Receiver wont play dialogue when watching movies

Nerif

Hi There,

I just got Chromecast, which is an HDMI dongle that I'm plugging into my Yamaha receiver.

My issue may be related to HDMI in general, but I'm not sure.

When I use it, the audio setting automatically switches to "Straight", which assumes I have a Front speaker. So, I lose dialogue but not music in a lot of movies. I have not found a way to either switch back to "2-Channel" or to change the setting manually for "Straight", or just universally get the receiver to recognize that I only have a L and a R speaker setup.

The manual has been no help.

I am not familar with Chromecast device but I had similar trouble connecting digital output from TV to a 2-ch setup. Mine seemed mainly a problem with source like Netflix. In Netflix I was able to select 2-ch/stereo rather than 5.1 audio then the problem was solved. Maybe a similar solution for you?

I might add that this problem only occurs when casting Netflix, Hbo and so on. But casting YouTube works fine.

I might add that this problem only occurs when casting Netflix, Hbo and so on. But casting YouTube works fine.

OK there is your answer in part. Youtube does not do surround Dolby. Netflix and HBO does. Depending on how old your receiver if it cannot decode any of the surround formats there will be no sound. The Chromcast dongle does not have any provision for an analog output.

Nevermind. I fixed it.
Appearently, my brother had borrowed my speakers without my knowledge and managed to put one speaker in the front input and one in the surround input. Haha.

It's has to do with the new dolby home theater standards and not your receiver or chromecast. On my old system, DVDs play fine and so do two channel sources (mp4, mkv, etc.) but blueray middle channel does not play loud enough on some passages to hear dialog. I gave up on blueray and surround sound after my denon died(stuped denon, I'm not buying you again). I was able to fix the problem buy raising the center channel volume on the receiver settings (it was in the manual speaker setting that determine the loudness). Try this and see if it works. If you have access to a dvd, then try playing that as a source.

So the leason here is that modern dolby sucks, new movies suck and blue ray sucks.

LOL.

Check post #7.
New dolby does suck. I can't hear the dialog when there are explosions and car crashes(so I went back to stereo two channel and then just stopped watching anything). The surround experience isn't as good either. I think DVDs and whatever dolby they used are better. It's AC-3 vs dolby atmos. Had the same experience with dolby b/c and the fake nr used on late 80s devices.

New dolby does suck. I can't hear the dialog when there are explosions and car crashes(so I went back to stereo two channel and then just stopped watching anything). The surround experience isn't as good either. I think DVDs and whatever dolby they used are better. It's AC-3 vs dolby atmos. Had the same experience with dolby b/c and the fake nr used on late 80s devices.

The problem isn't with the Dolby, it's something with your system/settings/setup.

Back
Top Bottom