Recommend a “fun” car for under 30k?

Crestwood23

He said touch it in the back
We’ve been a one car family for a long time, and more often than not that one car has been an extrmely safe and practical and boring Toyota Highlander.

We find more and more we really need a second vehicle now and then, so I’m thinking this could be my pre midlife crisis hot rod! My wife values reliability over all else, which is why she insists on leasing a new Highlander every 3 years as our primary car (which we’ll continue to do).

I’d still like something reliable and a decent investment, not something that would be in the shop all the time or something that would just look pretty in the garage - I want to actually drive it and have some fun.

So... I’ve always dreamt of owning a Porsche 911 - my first thought was to find something like a 2000’s 996 model - maybe a CS as I might be driving it in the snow in a pinch. Unfortunately would need an auto trans so my wife could drive it easily. They seem to be well built and have good resell value should i decide to sell it a few years down the road. For around 30k is there anything else I should consider?

Last edited:
Based on the increase in resale value for older Porsche’s I’d think the 993 should hold its value.
Invest in your passion, no sense owning a crap car that everyone else thinks will go up in value. Adjusted for inflation it’s a poor investment anyway you look at it.

Have you considered the Mazda Miata (today called the MX 5)?

Have had many friends with one and they love them.

Enjoy the hunt.....fun "project" to be working on.

Definitely want a coupe/hard top - Is there a hard top Miata?

Based on the increase in resale value for older Porsche’s I’d think the 993 should hold its value.
Invest in your passion, no sense owning a crap car that everyone else thinks will go up in value. Adjusted for inflation it’s a poor investment anyway you look at it.

Yeah “investment” was maybe the wrong word - you’re right that no matter what the return will be poor.

2015-2017 Mustang GT

435hp, shouldn't have any problem finding one in your price range. Just picked up a 2017 with 2400 miles on the odometer for just under 30k.

View attachment 1319355
View attachment 1319349
View attachment 1319350

Forgot about Mustang! I used to have a black 67 fastback - that was an awesome car. Yours looks really beautiful - good luck with it.

Definitely want a coupe/hard top - Is there a hard top Miata?

Yeah “investment” was maybe the wrong word - you’re right that no matter what the return will be poor.

Forgot about Mustang! I used to have a black 67 fastback - that was an awesome car. Yours looks really beautiful - good luck with it.

I know some model years had a retractable hard top.....so that may not suffice.

Enjoy the process!!

For a non business person leasing a car is just like renting so you are loosing a huge amount of $ that you could invest or save toward your home I think somebody just wants an excuse to drive new or almost new all the time! . That reliability thing is not valid either as I have found good used to be more reliable than many new vehicles I read about. I drive a 22 year old cars and 30 year old trucks and older finding them to be super reliable (as long as you maintain them) , plus they are low cost for parts and insurance which is crazy on late model vehicles.

The newer Porsche 911 (when they became water cooled) switched to cheaper quality engine with a limited life span so they can make more $ plus parts and service are for the wealthy! If you could do your own repairs you would be well ahead (save big $) with the older air cooled ones, but they have gone up in price a lot since people realize their quality. As for driving it in the winter, that is for the rich that don't care about the car!

Miata's rust so best not to run in the winter.

Audi does the same rust proofing as Porsche (heavily galvanized) so their sports cars may be a good buy and more affordable to run. BMW has gone to the same 12 yr rust warranty about 2 yrs ago so they are likely doing the same thing there as Audi/Porsche.

Last edited:
We’ve been a one car family for a long time, and more often than not that one car has been an extrmely safe and practical and boring Toyota Highlander.

We find more and more we really need a second vehicle now and then, so I’m thinking this could be my pre midlife crisis hot rod! My wife values reliability over all else, which is why she insists on leasing a new Highlander every 3 years as our primary car (which we’ll continue to do).

I’d still like something reliable and a decent investment, not something that would be in the shop all the time or something that would just look pretty in the garage - I want to actually drive it and have some fun.

So... I’ve always dreamt of owning a Porsche 911 - my first thought was to find something like a 2000’s 993 model - maybe a CS as I might be driving it in the snow in a pinch. Unfortunately would need an auto trans so my wife could drive it easily. They seem to be well built and have good resell value should i decide to sell it a few years down the road. For around 30k is there anything else I should consider?
for the cost, look at a 1st or second gen caddy cts-v or even the sts-v

the sts was built in low numbers so there is almost no data on the supercharged engine with respect to head gasket failures, but the cts has an unbreakable SBC...

eta: if it were my $$ Id get a used rust free early 70's el camino and work up a 396 for grins

Last edited:
For a non business person leasing a car is just like renting so you are loosing a huge amount of $ that you could invest or save toward your home I think somebody just wants an excuse to drive new or almost new all the time! . That reliability thing is not valid either as I have found good used to be more reliable than many new vehicles I read about. I drive a 22 year old cars and 30 year old trucks and older finding them to be super reliable (as long as you maintain them) , plus they are low cost for parts and insurance which is crazy on late model vehicles.

The newer Porsche 911 (when they became water cooled) switched to cheaper quality engine with a limited life span so they can make more $ plus parts and service are for the wealthy! If you could do your own repairs you would be well ahead (save big $) with the older air cooled ones, but they have gone up in price a lot since people realize their quality. As for driving it in the winter, that is for the rich that don't care about the car!

Miata's rust so best not to run in the winter.

Audi does the same rust proofing as Porsche (heavily galvanized) so their sports cars may be a good buy and more affordable to run. BMW has gone to the same 12 yr rust warranty about 2 yrs ago so they are likely doing the same thing there as Audi/Porsche.

LOL yeah i think you’re onto something - my wife definitely likes NEW! She’s had bad luck with used cars in her youth, hence the phobia. I’ve tried to talk sense into her with some of the points you spoke about - and she’s not having it! So I’m afraid i am destined to live in lease hell for eternity. BUT she’s is open to used car for our second vehicle.

I really wouldn’t do much winter driving so hopefully rust wouldn’t be much of a factor.

for the cost, look at a 1st or second gen caddy cts-v or even the sts-v

the sts was built in low numbers so there is almost no data on the supercharged engine with respect to head gasket failures, but the cts has an unbreakable SBC...

eta: if it were my $$ Id get a used rust free early 70's el camino and work up a 396 for grins

My wife thinks all caddy’s are for senior citizens- of course she’s never driven a cts-v. My first car was a ‘78 Caddy so I have a soft spot for them. I might be looking at divorce if I brought a 70’s el Camino home!!

Define you opinion of fun. Do you like the twisties or just going in a straight line. Most of the people I see driving fun cars are old and just put - put around. I smoke 99% of them in my diesel VW wagon. It will do 130mph and rails the corners all the while getting phenomenal mileage.

Well, roadsters with hard tops available, but my choice would be a Honda S2000, or maybe Toyota MR2.
Haven't driven an S2000, but have sat in one for a while, and was surprised how comfy it was.
A quick look on autotrader shows that most of the S2000s now are fairly high mileage, so they sure get driven a lot.
Those are also well under $30k nowadays....huh.
Oh! for a coupe, how about a Honda NSX?? :)

There are so very many ways to have fun on 4 wheels. First off, I'd suggest you start surfing bringatrailer.com to get yourself up to speed on prices and availability of enthusiast vehicles. It might be the best "one stop shop" you'll find to get exposed to both excellent used cars, and incredibly knowledgeable car nuts.

If the 911 is your benchmark, then I'd say consider the Boxster too. As well as the Corvette at the very least.

If you're more of a sedan guy, the venerable BMW 3 series or Infiniti G35/37 are both excellent ways to have a ton of fun in a relatively inconspicuous package.

If you want to move into uber sedans, there are many choices like the already mentioned CTS-V, as well as the Panamera, Audi S6/S8, Benz E55/E63 and BMW M5. As you watch BaT you'll get a feel for how mileage, condition and age affect the value of these crazy-fast sedans.

If you're into small and light you can't go wrong with a Miata, or an S2000.

If you're into muscle then a 'stang, Camaro or Charger/Challenger would all be fun choices for making great V8 noises and leaving black stripes away from every intersection.

Let us know as you narrow the field...

jblnut

On the web there is a Site for a TV show called Gearz. (With a z, not s). In the first 2 seasons then did a project to drop a V8 Ford HO engine into a first gen Mazda, and claimed that the project could be brought in for about $20 grand or so. they also referenced a source for parts, information, and help called Monster Miatas. If you want a project for a mid-life crisis car that will go like scat (250 HP in a car that light) then take a look. The project they did used a 400 HP crate engine instead of a salvage yard rig and that will probable need real high performance driver training to get the most out of it.

Whatever you decide to do, Good Luck and Enjoy.

Shelly_D

Here is the web site for the program. The project is spread out over season 1 & 2. They called it the "Banshee"
https://staceydavid.com/

Here is the website for the Kits and stuff:
http://www.monstermiata.com/

Last edited:
. I smoke 99% of them in my diesel VW wagon. .

I used to do that, until vw paid me a ton of $$$ to sell it back to them....but TDi sportwagens with the 6M are enjoyable.

(Until the AC goes out. Or the dual mass flywheel explodes. Or the injectors clog because most stations are selling B5 secretly - all of which is why I took the $$$ gleefully)

Define you opinion of fun. Do you like the twisties or just going in a straight line. Most of the people I see driving fun cars are old and just put - put around. I smoke 99% of them in my diesel VW wagon. It will do 130mph and rails the corners all the while getting phenomenal mileage.

I like more twistes than straight lines - I like horsepower and torque too - I think this is my chance to grab some serious power and still convince my wife this is a perfectly practical automobile. I had a few VW’s in the past and got screwed over bigtime by the dealership, that plus the emissions scandal means no more VW’s ever for me. A sad end to a formerly great brand.

Back
Top Bottom