Recapping a Sansui 1000A

The manual has a parts list. compare that with what your unit physically has. There are as many lists as there are owners, and each one is different. This is the "teaching a guy how to fish, vs. giving him the fish to eat."

This way, you learn how to read a schematic, against the spaghetti pile in the unit, and you can make decisions on what cap will actually fit in there, both electrically and physically.

Larry

Does any one have a Caps list for the 1000A ?

Best way is to look at the underside, and make a list. Not trying to be a smart arse but that is what I always do. I usually have in stock what I need and use the list to replenish what I am about to use.

For the .33µFD, I have found them available at some vendors for about $3.00 each. When I order capacitors, I never order what I need. If I need 4, I order 10. Shipping is negligible for the additional caps and one often gets a quantity parts break. Of course if the item is $45 each, all bets are off.

BTW, I would certainly agree with all aspects of what Mark has said. I know that I can draw harpoons my way when I say this but I am not into designer or boutique capacitors. I don't see the need. But it is one's decision, not mine! And I will put my equipment up against anyone's same model equipment in a double blind taste test. There won't be a difference...

HEY GREAT WORK, i have a sansui 1000a and i need to recap and setup it with original values.
Could you give me photos or wiring diagram and example where i should read and measure current and voltage values, and the resistor or cap i have to change and what type?
I know the output tubes have to be set for a bias current but i don´t know where i need to read, i know how to measure this values, volt, amp (mA or uA, etc.) but not where and how.
Could you make a complete step by step repair guide with photos and wiring indications?

Same applies here, start your own Thread, and try to avoid posting the same thing in different threads, it can become a bit confusing for us trying to help members....

The moderator may even move, edit, or delete the post........

Just a tip, read the AudioKarma rules, and the rules for the Sansui thread........:thmbsp:

Welcome, and as soon as we see your thread, Im sure the help will be along soon after.....we are a friendly bunch here.....:thmbsp:

Hi, i´m starting to restore my sansui 1000a but i need to know what kind of cap are this and what type i have to buy for replacement:

SUZUKI MP-R
SUZUKI MP-H
SUZUKI CPTNN-D ECN-U
ELNA OIL JPC-A

I hope all answer that you can send please

Hi there,
You really need to start your own thread....:thmbsp:

You will probably get more help this way.......

Hi there, I am new to AK, and hoping someone can help me. I am some way through restoring a sansui 1000a, I have come across a capacitor that I cant find on the manual, its a Bianchi 100uf 350v polar, as I can make out it is running into r179 and via a resistor to leg 6 on v4 & v5.

also on the MPX section with the 30uf 10v caps it looks like the earth side goes live ???
I'm afraid I only have 2 numbers from the serial number (84).
any help would be greatly appreciated.
thanks
Jermy

Attachments

• sansui 100a serial.JPG
    sansui 100a serial.JPG
    91.3 KB · Views: 57
  • sansui capacitor.JPG
    sansui capacitor.JPG
    153.6 KB · Views: 59
I think the big blue capacitor may be a replacement capacitor (perhaps wrongly still attached to the main power supply caps C156 and C160).

I did not see the second 2 caps. in the MPX section (any capacitors with the negative side connected to a "hot" line may be in the bias circuits as bias Voltages are negative wih respect to ground, the bias circuit also powers the solid state phonograph input stage).
BTW, all the capacitors on the schematic aren't showing polarity ON the schematic.

Mark T. :music:

Hi Mark, yes you are right, its from 156 or 160, I Have replaced so heading in the right direction.
Sorry I am rather new to all this. so caps on the schematic with the shaded are polarized but in the phono section they are not, hum suppose I had better order some new non-polarized caps.
I'm still awaiting a variac. how slowly do you take to bring it up to voltage ???
Thanks again for you help and knowledge.
Jeremy

Serial # (if it's still there) will be either a stencil # between the AM antenna and the one output transformer, or a stencil or tag near the center back between the output and the power transformer.

About 1970 the capacitor industry changed the values. The 200uf 25WV 40 SV cap works out to 200 microfarad 25 "WORKING VOLTS", 40 "SURGE VOLTS". The replacement cap would be a 220uf/25V,35v, or 50v. The caps with a + going to ground aren't actually showing the positive side gong to ground. It was actually a shielding setup. The + equates to the outside layer hookup, which is the shielded side. It's more than likely a SUZUKI PIO. This is a BIPOLAR (non polarized) cap. You can use Vit Q, Orange Drops, Illinois caps, or any other bipolar cap as long as the values are within spec.

The separate resistor is R127. It's mismarked on the schematic as R179. See pic attached.

As for what capacitors to use, that is up to you, but Orange drops and Cornell Dublier, and Mallory are good standard replacements. The Orange Drops can get quite large in some places (the .33/600V coupling caps at the outputs come to mind) and you may or may not want to squeeze them in. As there isn't a lot of room Sprague caps aren't really recommended for size.

I used Orange Drops(715's) and CD DME series caps. I don't subscribe to the 716's sounding better because of the copper leads. They sound the same to me.

Larry
Need some help identifying witch model 1000A this is pleas

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 16
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 16
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    192 KB · Views: 16
Jason; Judging from the big white power resistor laying on it's side, the later style Sansui ID Plate on the Power transformer, & 4 bias pots, it's a LATE Edition (probably '69 to '71). This would be the last iteration of 4 bias pot model before production stopped. AND it looks like it's still Virgin underneath.

I WOULD recommend if you DO rehab this unit, to start your own thread so any and all questions you ask are answered directly pertaining to your unit. It gets really confusing when 5 guys have the same unit,asking questions, and 15 guys are answering questions.

Last edited:
Jason; Judging from the big white power resistor laying on it's side, the later style Sansui ID Plate on the Power transformer, & 4 bias pots, it's a LATE Edition (probably '69 to '71). This would be the last iteration of 4 bias pot model before production stopped. AND it looks like it's still Virgin underneath.

I WOULD recommend if you DO rehab this unit, to start your own thread so any and all questions you ask are answered directly pertaining to your unit. It gets really confusing when 5 guys have the same unit,asking questions, and 15 guys are answering questions.
Awesome I will definitely start a journal thanks for the info

Back
Top Bottom