Recommend an SACD player ...

damacman

Resident Psycho
I currently own an Oppo BDP-103. While this is an excellent (reference) Bluray player it does leave a lot to desire for CD and SACD playback. It does perform well with the limited selection of multi-channel DVD-A and SACDs that I own.

I am looking hard at the BDP-105D. I mean who wouldn't? I like the idea that it has numerous outputs. This would allow me to feed the 7.1 outputs in my HT pre/pro and the XLR outputs into my C100. I would prefer a fully balanced design and the Oppo cites differential outputs.

OTOH, I could leave the BDP-103 as is and continue to use it for movies. Then I could buy a dedicated disc player. If I did that I was considering the McIntosh MCD machines.

Other suggestions? Maybe even a reference player of days passed that still performs well? A fully balanced design would be a major plus.

hmmm - looks like those machines could have an inherent design flaw. Any other suggestions?

For stereo only I like my Yamaha CD-S2000. I'm sure the newer CD-S2100 is also great not to mention the CD-S3000. Unlike my CD-S2000 the newer Yamaha's have digital input capability do you can use them as a DAC.

Last edited:
I bought a CD-S300RK for my office system and I've been really happy. I bet the new Yammies sound nice! I like the fully balanced architecture of the S2000, S2100, and S3000. I could care less about the DAC though.

So, how about some vintage classics with fully balanced architecture? Recommendations?

Why? It's not a fully balanced design. That alone should give the edge to the Yammies.

My 103 sounds just OK, maybe a little sterile.

In 105 analog part is completely different (in stereo) from 103. There were several tests done and this unit got on the top with lowest level of noise and distortions. There is hard to make something better using today's technology. Balanced circuit is only important at input and output to reach lowest level of hum. And Oppo is very good in that.
There are several high-end gear brands who repackages 105 into different enclosure and sells for price several times higher. Do not forget it's ability to work as USB DAC for your computer where you can play high-res PCM ad DSD encoded files.

I have a 105D and like it a lot. However, it looks like you already have a ton of Mac gear. Why not stay with that?

In 105 analog part is completely different (in stereo) from 103. There were several tests done and this unit got on the top with lowest level of noise and distortions. There is hard to make something better using today's technology. Balanced circuit is only important at input and output to reach lowest level of hum. And Oppo is very good in that.
There are several high-end gear brands who repackages 105 into different enclosure and sells for price several times higher. Do not forget it's ability to work as USB DAC for your computer where you can play high-res PCM ad DSD encoded files.

Re: fully balanced design. It absolutely does make a difference. My CDP is of that architecture and there is an appreciable difference between it's RCA and XLR outputs in favor of XLR. Also, my C100 preamp is a fully balanced design as well. So, why not take advantage of that with an SACD player? The CMR benefits of balanced designs are rarely realized in domestic environments.

I have a 105D and like it a lot. However, it looks like you already have a ton of Mac gear. Why not stay with that?

I've sure thought about it. If only my BDP-103 could output DSD in some way other than the HDMI port, I could simply add a McIntosh D150 and enjoy the best of both worlds. And honestly, it's just impossible to ignore just how great these Oppo units are. The picture quality from my BDP-103 is just stunning. BITD, you'd of had to spend $150,000 or even more to get the same level of peformance from a scaler, stacked CRT 1080i projectors, etc. I wonder just how many people appreciate just how good we have it today in this regards.

Why? It's not a fully balanced design. That alone should give the edge to the Yammies.

Taken from the Oppo website: "...The balanced output features a true differential signal path all the way from the DAC to the 3-pin XLR connector. By transmitting a pair of differential signals, the balanced output provides better common-mode noise rejection and improves signal quality."

Sounds like the 105D is a true balanced design.

Differential and balanced are not the same. Differential is typically a circuit that looks for common mode noise present on both the positive and ground in the signal path and then subtracts it while fully balanced means that the unit has mirror imaged signal stages, each referenced to ground. This is why fully balanced components are more expensive.

A call to Oppo tech support would likely provide the answer on what they mean by differential. I'd like to know.

I suggested that they clarify that on their web site. That being said, I think they're selling those things at such a pace that they could take off a month and still blow their sales goals away.

When a brand is hot, it's hot. You really gotta' hand it to Oppo. I hear there other products are equally impressive although I've not had first hand experience with anything other than the BDP-103.

FWIW, my CDP is not a McIntosh. Pioneer PD-T07. Very unique piece. Even though it's 20 years old now, it's still yet to be beat by any modern DAC that I've tried. It has a silky smooth quality to it that has very much spoiled me. Should I take the plunge with the Oppo, I'll have the option to feed the Digital Out of the Pioneer into the Oppo and A/B the two in real time. My C100 has one pair of balanced inputs waiting, just waiting, to be used.

given the price of the 105D it is really, really hard to beat. I bought my Yamaha CD-S2000 used at a really good price (well below a 105D) but a new price the 105D is probably better (and has much more capability, DAC, surround Blue Ray etc.)

I also have the Oppo 105D, nice piece , they have there detractors but I've never understood the hate. I use it mostly these days as my dsd dac and Tidal streaming since the firmware update that brought that onboard.

Back
Top Bottom