Realistic STA-65D no sound output

luaplerog

I just bought a sta-65d online. The seller said it was fully functional and tested it.. I plugged it in but am not getting any sound output at all (other than the occasional popping/crackle from my speakers)...I contacted him and he said that everything worked perfectly prior to shipping. The receiver is very clean and I'm not sure where to go from here...Any suggestions on what I should check?

Thanks!

Start with the basics. AUX/CDP as input, try speaker set A then B, also try with headphones.
Verify Tape Monitor switch correctly set to off or source. I didn't see and PRE-OUT/MAIN-IN
so not a missing link. Odd that both channels down, next step would be to verify power
supply is ok, if you have a multimeter and basic diy skills.

Start with the basics. AUX/CDP as input, try speaker set A then B, also try with headphones.
Verify Tape Monitor switch correctly set to off or source. I didn't see and PRE-OUT/MAIN-IN
so not a missing link. Odd that both channels down, next step would be to verify power
supply is ok, if you have a multimeter and basic diy skills.
So I left it powered on for about 10 mins and now there seems to be sound. It's a little distorted, but its working...Is this normal? It had to warm up? I've never had a receiver do this...

No, I wouldn't call the 10min wait normal. Suggest a tired component eg, cap, transistor,,, might even be a dry solder joint
(goggle for pix)

It's saying that it needs some care/refurbishment. Maybe monitor the situation, certainly check the bias as a basic health check.
Also physically inspect the amp for any stressed caps (bulging/receeded sleeves) and resistors.

No, I wouldn't call the 10min wait normal. Suggest a tired component eg, cap, transistor,,, might even be a dry solder joint
(goggle for pix)

It's saying that it needs some care/refurbishment. Maybe monitor the situation, certainly check the bias as a basic health check.
Also physically inspect the amp for any stressed caps (bulging/receeded sleeves) and resistors.
I'll look into it. I'm not sure tech savy so I need someone to walk me through. No bulging/receeded sleeves or anything that looks burnt, leaky, etc...The audio sounds pretty distorted though.

You will need a multimeter and ideally some mini-grabbers, prefer not to use aligator clips due to the amount of bare metal.
Need to measure the dc voltage across R617, it will be a larger white resistor near the heat sink. Mini-grabber on each side,
it will be in the mV range. Repeat for the right channel. Download the service manual/schematic from hifiengine, you need to
register, it's safe no spam etc...

You will need a multimeter and ideally some mini-grabbers, prefer not to use aligator clips due to the amount of bare metal.
Need to measure the dc voltage across R617, it will be a larger white resistor near the heat sink. Mini-grabber on each side,
it will be in the mV range. Repeat for the right channel. Download the service manual/schematic from hifiengine, you need to
register, it's safe no spam etc...
I'm registered on hifiengine and I have a multimeter. I'll look into this tomorrow after work. Thank you for your help. I really appreciate it.

Wiggle the tape monitor switch. Also, its possible that all it needs is to have the pots and switches cleaned.

Back
Top Bottom