Recommend a “fun” car for under 30k?

I love the Coyote motor and I think the Ford is the better looking car, but from a pure handling standpoint the Camaro is on top right now IMO, unless you're talking about the GT350. :naughty:
How about the 2 seat GT350R, now thats a beast. The rear tires look like slicks, i had to ask the salesman if it was street legal, he said it was lol.

2016-Ford-Mustang-Shelby-GT350R-720x340 (1).jpg

The Infinity G35 coupe is a real looker and scoots down the road well, as does its cousin the Nissan Z 350/370. Stay away from Audi's.
Good luck.

I was reading this thread and was just thinking Infiniti. I just bought a 2002 I35 with the 3.5 V6 for $1600 and wow that thing is suprisingly fast, and with the VDC system it handles corners very well also, so I can only imagine what you could get for around $30k.. A much more recent Infiniti sedan might be right up your alley, lots of luxury and performance plus it will hold its resale better than most true sports cars.
Or, you could spring for the 2008-2010 G37 with the 3.7L V6, choice of rear wheel drive or all wheel drive, AND choice of 6 speed manual or 7 speed automatic. Spend maybe $10k or whatever and pocket the rest and still have a blast. It was this guy's #1 choice for "luxury" cars under $10k--check out the 9:20 mark:

Infiniti G50 Sedan isn't reliable as a friend had one with major problems with the transmission and electrical so he got rid of it. Consumer Reports said basically the same thing.

By and large I think Infiniti makes reliable cars. My mom had had the G37 for like 8 years now with no major issues. All makes crank out a dud every now and again though.

Friend of mine bought a 996 gen 911 for like $10k a few years back because it'd sat uncared for for like 7 years and the motor/tranny had issues. He spent about as much as the car cost on the rebuild but he ended up with basically a brand new motor/tranny for the same amount of cash that "well cared for" examples were going for at the time. I thought that it was a pretty smart buy for someone with the chops to shepherd the rebuild process.

for the cost, look at a 1st or second gen caddy cts-v or even the sts-v

I was about to suggest the same, I've been looking at them myself.

Early second gen models can be had for less than 30k, what's not to like about 550hp of supercharged LS9 goodness.

It also has a legit back seat.

Last edited:
Friend of mine bought a 996 gen 911 for like $10k a few years back because it'd sat uncared for for like 7 years and the motor/tranny had issues. He spent about as much as the car cost on the rebuild but he ended up with basically a brand new motor/tranny for the same amount of cash that "well cared for" examples were going for at the time. I thought that it was a pretty smart buy for someone with the chops to shepherd the rebuild process.

Man I wish i had some clue about wrenching things myself, but I don’t. I don’t even have a mechanic buddy I can get opinions from! I am jealous of dudes like your friend - seems like some great deals can be had that way.

Well it looks like the OP of this thread already had his mind made up on what he's wanting so no need for further suggestions.

Moving on...

Nah not really, I really wanted to hear some alternatives to the 911 so this all has been very helpful! My wife might want something a bit more practical so it’s great to have sensible backup (like a 500hp Caddy or mustang GT!).

Nah not really, I really wanted to hear some alternatives to the 911 so this all has been very helpful! My wife might want something a bit more practical so it’s great to have sensible backup (like a 500hp Caddy or mustang GT!).

Myself and others on the same page as you, C23.

Great POV's supported by various personal experiences. :thumbsup: We ALL learn along the way, and there's always some obscure suggestion that has some degree of merit. Interesting thread to date, it has!

Most threads die a natural way. If boring to read, then don't keep coming back to it. IMHO

Q

Have you driven one of the newer Mustang GT's?

@Crestwood23

Many of these suggestions I do not agree with, but to each their own. My recommendations...

VW R32 Mk5. Unbeatable fun. And this car will smoke most of what has been suggested off of the line due to its lower mass:HP ratio. 4WD means power is split 4 ways, so less tire smoking AND makes it extremely nimble on curves. And boy, does that 3.2L growl. It's THE hot hatch. Customize the exhaust, add Stage 2 or 3 tuning and you have something that would make any car listed in this thread blush with embarrassment.

$_86.JPG

Volkswagen-Golf-R32-tuning-05.jpg

For somewhat less, a Mk5 or 6 GTI gets you a better price/performance ratio and highly customizable too. But if you are in the mid-20K's, get the R32.

Last edited:
@Crestwood23

Many of these suggestions I do not agree with, but to each their own. My recommendations...

VW R32 Mk5. Unbeatable fun. And this car will smoke most of what has been suggested off of the line due to its lower mass:HP ratio. 4WD means power is split 4 ways, so less tire smoking AND makes it extremely nimble on curves. And boy, does that 3.2L growl. It's THE hot hatch. Customize the exhaust, add Stage 2 or 3 tuning and you have something that would make any car listed in this thread blush with embarrassment.

$_86.JPG

Volkswagen-Golf-R32-tuning-05.jpg

For somewhat less, a Mk5 or 6 GTI gets you a better price/performance ratio and highly customizable too. But if you are in the mid-20K's, get the R32.
Great recommendation if you don't mind butt ugly and slower than dog shite lol. 6.2 seconds unless my math is fuzzy isn't in the same ballpark as 3.9, even if the 6.2 is to 62mph.

My last mustang a 2009 with only 50hp more and as you pointed out, considerably heavier and only two wheel drive would easily show the VW its tail lights until hitting the governor at 152mph. Hate to rain on your parade, but with comments extolling it's virtues like "smokes most of the suggestions already mentioned" the truth is very different. And so you understand, "all wheel drive" is not 4 wheel drive, that's for off roading only as true 4 wheel needs some loss of traction not to break parts when turning corners.

In late September 2007, the Mk5 R32 went on sale in Europe. It features an updated 3.2-litre VR6 engine of that fitted to the previous Mk4 version, with an extra 10 PS(7 kW; 10 bhp) due to a reworked inlet manifold. Maximum power is now 250 PS (184 kW; 247 bhp) at 6,300 rpm; torque is unchanged at 320 N⋅m (236 lbf⋅ft). It reaches an electronically governed top speed of 250 km/h (155.3 mph). Going from 0 to 100 km/h (62 mph) will take 6.5 s, reduced to 6.2 s with the Direct-Shift Gearbox

with the conditions explained ( hard-top only, back seat, 4-doors?)
you missing out on the ones that will return money (porsches and corvettes)
particularly because you're looking at garage queens, NO rust, geezers
putting on 1K per year, all maintenance done and zillions in California.
both are FUN.

However, fun, and under 30K. to me it's maybe a 5-series BMW, 90% of an M5,
and there are thousands of them in silicon valley with super low miles.
(continuous grid-lock but not a s bad as THE 405). and a small chance of
making money on the resale.

in fact I know one person of each make with several current and previous
ownership and I would buy at asking.

with the conditions explained ( hard-top only, back seat, 4-doors?)
you missing out on the ones that will return money (porsches and corvettes)
particularly because you're looking at garage queens, NO rust, geezers
putting on 1K per year, all maintenance done and zillions in California.
both are FUN.

However, fun, and under 30K. to me it's maybe a 5-series BMW, 90% of an M5,
and there are thousands of them in silicon valley with super low miles.
(continuous grid-lock but not a s bad as THE 405). and a small chance of
making money on the resale.

in fact I know one person of each make with several current and previous
ownership and I would buy at asking.

Don’t need 4 doors, actually would prefer 2, but I do need four seats. Even the tiny seats in the back of the 911 count as it would just be for my kids (on occasion). I’m on the east coast with harsh winters so those babied geezer mobiles are scarcer here than in CA. I’m not looking to make money or have a collectible investment piece, I want something I can feel good about really driving and not be too uber precious with. BUT I want it to be FAST with great handling. It will be kept in a heated garage and I plan on strict maintenance/care.

Back
Top Bottom