Recapping/Upgrading an Audio Research LS-5.

mandawebs

Good evening,

I am thinking about recapping/upgrading my beloved Audio Research LS-5. I am not able to do it anyhow, so I have found a good technician that can get this done.

Anyhow, this person is a good tech but has not done many LS-5 recaps/upgrades, so I prefer to give them the list of items to have updated and the parts to use.... If I can get experienced people advising that have taken the LS-5 -or other comparable ARC preamps- to the max.

The unit I have is a MKIII.

What upgrades and caps are recommended?. Transformer upgrade?. Anything else?.

Thanks. Best regards,

Mandawebs.

Good evening,

I am thinking about recapping/upgrading my beloved Audio Research LS-5. I am not able to do it anyhow, so I have found a good technician that can get this done.

Anyhow, this person is a good tech but has not done many LS-5 recaps/upgrades, so I prefer to give them the list of items to have updated and the parts to use.... If I can get experienced people advising that have taken the LS-5 -or other comparable ARC preamps- to the max.

The unit I have is a MKIII.

What upgrades and caps are recommended?. Transformer upgrade?. Anything else?.

Thanks. Best regards,

Mandawebs.
None at all !
If there is nothing wrong with it , don't fuzz with it !

The only parts that you should even consider replacing are the electrolytic capacitors in the power supply. Mind you,Audio Research uses only top quality parts in the first place,runs them conservatively,and in a preamp,there is really not a lot of thermal or electrical stress involved.I doubt that these would require replacing at this point.

In any event,these capacitors are name-brand,standard off the shelf items,and should be replaced with identical types,brands and values..They are available from all major suppliers,ie Digikey & Mouser.

In my mind,there is absolutely nothing to be gained from monkeying about in the signal path of this unit.The capacitors used were chosen by ARC for very specific reasons and performance requirements.No boutique capacitors need apply........

As far as ''taking it to the max'' goes,it was at the max when it left the factory.Nothing anybody can do to this unit will make it better,only different.And any changes will probably impair the original performance.

Just my 2¢; I have been repairing & restoring ARC equipment for over 20 years,and I use their gear exclusively in my two main systems:)

Bumping this old thread.

Anyone ever do the Stealth Cap upgrade on the LS-5? (which I think ARC charges roughly $800 for, off the top of my head).

Back
Top Bottom