Old Guy8

My Jazz buddy's: Cliff (RIP) & Cleo
Subscriber
Recently rebuilt basement after flood. Moving in just this week.. Mancave audio room is L-shape. 14.5' wide, enlarges to 18' in bar area. 23' long. 7' ceiling. Vinyl plank flooring replaced carpet. Bar is berber carpet wrapped. Bright room with echo to address. Speaker wire was routed inwall from behind amps to speakers.

Up coming project: Some sound treatments. Temporarily, some throw rugs in front of speakers. Polyfil sleeping bag bass traps in corners behind speakers. I have 6' x20' carpet remnant to use. Ideas are welcome!!!

Edit: If I used any diffusers, where would a good place to start????

Second project is finishing a double wide Flexi-rack from butcher blocks.

Set up these two systems, so far. (Turntables and records are still upstairs):
NAD 546 CD player
Rogue Sphinx hybrid amp
ADS L880/2 speakers

TV room, next roomIMG_20180304_202047.jpg IMG_20180304_202057.jpg IMG_20180304_195453.jpg IMG_20180304_194922.jpg IMG_20180304_200509.jpg over will have an AV system soon.

Marantz BD8002 used for CD's
Rogue Cronus Magnum V1
NLA's

Hats on speakers and covered furniture is cat protection.

Attachments

• IMG_20180304_202057.jpg
    IMG_20180304_202057.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
The Ol Cat Protection! I know it well Old Guy I bought a brand new Marshall half stack with a 100watt all tube Head the first week I had it My Cat jumped up on top and Puked all over the tubes under the top vent! :no: Your Man Cave is going to be EPIC!

Vinyl plank, as you know, creates sound reflections. Especially as compared to the wall-to-wall carpet I used to have. I use a plush (almost shag) area rug to tame the echo. Works great.

Looks good.

The Ol Cat Protection! I know it well Old Guy I bought a brand new Marshall half stack with a 100watt all tube Head the first week I had it My Cat jumped up on top and Puked all over the tubes under the top vent! :no: Your Man Cave is going to be EPIC!

I have a half mesh cover for Cronus tube amp. But doesn't breath as well with it. Hope cats stay off amp.
Thanks for comments.

Vinyl plank, as you know, creates sound reflections. Especially as compared to the wall-to-'twall carpet I used to have. I use a plush (almost shag) area rug to tame the echo. Works great.

Looks good.

Thanks for comment. Going to add a large rug with pads under. Or, use carpet remnant. Maybe a tapestry or two on open walls.Putting anything on ceiling won't get mgmt. approval.

Thanks for comment. Going to add a large rug with pads under. Or, use carpet remnant. Maybe a tapestry or two on open walls.Putting anything on ceiling won't get mgmt. approval.

I understand. My wife is looking for a tapestry for one of the walls. I wanted a hippie rug, but was vetoed. Bedroom and bathroom door (left open) on right corner tame reflections. Need the tapestry on the left. That being said, the sonic difference between the vinyl floor alone and with the rug is huge. Rug goes all the way under the listening couch.

Fuzzy_Rug.jpeg

IMG_20180305_221741.jpg
Added carpet remnant 6' x 20' down center of room. I think, And Cliff (orange tabby) agrees, that helped a little to tame room brightness. Montgomery Brothers, Grooveyard (jazz) CD playing. Marantz, Cronus Magnum, ADS. Sounds pretty good.

Last edited:
Nice! So, when is the AK shindig to break it all in properly? :D

For taming reflections, placing something soft (absorbent) on the walls at the first and second reflection points might help things a bit, especially with imaging. There is software out there to help with that, or, if you have a second person with a decent sized mirror, you can do it that way with less hassle. Sit in your listening spot--orange tabby optional. Have someone move the mirror along the left wall, starting next to the speaker and moving it towards you. When you see the reflection of the drivers in your left speaker in the mirror, that is your first reflection point. Keep moving the mirror until you see the drivers from the opposite (right hand) speaker in the mirror--there's your second reflection point. Repeat on the opposite wall and you're good to go.

Since you can't change the walls to have diagonal corners, triangular traps in the corners might help. Also, there is a trick PS Audio used in their Music Room 1. They noticed a very tight "slapback" echo during a hand clap test, and put a wide cove molding along the top of the wall, which got rid of it (the white molding at the ceiling, and also note the triangulated corners behind the speakers):

upload_2018-3-8_22-42-17.png

It's also possible a treatment behind the listening chair would help. But you don't want to make the room too dead!

Nice! So, when is the AK shindig to break it all in properly? :D

For taming reflections, placing something soft (absorbent) on the walls at the first and second reflection points might help things a bit, especially with imaging. There is software out there to help with that, or, if you have a second person with a decent sized mirror, you can do it that way with less hassle. Sit in your listening spot--orange tabby optional. Have someone move the mirror along the left wall, starting next to the speaker and moving it towards you. When you see the reflection of the drivers in your left speaker in the mirror, that is your first reflection point. Keep moving the mirror until you see the drivers from the opposite (right hand) speaker in the mirror--there's your second reflection point. Repeat on the opposite wall and you're good to go.

Since you can't change the walls to have diagonal corners, triangular traps in the corners might help. Also, there is a trick PS Audio used in their Music Room 1. They noticed a very tight "slapback" echo during a hand clap test, and put a wide cove molding along the top of the wall, which got rid of it (the white molding at the ceiling, and also note the triangulated corners behind the speakers):

View attachment 1132857

It's also possible a treatment behind the listening chair would help. But you don't want to make the room too dead!

Wildcat,
AK get to gether may be in future. I'm out in the sticks, so members I know have a drive.
I've sleeping bags as traps in corners. Wall panels may be a project this year. Will add a pad under carpet remnant.

IMG_20180326_120004.jpg IMG_20180328_202523.jpg IMG_20180328_202738.jpg
I've added a couple turntables to the two systems in cave. Rotated the NLA's out. Replaced with Ohm C2's with oem upgraded poly cone woofers. The Ohms give the ADS a "run for thier money".

Bought some new Lincoln Logs style slanted speaker stands, now under ADS L880's. An Ebay seller makes them of solid walnut, in Canada.

Still have stacked poly filled pillow bas traps in corners. They and floor covering have improved accoustics of room.

I had noticed the left speakers playing softer. Then closed sliding door on left and imbalance went away. Small things can effect.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom