Recommend speakers to match with a CR-820

Strictly an opinion, probably the A-25's are the most subdued, therefore less fatiguing, than the others. But they don't have the detail of the Polk 7's or the early EPI 100. Those two are gems. If I had one choice only and it was available it would be the 7's with the Peerless tweeter. Every time I hear my pair they just amaze me. Even with a wimpy receiver. The Yamaha-Polk synergy is real.
Probably my favorite bargain speaker are the A series Boston Acoustics and I have had them all. Currently the 70's, 3 pairs of 150's, the 200's and 400's. I had stacked 150's with a CR2020. They sold tons of the 150's because they were impossible to beat for the money. By now they all need surrounds if they haven't been done, I had to refoam all mine but they were all nearly give-aways. They are rather easy to do, though.
Just my thoughts. I listen to a very wide variety of genres and love the one I mentioned.
Thanks, you've been a big help. Time to start scouring Craigslist. :eek:;)

The Cizek Model 2s are some of the best if not outright the best vintage speakers I've heard, particularly of those that'll be happy with a lower wattage amp. Very detailed, not at all fatiguing. The guy was an outright genius.

Finding a pair in good shape may put you out of budget, though -- last I saw on the 'bay were around $750.

They're also fairly rare and may be difficult to find period.

If you see Boston Acoustics A400s I strongly recommend them as well. Less detail, a little more laid back than the Cizek, but easy to listen to and plenty of punch without being at all boomy. I miss mine.
Sweet. I will watch for the Cizeks too.

I'm going to chime in based on my limited experience.
I have a Yamaha CR-620 that was purchased with a set of Infinity RSa speakers.
Wow! What a set-up...........Rock, Jazz, Blooze, Classical, it doesn't matter the source, IMO, the sound is amazing!

infinityRSa.jpg

I was so impressed with the sound from the 2-ways that I had to feed my new addiction with a set of RSb 3-ways!

9_3c.jpg

My Yamaha CR-620 will cleanly drive either set of Infinitys to volume levels that would have you think the musicians are in the living room with you!
I have to believe that your Yamaha CR-820 will give you similar, breathtaking results as well.

Rex

I will chime in with @SuperLead100...I own a CA-600 which is just a CR-600 minus the tuner and less wattage than the 820 model. The CA-600 is only a 30 watt amp and I have found the Ns-670's to be wonderful on the mids and highs, the bass was a bit weak, but I added an REL 10" sub and that gives me all I want at about "5" or "6" on the dial my voice can be heard faintly. My usual is about 3.5 to 4.5. I also like the attenuators for mids and highs.

Back
Top Bottom