Reasonably priced tonearm cables - is there a such thing?

kstaskiewicz

Well, I just got myself a new toy for my audio-bedroom - a Systemdek II (the original, not the IIX) , courtesy of Kyle who is leaving to Ontario and had some stuff he didn't feel like packing and gave me a great deal on it :thmbsp:
I always liked this one - I love the unconventional, plinth-less construction and the simple, yet advanced design and engineering. Thanks Kyle!

I put a Linn Basik Plus arm on it and this combination seems to be rewarding me with some real beautiful music.

The only problem I'm having is with the tonearm cable for the Basik - it was very firmly :nono: attached to it's previous plinth which resulted in some (if not all) strands inside of one of the wires getting tired and breaking, as that one channel is all "crackling" and intermittent if the cable is moved.

Do you guys know of a reliable source for a decent quality tonearm cable that won't cost me an arm and a leg?
Kris

I had a very similiar problem with my Systemdek IIX. I could not find cables for under $500. A local shop, Audio Alternative in Lilburn, GA, had a set made for me for about $150. I think they had some other sets made as well. Do you want me to check with them to see if they still have some in stock? The cable has a ground wire and RCAs at one end and the DIN plug at the other. The cable was DH Labs.

John

Johncan,
You know, since I'm across the border after I add exchange, shipping, duties taxes and levies this will no longer be reasonable for a 2 ft interconnect anymore...
I think I will go the DIY route, just have to source the din plug...

Kris

If you can find Din plugs for under 35 bucks let me know where. I looked alot !

Thats why i steered you to that site with the ready made plugs for 50.00 :)

Another option is something like one of the old Sumiko PIB boxes. I paid 45 for mine. This will let you run regular RCA's of the length of your choice for the interface box to the preamp.

grumpy said:
If you can find Din plugs for under 35 bucks let me know where. I looked alot !

Thats why i steered you to that site with the ready made plugs for 50.00 :)
Yes, you're right it would be tough to pull-off...
But the one they have on the website (Linn tonearm cable) is listed as used...
I wonder if they took it out of a parts unit or perhaps it's a left-over after an upgrade... Just so I don't buy something I already have, which is a used Linn tonearm cable that's broken inside, eventhough it looks like new on the outside :scratch2:

Kris, PartsConexxion has phono cables with 90degree din ends and aslo separate connectors and cable for DIY version.

If this a standard 5 pin female DIN - Cardas offers a nice, straight in connector for for $16.95. I use Petra digital AV cables (formerly
Music Boy) which are very obtainable in Canada ($6.95 US). They're great - O2 free stranded coaxial. The DIY requires some stripping, trimming and adding ground wire of your choice. For a bit over $25 with shipping, this is a lot of bang for the buck.

I have a couple of extra cables from the Sonus arms I have been selling. Straight DIN on one end to two RCA's and a ground wire. If you HAVE to have 90 degrees this won't work if there is a bit of room under there for a straight one I will sell you one for $10 plus shipping.

rwortman said:
I have a couple of extra cables from the Sonus arms I have been selling. Straight DIN on one end to two RCA's and a ground wire. If you HAVE to have 90 degrees this won't work if there is a bit of room under there for a straight one I will sell you one for $10 plus shipping.
Rwortman, this is great!
I have some room, I think straight din will work just fine.
Can you tell me how long is the plug itself plus some room for the cable to go 90 degrees without to much stress?
I'm definitely interested, send me a pm.
Kris

Careful of the length of the connector and cable bend Kris. I used 90 degree din connectors for that reason. With the Linn arm and a straight DIN you may not have clearance if you have the Systemdek on a platform. You might also consider what I did with my RB300 arm. Add a junction box with RCAs and connect the tonearm wire directly. I re-wired my arm to the RCAs and used a decent set of ICs. Discovery cable is inexpensive and sounds much better than what comes in the arm. This is more the case in arms of the vintage that your Linn and my Rega are.

Agree with Kyle. The way to go would be to add a junction box (similar to Grumpy's idea about the Sumiko PIB). You can leave the current din in if you like and just add some length of wire from there to the box and then use whatever IC you want.

If you're ambitious you could rewire the arm with Cardas wire and take that wire direct to the junction box. If you want specifics I can post some pics of mine - I rewired my Project arm and added a junctiion box just a few months back. Works great.

Back
Top Bottom