Recently got another classic after selling my other one..

Galaxie65

Always looking for new gear to try
So I had to sell off my 1978 Ford Bronco and it was really a tough one to let go. It was an XLT Ranger that was manual, NP435, Warn Lockers, 460 installed from dealership (Crazy I know) and was just a hoot to drive. I brought it back to life after sitting for years and only enjoyed it for a short period before selling it off. Needed to put money into new home, take care of wife, the normal stuff. So I was naturally down about not having a classic so I would look off and on for one. Well I came across one that I just couldn't get out of my head and ended up picking it up. Here is a little back story,

Current owner bought it with his father 20+ years ago after scrutinizing it over and over as a good candidate for a restore. The car in question? a 1968 Mercury Cougar XR-7 in Polar White with Saddle interior. The car was equipped with a 302 (2V), C4 trans, Power Disc brakes (Front), AC Car and had optional leather buckets in front. The car when I bought it was clean for sitting so long and actually sank into the ground about 3in or more! The drivetrain was removed well before I bought it and wouldn't you know they had it all in the garage when they bough it. So it's a factory matching drivetrain including the vin stamped on the trans case! The engine was all cast on 12/27/67 from the numbers which in its self is a rare thing to see. Normally I see castings the range from a few days to weeks on a build. But this one ended up having the heads, block and intake all matching on date code.

So I have this car that I want to build and bring back to life and well we all know what that means... I'll have to sell off some gear to make funds for the car. I'll have some pics to upload but wanted to share a little with you all on my new toy and why I'm selling stuff off in BT lol. I'm happy to have another classic to work on and give me something to do in the winter months along with spinning vinyl.

A Crougar!! XR-7, and Polar white. Wow, its got eyes, for sure!
Cool beans - def share pix!

Cool car,, I remember my Uncle bought one new in 68,,, let me drive it when i was home on leave,,, GF loved it,,, I got a 70 Torino 351 Cleveland, a while later... Have fun!!!

My son drove a big-engine Cougar of similar vintage, just around the lot at the dealership where he works. They were moving it around inside the showroom. 4-wheel drum brakes. He said the brakes would barely stop the car when maneuvering at idle, indoors. So you done good to get the disks!
5-segment sequential turn signals?

And as it turns out, I am looking for a 460 powered bronco to leave at the lake hooked up to my boat...day late, many dollars short I guess!

Back
Top Bottom