Recommendation on a surge protector?

Well, Panamax' biggest customer is AT&T/Lucent - Does that tell you anything?

Considering their use/installations are likely quite different from the largely point of use situation for the consumer market, not necessarily.

The meter base or panel board type are generally much more effective since there is a lower impedance return path to earth there, than at the end of dozens of feet of 14 or 12ga wire in the circuit the point of use devices must use for return path.

Last edited:
Follow up ...

Was steaming on the PC late last night before :boring: time. Thought I would check out the status of my surge protector order on Amazon. DELIVERED! ... Oh my :yikes:. Opened my front door and there they were waiting for me.

ULTRABLOK428-FRONT-L.jpg

I'm using this one for my PC (& USB powered DAC) and the other plug for my Time Warner Cable Modem. It does not turn off and that's what I want ... only put my PC in sleep mode most nights and the modem has to stay on 24/7 because that's how I get my phone. This one plugs directly into wall socket.

ISOBAR4ULTRA.jpg

I'm using this one for my Audioengine 2 powered near field speakers, Yamaha Powered Subwoofer and PC Monitor. One spare left over for occasional transitory items usage.

The build quality of these units are really nice ... they don't feel cheap. Very good 1st impression of these units. :thmbsp:

Considering their use/installations are likely quite different from the largely point of use situation for the consumer market, not necessarily.

My comment was actually intended to contrast brands that have an industrial presence such as Panamax, TrippLite and Furman to the consumer-only brands such as Monster and Belkin. I want to believe that a company in the higher end has some trickle-down to their less expensive models compared to the overpriced, under-engineered "big brands".

Happy trails,
Larry B.

Next time, consider Oneac from ebay - bigger the better. They also condition it to improve the sound.

Even with a "whole house" protector, manufacturers recommend outlet surge protectors as well. Once the whole house protector blows, they have to be replaced. The local power companies here are no longer replacing the main protectors that they installed due to cost.

Ordered this just now.
So many say, "I have this. Therefore it must be best." Why does hearsay without even one spec number or hard fact become an honest recommendation?

Surges that do damage can be hundreds of thousands of joules. How many joules does that Panamax claim to absorb? About 550 and not more than 1100. What happens when a destructive surge happens? Either it must block that current or absorb that energy. Clearly 1100 joules cannot absorb a transient that is hundreds of thousands of joules. Clearly its 2 cm protector part cannot stop what three miles of sky cannot. So what does it do? Numbers say ineffective.

First, it claims to protect from another type of transient that typically does not do damage. A transient made irrelevant by superior protection typically found in all appliances. Second, it must disconnect it protectors parts as fast as possible during a significant transient. Otherwise those protector parts can cause a house fire. Leaving a surge still connected to an adjacent appliance.

Since appliances already contain superior protection, then a surge too tiny to damage appliances can cause an undersized protector to fail. That failure get the naive to recommend it.

Why do so many recommend without numbers? Notice how a recommendation is 180 degrees reversed as soon as technical numbers are included.

Confusion abounds. That undersized (ineffective) protector and a superior solution share a same name - surge protector. Facilities that cannot have damage use something completely different. You could have same for about $1 per protected appliance. How much was that Panamax? $80 per appliance? It does not even claim to protect from the other and typically destructive surge. The effective solution means even direct ligthning strikes without damage even to a protector.

Facilities that cannot have damage do not waste money on Panamax. Since a Panamax must be protected by a properly earthed 'whole house' protector. Numbers make that obvious. An IEEE Standard defines properly earthed protection as 99.5% to 99.9%. Yes, that Panamax can do more if used in conjuction with a properly earthed 'whole house' solution. It may add another 0.2% protection. Yes the Panamax can increase protection. Then include numbers.

Effective protection means one says where hundreds of thousands of joules harmlessly dissipate. Any recommendation that ignores numbers is best considered bogus, hearsay, or junk science. Bogus recommendations are often due advertising claims - without numbers. Reality is completely different when specifications are included. But more important is why the 'whole house' protector does protection and the Panamax does not even claim it. Single point earth ground is only found with the 'whole house' solution.

Panamax will not discuss earthing for good reason. A $3 power strip with ten cent protector parts selling for $80 ... why would they risk that obscene profit margin? Fewer who actually know these numbers post a completely different recommendation. Where do hundreds of thousands of joules harmlessly dissipate? No answer says why many had a protector adjacent to electronics and still had damage.

The rule is simple. A protector is only as effective as its earth ground - that a Panamax does not have. Earthing is why facilities that cannot have damage always use the other and well proven 'whole house' solution.

Back
Top Bottom