Reckless attempt at resurecting a Kenwood KR-790

Also this is a rare unit and there's no SM, so best of luck I guess....

This receiver has very good specifications. They are listed on the schematic, which is available at ET (no registration required).
Basic specs are:
DC to 320kHz +0,-3dB
120 Watt/ch, 0.01% distortion (20Hz-20kHz, 8 Ohm)

There's also a user manual for what looks like a lower model, KR-770, at HFE (registration required).

This receiver has very good specifications. They are listed on the schematic, which is available at ET (no registration required).
Basic specs are:
DC to 320kHz +0,-3dB
120 Watt/ch, 0.01% distortion (20Hz-20kHz, 8 Ohm)

There's also a user manual for what looks like a lower model, KR-770, at HFE (registration required).

Thanks for the info. Really helpful! I can definitely feel the power of this amp. Drives my 4ohm speakers really well.

Just an update.. Finally assembled this beast back after replacing all burnt out indicator lamps. Big shout out to fellow AKers here namely pskaudio and David of DGWOJO.COM for the replacement lamps! Now if I can only find a replacement for that one missing knob.
Here she is on a new lease on life:
20180920_201147.jpg
20180920_201424.jpg

Last edited:
Just an update.. Finally assembled this beast back after replacing all burnt out indicator lamps. Big shout out to fellow AKers here namely pskaudio and David of DGWOJO.COM for the replacement lamps! Now if I can only find a replacement for that one missing knob.
Here she is on a new lease on life:
View attachment 1286542
View attachment 1286545

MVC-001S.JPG
didn't see your posts until crawling through threads today.
belated congratulations on pickup and revival of a rare bird.
believe these were marketed through military outlets.
other than the links provided above, have had a heck of a time finding information on them.
this is the only amp i've had that can make sansui speakers actually sound good.

View attachment 2561804
didn't see your posts until crawling through threads today.
belated congratulations on pickup and revival of a rare bird.
believe these were marketed through military outlets.
other than the links provided above, have had a heck of a time finding information on them.
this is the only amp i've had that can make sansui speakers actually sound good.
Wow. Looks cool and sounds good in decent working condition! And still very serviceable gear! If this is your 'thing'. Kenwood had a beautifull well build top sounding seperate line also during that time!
Good score and repair. I's really a beautifull piece of kit!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom