Realistic STA-2300 Power Switch Question

chindokae

I have a 2300 with a bad power switch. It's the SDU3P Sanyo switch. I've ordered a replacement but when I pulled it I noticed that it appears to be a DPST switch. The connected side is no longer switching, but the unconnected/unused side is. I can't find a data sheet on the switch to see if it is indeed symmetrical.

Question: Has anyone tried moving the power wires to the unused side of the switch? Did it work?

The answer is: Yes, it works fine. I moved the two wires and the snubbing cap to the other terminals and it powered right up. There is a spare switch section, on the US models anyway.

Last edited:
Greetings;
Are you talking about orig. red.. to green switch.. or replacement.. Mine had an obnoxiously large supress cap on it and when removed it, the unit ran fine. looked original to me as I got from the shack dealer orig. owner.

I had same symptom appear again.. no going to green and I did an under chassis re-flow of all those wires to trees and the rectifier. (reminds me need to warm it up.. :D)
bink

I am referring to PS-3, the main power switch. It has large gauge red and white wires attached to the terminals. Only one side is used on US-only electronics. Realistic only ever sold 120 VAC models for the US, AFAIK. Dual voltage models (120/220) would need both sides. So for US-only models there is a spare switch section. If the first one fails, you just need to move the wires and the cap to the unused terminals.

The capacitor (C-1404) is there to prevent arcing that destroys switches. You need it. It will not cause any problems - unless it is missing.

SDU3P.jpg

Schematic.JPG

Back
Top Bottom