mar 14, 2019.

1. Keneye

Keneye Member

I have both. Too many receivers and need to thin the herd. Help me decide which to keep. The 2700 is more powerful but all metal. The 2280 is less powerful but has the classic wood end panels. Both sound fine. What to do?

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Bill Ferris

Bill Ferris Super Member

Well Keneye, FWIW. I have only the STA-2700, and it`s the first new receiver I ever purchased, and was purchased in the mid nineties.
    It hasn`t been turned off in decades, and it provides clear good sound in my spare bedroom all day long, every day..
    And it`s delivering WAV. ripped background fairly loud music right now so I can hear it in this room nearby.

Of course, in my case, since I primarily listen to music provided by my equipment, and am less concerned about what it necessarily looks like, so things like wooden side panels would not be a consideration in my choice, but performance, reliability, and long life are more important, since I`m lazy, and dislike having to fix my audio equipment..

But that`s an opinion from a 64 year old never been married man, and if visual`s/presentation are important to you, go with the wood sided 2280.

Keneye likes this.
  3. Keneye

Keneye Member

I like wood sides but more concerned with any insights into performance differences besides raw power. I have a tin ear but I know some members have amazing insights into subtle differences in sound, build, etc.

Bill Ferris likes this.
  4. Bill Ferris

Bill Ferris Super Member

Fair enough, but always let your ears decide, "tin", or otherwise !

Keneye likes this.