Rebuilding JBL Barzilay cabinet pictorial

djnagle

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I got these a couple months back for a song and finally got to rebuilding them. They look great from the factory but are really flimsy. 5/8" partical board with 1/8" veneer. As you can see they are really well braced not and solid as a rock....heavy as a rock as well.

That is a JBL E140 woof I will use for the time being until my Lambda TD15H woofers get reconed. WinISD says they will die at 60hz but that is OK as I have 4 subs to pick up the slack.

IMAG0085.jpg

IMAG0077.jpg

IMAG0086.jpg

IMAG0088.jpg

IMAG0089.jpg

Here is the copper sheet waiting for the contact cement to dry
IMAG0082.jpg

Here is the anvil pressing down over night
IMAG0083.jpg

I didn't brace the backs so I put Dynamat on it the covered with with a thin sheet of wool then a thin sheet of fiberglass.
IMAG0090.jpg

IMAG0091.jpg

IMAG0092.jpg

Nice.

Reminds me of an idea in one of Weems' books where he recommended building large speakers by first framing the box with 2x4s and then adding the panels.

before all the bracing, I could push them on the side and make the top move 1". Now I can hardly get them off the workbench. The bracing is 2" x 2" which is actually 1.5" x 1.5" which worked out perfectly.

Everything is glued and screwed so they are going nowhere.

Thanks JBL. I have them running full range in the garage just to see how they sound. The cabs are tuned to 60hz via WinISD and I think that is very accurate from what I am hearing. The midbass is very tight though.

Looking good there Dennis! I think you knocked any potential "ring" out of them with all the bracing.

The copper adds an interesting touch!

RC

No ringing what so ever. This week I'll put the Edgarhorns and Heils on top and see how they sound.

Thanks SJ. it was a lot more work than I thought it would be. I chose the copper because I thought it would look good with the red horns.

djnagle,

Those look amazing. The copper is a very nice touch. They are undoubtedly a million times stiffer with the bracing. Well done.

I am having 4" tall x 3" wide spikes turned then plated copper. I will as Lao have the phase plug on the lambdas plated copper.

Deej, now you gotta update this thread with more details and more recent pix, or do a whole new build thread: After seeing your completed speakers, I am very curious about them.

S99 barzilay cabinets

Just purchased a set of s99 on CL. In Antioch. The cabinets are huge and beautiful walnut? Over plywood. Look just like the ones u restored. Paid 400.00 cash. The cabs and drivers are pristine. No stains , perfect all around.! Now I' m starting to feel better for giving up sooo much money.

Are those the ones that have been sitting on CL forever, with the LE14As and LE20s as I recall? They looked minty clean! I was soooooo tempted. You have to eWave those things. Just gotta.

You truly are a craftsman. I hope this type of work is more than just a hobby, I think you could make a comfortable living at this.

Yes they are the ones. The guy was greedy and asked too much. Got offers for less, listing ran out. Then relisted. I love them!!!I think the cabs are Barzilay. soo happy I purchased them. Just wish they were 3 way instead of two way.

Back
Top Bottom