Recommendation for TT upgrade needed

jongjong

I'm starting to think that it is a good time to upgrade from my Pioneer PL100. But then, I went and looked around to see what was available at this time to finally thought that I might not know what would be the best "evolution" possible. Locally, I can find some Pioneer PL300, Pioneer PL 112D, Toshiba SR-FX70, Technics SL-1900, ADC 1600DD, Sansui SR-212, and a few more... What do you audio fans think?

The amplifier currently in use is a Marantz SR225 but I'm thinking to finally fix my Marantz 2240.

Pretty much anything would be an upgrade from a PL100. The SL-1900, if the automatic functions work, would be 1st on my upgrade path, the SR-212 next. I'd stay away from plastic Pio's.

I just took a look at your Pioneer table - and reminds me of my old Technics SL220 - they look almost identical.

My old technics:
- noisy
- speed was all over the place
- noisy
- slight hum I couldn't get rid of.

I upgraded to a new deck - DD technics at the time 2009 - and was blown away - dead silent - spot on accuracy. Best upgrade that I've done to date. Everything else has been small improvements (we'll my speakers were a big upgrade - but that is it.)

I'd vote for Direct Drive - or new belt - but that would be expensive. I'd try to find a nice clean Technics Direct Drive - if you are going the used route - and for me that would be a 1200. DD, manual operation - great arm - can't really go wrong.

Best of luck.

In my opinion, none of the tables you listed is a significant upgrade from your PL100. Have you considered a cartridge or stylus upgrade instead? Once you have a decent table, the cartridge and stylus play a greater role in sound quality than does the table itself.

I'd upgrade only if you need to. For me my old sl220 was just not cutting it - the cheap plinth picked up all possible sounds - you could hear the auto return kick in through the speakers and the hum - no matter what I did - I couldn't get it to a level I'd accept.

When you turn on your table - you shouldn't hear anything - in fact it should be zero sound until that stylus hits the groove (even using headphones.) Speed needs to be perfect.

If you have none of these issues - then I agree with others and try a new cart etc. Also if you have none of the issues I've reported then your upgrade will likely be a dissapointment.

So Direct Drive and SL 1900 would be the best pick?

In my opinion, none of the tables you listed is a significant upgrade from your PL100. Have you considered a cartridge or stylus upgrade instead? Once you have a decent table, the cartridge and stylus play a greater role in sound quality than does the table itself.

I have a Grado Black stylus, so I think I'm OK, but I do think the stylus could be wasted on the PL100.

My vote is spend the money fixing your Marantz 2240.

The Marantz works, just the lights that doesn't and might need a good clean up. Got this used in a garage sale for 40$ from someone who smoked inside... I do have the wooden case, but it smells funny.

I'd upgrade only if you need to. For me my old sl220 was just not cutting it - the cheap plinth picked up all possible sounds - you could hear the auto return kick in through the speakers and the hum - no matter what I did - I couldn't get it to a level I'd accept.

When you turn on your table - you shouldn't hear anything - in fact it should be zero sound until that stylus hits the groove (even using headphones.) Speed needs to be perfect.

If you have none of these issues - then I agree with others and try a new cart etc. Also if you have none of the issues I've reported then your upgrade will likely be a dissapointment.

I don't think that I definitely need to update, I think it's just about time. Been using it for nearly 10 years..

I'm starting to think that it is a good time to upgrade from my Pioneer PL100. But then, I went and looked around to see what was available at this time to finally thought that I might not know what would be the best "evolution" possible. Locally, I can find some Pioneer PL300, Pioneer PL 112D, Toshiba SR-FX70, Technics SL-1900, ADC 1600DD, Sansui SR-212, and a few more... What do you audio fans think?

The amplifier currently in use is a Marantz SR225 but I'm thinking to finally fix my Marantz 2240.

Pioneer PL-300 is a good direct drive with quartz lock and auto return. :)
https://www.vinylengine.com/library/pioneer/pl-300.shtml

If you could get it for a reasonable price, it will be better than most of the others on your list.

I had an SL-1900 a while back and I was really happy with it.
Just be sure that all of the automatic functions are working.
TT1.png TT2.png

Of all the tables you listed the Pioneer PL-300 or the Technics SL-1900 have the better specs by a good bit. I would go with one of those two then when you are ready upgrade to an 8MZ stylus for the cartridge.

There is also a Pioneer PL-7 listed on your local Kijiji at a favorable price. I have not used this model, but it seems to be highly regarded. Just be aware that the headshell design is proprietary and it tends to favor higher compliance cartridges.

Back
Top Bottom