Receiver or Integrated Amp Recommendations

Angry Possum

Im looking to purchase a used receiver or integrated amp preferably manufactured in Japan with a phono pre amp input, in the cost range of about 150 bucks. Im actually leaning towards an integrated amp now but up to suggestions with a receiver too. Any suggestions on a brand and model # for a good integrated amp or receiver? Looking at about 100 watts or more. I currently own an Onkyo TX 82 that works well, but could use a little more power.

Moving this to solid state from Tuners.. nothing about radio here... to add my 2 cents.. been my experience that 100 + watts is going to cost significantly more than $150.

Acurus DIA 100 Mk II

It's basically a passive preamp and 100 watt power amp in one box. The company is US and the goal was to put out great sounding gear at a low cost. They where able to do both and today their gear is under the radar. Do to the time of this gear it doesn't have a built in phono stage but that can be added with a stand alone.

I was able to by mine for $180 a couple years ago.

A side note, if your a collector of equipment it's one thing t be specific to country of origin. If you looking for quality, sound and within a budget I think you should be open minded.

Acurus had a whole line of separates and a few integrates, look them up.

For vintage SS integrated amps within the OP's budget...some models that might be worth looking at could be:
Harman Kardon PM665
Luxman L-430
NAD 3080
Technics SU-V9
Yamaha A-700

Technically, the NAD is rated at 90 wpc @ 8 ohms, but has lots of dynamic power. I've owned the Luxman, Technics and Yamaha and liked them all. I own an H/K PM665vxi which has been problematic and this series of H/K amps typically have issues with the push button switches. The Yamaha is a wonderful amp that can be found for cheap. Not sure if the OP is looking for strictly silver-faced models, but the Luxman and Technics fit that requirement, The H/K and Technics models came in both black and silver face.

Sony TA-F444ESII integrated amp is rated at 100 wpc. It has three phono settings for MM, MC low output and MC high output. They sell on ebay for $50-75 which is dirt cheap considering they are true ES units. The TA-F555ESII could be within your range. The TA-F800ES is not within your budget but I will throw it out there because it is dual transformer which is always worth stretching for.

As far as receivers go, if you are willing to take on a BPC unit, 100 wpc is easily within reach and you get remote control and digital tuner with presets so you can channel surf. Look at the Yamaha RX-777 which is 100 wpc and has the same Top-Art amp section as the A-700 integrated. Onkyo TX-8511 and TX-8522 are 100 wpc. Sherwood 4109 is the least expensive and makes the grade with 100 wpc. Pioneer was in this segment as well. Phono will be limited to MM however.

If AV is an option, there are many, many well made models that have been devastated by depreciation. For example, the Marantz SR8001 cost $1650 in 2006 but is only $75 on ebay! Denon AVR 2807 is 110 wpc and is around $50. Both have MM phono. These are the one's I have priced recently but I imagine all others are similarly depreciated. Local pickup off ebay is your best value. Be sure to get the remote as replacement can sometimes exceed the cost of the unit itself.

Last edited:
Sony TA-F444ESII integrated amp is rated at 100 wpc. It has three phono settings for MM, MC low output and MC high output. They sell on ebay for $50-75 which is dirt cheap considering they are true ES units. The TA-F555ESII could be within your range. The TA-F800ES is not within your budget but I will throw it out there because it is dual transformer which is always worth stretching for.

As far as receivers go, if you are willing to take on a BPC unit, 100 wpc is easily within reach and you get remote control and digital tuner with presets so you can channel surf. Look at the Yamaha RX-777 which is 100 wpc and has the same Top-Art amp section as the A-700 integrated. Onkyo TX-8511 and TX-8522 are 100 wpc. Sherwood 4109 is the least expensive and makes the grade with 100 wpc. Pioneer was in this segment as well. Phono will be limited to MM however.

If AV is an option, there are many, many well made models that have been devastated by depreciation. For example, the Marantz SR8001 cost $1650 in 2006 but is only $75 on ebay! Denon AVR 2807 is 110 wpc and is around $50. Both have MM phono. These are the one's I have priced recently but I imagine all others are similarly depreciated. Local pickup off ebay is your best value. Be sure to get the remote as replacement can sometimes exceed the cost of the unit itself.

Thanks...

If you want to go into the lesser known amplifiers, look into the "generic" CA-87x series from the late 80's by Fisher. often can be found under $100 and have power to boot

CA-870 100WPC 0.05% THD
CA-871 110WPC 0.09% THD
CA-872 120WPC 0.09% THD
CA-873 130WPC 0.09% THD
CA-874 140WPC 0.05% THD
CA-875 150WPC 0.05% THD
CA-876 160WPC 0.05% THD

Going back a couple years, the much harder to find and sought after CA-276 with the same 150WPC as the CA-875 but due to 4 outputs per channel can achieve a lower THD value around 0.005%
Not Bad.

I've owned two Yamaha A-700's and found both on the auction site for well under the OP's budget, To date, I have not found a better sounding vintage integrated with that much power for the price. I also own a Yamaha A-1000 which is even better.

That's a tall order for that budget. You will be hard pressed or damned lucky to get anything with a phono stage and 100+ wpc for $150.

Especially conservatively engineered and made, and reliable. And especially so, if you're driving reactive or 4 ohm load speakers which dip with frequency. Be mindful in the glory days pre 1980 muscle receiver era, that the old behemoth models in that power class were $750 or more new (before discounts). If you curb the 100 plus WPC desire to half that, you'd have better possibilities close to your budget.

Check out Denon PMA. 80's units go for about that price.

That 80's Denon series are excellent sounding integrated amps. I like my PMA900V. The HKs from that time period sound great, but those little switches are problematic. I think just about anything good with 100wpc and phono will be diificult to find for $150.00. In 2009, I stumbled upon an Onkyo TS-DX595 AVR and have been surprisingly impressed by it. Hence, you may want to look for an AVR that has phono. Good luck.

Especially conservatively engineered and made, and reliable. And especially so, if you're driving reactive or 4 ohm load speakers which dip with frequency. Be mindful in the glory days pre 1980 muscle receiver era, that the old behemoth models in that power class were $750 or more new (before discounts). If you curb the 100 plus WPC desire to half that, you'd have better possibilities close to your budget.

I totally agree for many reasons, but if for nothing more than the principle that power rating does not = performance, or sound quality. Unless you are throwing a frat party every weekend, most people really don't use all that much power--granted, I've got my share of "monster" amps and receivers around here, but nothing within the OPs budget, and they spend the bulk of their time barely over "idle".

I've heard "lowly" 35-50wpc NAD gear eat 100wpc gear for lunch because of their "dynamic" power on tap and ability to handle "difficult" speakers. Not knocking Pioneer in any way (so put away the flame throwers), but IME, I prefer the sound of their "mid-level" gear over the TOTL SPEC gear and even the mighty SX-1980--it's not all about the power, and a good phono stage and less power is much more affordable for the OP.

Older Technics SU-G integrateds are very decent, can be found cheap. AVRs with phono input like Pioneer VSX 93/95/9700 are very good if you find them with no display issues. More modern AVRs like Denon-3802 can go for pennies on the dollar. You'll need a remote to set them up right, but you are getting a lot of value for your money.

Never heard a NAD I liked (but I only owned one and it was supposed to be good).

I've owned two Yamaha A-700's and found both on the auction site for well under the OP's budget, To date, I have not found a better sounding vintage integrated with that much power for the price. I also own a Yamaha A-1000 which is even better.

Same here, a Yamaha A-1000 and a few A-700s.
Real sleepers, sound better than some separates too in my experience.

Worth restoring if hitting the "magic switch" regularly though.

Back
Top Bottom