Recommend a “fun” car for under 30k?

Easy.

Lotus Elise.

Looks amazing, good power, excellent reliability (Toyota engine), holds value almost unreasonably well, can be hot-rodded later if the mood strikes (supercharger).

Edit: just saw the "auto for my wife" bit. No such thing as an auto Elise. Teach her to drive stick! It's not that hard!

Great recommendation if you don't mind butt ugly and slower than dog shite lol. 6.2 seconds unless my math is fuzzy isn't in the same ballpark as 3.9, even if the 6.2 is to 62mph.

My last mustang a 2009 with only 50hp more and as you pointed out, considerably heavier and only two wheel drive would easily show the VW its tail lights until hitting the governor at 152mph. Hate to rain on your parade, but with comments extolling it's virtues like "smokes most of the suggestions already mentioned" the truth is very different. And so you understand, "all wheel drive" is not 4 wheel drive, that's for off roading only as true 4 wheel needs some loss of traction not to break parts when turning corners.

In late September 2007, the Mk5 R32 went on sale in Europe. It features an updated 3.2-litre VR6 engine of that fitted to the previous Mk4 version, with an extra 10 PS(7 kW; 10 bhp) due to a reworked inlet manifold. Maximum power is now 250 PS (184 kW; 247 bhp) at 6,300 rpm; torque is unchanged at 320 N⋅m (236 lbf⋅ft). It reaches an electronically governed top speed of 250 km/h (155.3 mph). Going from 0 to 100 km/h (62 mph) will take 6.5 s, reduced to 6.2 s with the Direct-Shift Gearbox

That was not my experience when I had one. You seem to be a numbers guy. Don't do that.

Zero to 60 is about as relevant to the actual driving experience of driving performance cars as is fuel economy. Not only is 0 to 60 a misleading measurement of performance, it does very little to describe the subjective experience of driving. And just because a car is quick to 60 doesn’t mean it’s a good car to drive.

Zero to 60 miles per hour times are thrown out as if they're the end-all be-all of automotive performance. That metric is barely relevant to real-world performance and, even worse, the importance of 0-60 in marketing often bends the truth Tesla can claim it produces the quickest production car on Earth and Chevy can rant that the new ZL1 is geared to reach 60mph in first gear. So what? In reality the number you see spread on a magazine cover or an automaker's website doesn't tell you anything about real-world performance, and probably isn't even the number you'd experience if you did a 0-60 mph test yourself.

Make no mistake about those sterile numbers- they are not the story.

On paper, there would seem to be no competition between a GT-R and an Aston V8 Vantage GT: the Nissan shows specs at 0-to-60 time of just 3.0 seconds. An unreal time as compared to the Aston’s 4.6-second run.

Here is the thing, though; when it comes to driving the two, the Aston feels faster by many who have tested them.

It feels this way because the Vantage has been engineered as much for fun as outright speed. The engine noise, the vibration, and even the feel of the steering make the Aston’s acceleration more exciting. This is because in the Aston, the driver is involved in the process. And that's really the point of this thread.

You can either drive an antiseptic car (like the Nissan) where it's all done for you, or you can have a car that involves you. Like the one that I presented.

And no, I was never buried by the American cars listed, and what you claim to have had.

You are correct on one thing, however. I mis- represented 4WD as all whel drive, bit my point aboit it remaim steadfastly valid.

----------------------------------

Sorry for the threadjack. I will go toe-to-toe with you on these finer points of false spec'ing in another thread if you want to. No more here for me tho.

That was not my experience when I had one. You seem to be a numbers guy. Don't do that.

Zero to 60 is about as relevant to the actual driving experience of driving performance cars as is fuel economy. Not only is 0 to 60 a misleading measurement of performance, it does very little to describe the subjective experience of driving. And just because a car is quick to 60 doesn’t mean it’s a good car to drive.

Zero to 60 miles per hour times are thrown out as if they're the end-all be-all of automotive performance. That metric is barely relevant to real-world performance and, even worse, the importance of 0-60 in marketing often bends the truth Tesla can claim it produces the quickest production car on Earth and Chevy can rant that the new ZL1 is geared to reach 60mph in first gear. So what? In reality the number you see spread on a magazine cover or an automaker's website doesn't tell you anything about real-world performance, and probably isn't even the number you'd experience if you did a 0-60 mph test yourself.

Make no mistake about those sterile numbers- they are not the story.

On paper, there would seem to be no competition between a GT-R and an Aston V8 Vantage GT: the Nissan shows specs at 0-to-60 time of just 3.0 seconds. An unreal time as compared to the Aston’s 4.6-second run.

Here is the thing, though; when it comes to driving the two, the Aston feels faster by many who have tested them.

It feels this way because the Vantage has been engineered as much for fun as outright speed. The engine noise, the vibration, and even the feel of the steering make the Aston’s acceleration more exciting. This is because in the Aston, the driver is involved in the process. And that's really the point of this thread.

You can either drive an antiseptic car (like the Nissan) where it's all done for you, or you can have a car that involves you. Like the one that I presented.

And no, I was never buried by the American cars listed, and what you claim to have had.

You are correct on one thing, however. I mis- represented 4WD as all whel drive, bit my point aboit it remaim steadfastly valid.

----------------------------------

Sorry for the threadjack. I will go toe-to-toe with you on these finer points of false spec'ing in another thread if you want to. No more here for me tho.

I'm not an American car kind of guy, just ask the Corvette guys here lol. Actually, I'm a British sports car guy, the E-type being my favorite, owned and drove my dream car for many yrs.

But your recommending an econobox albeit hot rodded as it is to someone thinking about a Porsche 911 ROFLMAO. And don't kid yourself, the new Mustangs are FAST, and not too shabby in the twisties either. Even the Ecoboost 4 banger with the performance package would embarrass the VW, leave no doubt about it, it just is what it is.

And I believe the OP also mentioned something about not being embarrassed to drive what he buys lol.

Not yet, but I plan to!
You won't be able to leave the lot without it, and a huge smile from ear to ef'n ear that it's yours, I'm not kidding, this is actually a warning if not really ready to buy lol.

Looking at the back of this car is so reminiscent of so many great European GT's, yes even from Porsche.

33a837792c66e21321de8b6224399249.jpg
maxresdefault (10).jpg

Last edited:
You won't be able to leave the lot without it, and a huge smile from ear to ef'n ear that it's yours, I'm not kidding, this is actually a warning if not really ready to buy lol.

Looking at the back of this car is so reminiscent of so many great European GT's, yes even from Porsche.

View attachment 1321945
View attachment 1321946
I added the Ford Performance X Pipe to mine - wow the noises the thing makes. Mine is the one in the top picture - Magnetic Metallic - I fell in love with the GT350 and had to have a mustang.

I added the Ford Performance X Pipe to mine - wow the noises the thing makes.
The Coyote motor really is special.

Camaro SS 6.2 liter 455hp

Mustang GT 5.0 liter 460hp

Sure the 6.2 has a bit more torque, but it sure as hell better have it's a LOT bigger.

The Coyote motor really is special.

Camaro SS 6.2 liter 455hp

Mustang GT 5.0 liter 460hp

Sure the 6.2 has a bit more torque, but it sure as hell better have it's a LOT bigger.

Yep - a close to 8K redline 12:1 compression ratio - 4 cams - just a beauty - but I do also admire the simpleness of the pushrod Vette motor.

Yep - a close to 8K redline 12:1 compression ratio - 4 cams - just a beauty - but I do also admire the simpleness of the pushrod Vette motor.

Ya in a caveman sort of way.

Give me a dual overhead cam hemi-head straight six any day.

Jaguar E-type 3.8 liter, the XK engine started life as a 3.4 liter in earlier models.
178ee4b027c0ae494a6904f9fd84cee9.jpg

Imagine that engine in a car like this back in the day. It's no wonder Jaguar built the world's fastest production cars for decades.
jaguar-xk140-roadster-02-131a687f (1).jpg

Well, if seeing 33% of your car is a picture then ya lol.

I like this shot - captures the lines. Thanks!
full

You have quite a few opinions. Here's mine -

Wife, in summer of '09, mentions her friend is selling a car. What is it? I ask. 1995 Miata.

Pfft. Girls car, I thought.

Eating a large plate of crow to this day.

9 years later, that thing STILL puts a smile on my face, and it is mostly bone stock. Yeah, the quarter panels are rusted. Yeah, there's no cupholder worth a shit. Yeah, it's breezy, noisy, and primitive. And yes, you can drive it 99% of the time at 90%, and it FEELS fast as hell. It isn't, it just feels that way.

Truly a car for those who enjoy driving (and the gearbox is the sweetest thing ever).

Ya in a caveman sort of way.

Give me a dual overhead cam hemi-head straight six any day.

Jaguar E-type 3.8 liter, the XK engine started life as a 3.4 liter in earlier models.
View attachment 1321963

Imagine that engine in a car like this back in the day. It's no wonder Jaguar built the world's fastest production cars for decades.
View attachment 1321964

Funny you mention the old Jag E type - THAT is actually my wife’s cost no object dream car - in British racing green! Now that is a collector investment grade car I’d like to own - maybe someday if I’m not broke by the time the kids go to college LOL.

You have quite a few opinions. Here's mine -

Wife, in summer of '09, mentions her friend is selling a car. What is it? I ask. 1995 Miata.

Pfft. Girls car, I thought.

Eating a large plate of crow to this day.

9 years later, that thing STILL puts a smile on my face, and it is mostly bone stock. Yeah, the quarter panels are rusted. Yeah, there's no cupholder worth a shit. Yeah, it's breezy, noisy, and primitive. And yes, you can drive it 99% of the time at 90%, and it FEELS fast as hell. It isn't, it just feels that way.

Truly a car for those who enjoy driving (and the gearbox is the sweetest thing ever).

I recently watched a Doug DeMuro video about the newest Miata and he said the same thing (as he was smiling ear to ear) - it’s not actually super fast but it FEELS fast as hell! He also made a comment that he thinks the Miata is arguably one of the best cars ever made. High praise from a dude who drives cars for a living. If only it had two little rear kid seats like the 911 I’d be all over it.

Last edited:
Funny you mention the old Jag E type - THAT is actually my wife’s cost no object dream car - in British racing green! Now that is a collector investment grade car I’d like to own - maybe someday if I’m not broke by the time the kids go to college LOL.

I recently watched a Doug DeMuro video about the newest Miata and he said the same thing (as he was smiling ear to ear) - it’s not actually super fast but it FEELS fast as hell! He also made comment that he thinks the Miata is arguably one of the best cars ever made. High praise from a dude who drives cars for a living. If only it had two little rear kid seats like the 911 I’d be all over it.

Jeremy Clarkson loved the Scion FRS, and it has a back seat. And your wife is a very smart women, most fun car I've ever owned, second would be the 70 Opel GT, not a lot of power but at 1700lbs it didn't need it lol, would chirp the rear tires in third gear.
OPELGT-2979_4.jpg
18.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom