Record Bin From single 4 x 8 Sheet of Plywood - Plans

Just finished building my record bin! Question: I have no idea what kind of plywood I used (maybe it's birch, but I doubt it), but was wondering what grade sandpaper to use to dull the sharp edges and get ready for priming and painting? Any thoughts?
I used 3?4" I believe, and I was thinking of putting "qharter round or whatever it is on the edges. What should I ask for at the store? I don't want anything too round but enough to make it look "finished". Thoughts?

Is the grain on your plywood attractive? if so, you may want to consider using Watco Danish Oil or something similar to bring out the depth, and then coating with a wipe on polyurethane finish to protect the surface. Spray on or brush on are also options, though spray on in cans can get expensive as it doesn't go that far (a cabinet has a lot of surface area), and brush on takes time and patience to apply without getting dripping. If you go with oil/poly, you can sand with a 100 grit paper, then with 150 prior to oiling. Not necessary to sand between oil and poly, but wipe down with a tack cloth before applying the poly. I would not start with an 80 grit paper on plywood veneer as the outer veneer is typically very thin and 80 grit is quite aggressive- you're likely to sand through to the under layers if you aren't careful. When sanding plywood, it isn't necessary to apply much pressure as you aren't trying to shape it, just smooth out the surface. Allow the oil to dry per instructions on the can before applying the poly. Painting is more forgiving regarding surface prep, I wouldn't sand beyond 100 grit.

Regarding trim, if you have a decent table saw and router, you can make your own putting a bevel or rounded edge on the trim pieces. If not, you can easily use a iron-on edge banding to give yourself a finished look. To avoid an Ikea look, you can use an edge banding (or trim, for that matter), with a contrasting color/grain. This stuff is super easy to apply, a kid could do it, and can be trimmed to the width of your plywood using a simple razor/utility blade after application (3/4" plywood is typically slightly under the stated size). Edge banding can be found at any woodworkers supply shop (Rockler, Woodcraft or better yet, your local mom and pop shop).

thanks for info. guys!
rudderless, I am going to paint it white, so I need to sand first apply primer, sand again lightly, and then paint. I might consider youe suggestion for my next one, as I have 4 more to build, and it would be nice to have a wood look with a a deep colored look to the grain. Thanks! Your advice on trim very helpful. I just Googled the iron-on you suggested! I don't really have any power tools, or the confidence that I won't chop my fingers off. lol

I'm in Tacoma Washington. In the unlikely event you are local, I'd be happy to help you make some really nice trim in my shop. Also, you shouldn't need to sand between your primer and finish coats unless you have drips or brush marks. Primer is formulated for paint to stick to it. Not to dissuade you from sanding, just think it may not be necessary and working for the sake of working takes me away from things I'd rather be doing. Finishing is my least favorite task of woodworking...

You don't have the matching audio rack yet?? Get on it!
IMG_4888.jpg

I am going to build one in early spring when the weather breaks. and then I will sell my vintage record cabinet.

i kept putting it off as I figured I would screw it up but it turned out to be easier than I thought. I had it cut at Lowes and then just had to do a little trimming at home. I started by drilling and screwing it together. This i took it apart and stained it. Then I put it back together with just a few screws and then replaced all of the screws with Miller Dowels and glue. And just to be safe I added a few small L brackets to the inside just to add a little more strength. I also didn't make it as deep. I cut the depth down 4 inches so it will only hold about 350 to 400 albums. I'd rather have it fit in the spot better. I'll be building another one soon to go on the other side of the clock. Now I need to build something for CD's, anyone have any plans for one of those :)

A user a few pages (and years...) ago posted pictures of his/hers. Apparently, it had a top (to put the record player on) and a "now playing" shelf to rest the album sleeve. Those pictures are gone. Anyone have an idea how that would be assembled? Cause that is exactly what I'm looking for.

Just to preface, I have absolutely zero woodworking experience, creativity, and imagination.

Just thought I would add my record stand to this post. Not bad for my first wack at this. As soon as I finish washing the rest of my lp's I think I will need to build another one. Red Mahogany. Oh, and my big box store made 6 cuts for me free of charge. To my surprise the wood didn't splinter bad but guess what, each cut was off on the measurements so I had to recut each piece myself with my skill saw. I'm looking at a rough capacity of 400 plus. Not bad. The biggest plus is I think the Misses likes it :beerchug: Great Thread. Thanks to all of you that gave their ideas.

DSCN1199.JPG

Finally finished mine today. Wish it was a shade or two darker, but it will serve its purpose of holding all of my country, Motown, and oddball stuff. Not perfect, but it could be worse.
57AB8248-B760-433D-9D90-8C23E272ED62_zpsf3xiitxi.jpg

I just added a LED puck light in the bottom compartment. Makes a huge difference!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom