Realistic STA-95

Joe DeQuarto

Good Day Everyone,
I am new to this site, but always read the articles from the observers’ standpoint.
I just purchased a set of wharfedale W70D’s and a Realistic STA-95 from the original owner, he purchased this equipment new and the first time it left the house was yesterday.
The receiver works like new except one thing, the tape three way selector switch is shorting and the result is you have to play with it for both right and left channel to work at full capacity in source mode.
My question: based on the fact that I will never be using tape function or dubbing options, is there anyone who knows if this switch can be bypassed to stay in source mode? I still have selector switch to toggle from six to phono and am/fm when needed.
Note: I am an electrician with extensive control wiring and termination experience so wiring and soldering is very easy and testing with digital multi-meters would be no problem.
The speakers are definitely in need of recap and heavy cleaning, BUT I love the sound quality already and would love to get both the receiver and speakers up to 100% and just sit and enjoy.
Any info would be great and very appreciated

Hello Joe, another newbie here. Welcome to AK. Can you get any contact cleaner or DeOxit fluid into the tape switch and operate it through its range? Sounds like you may have an open (dirty contacts) rather than a short? My guess is that you may be able to solder a bypass around the switch.

Back
Top Bottom