Record Bin From single 4 x 8 Sheet of Plywood - Plans

Quick question would one be able to put casters on these? Wife likes them a lot just wondering in case she needs to move them from time to time. I want to put two to three in the living room and one in basement work area.

Easily. You can get castors at most hardware stores but I'd look online at maybe MSC Direct or McMasterCarr (can we post links here?)

As soon as we have nice weather here, I plan on building one myself. Casters will be on it. The bottom shelf is 3/4 thick. Drilling through it and bolting the casters on with the head of the bolt inside the box would be the simplest, especially if you had a low head or a flat head bolt and counter sunk the hole a bit. I haven't had a chance to look into it but I plan on using the triangle pieces to make mounts for casters to thicken up the bottom to 1.5 inches at the caster points.

Because of the weight and geometry, I'd put the swivel caters on the right side and the stationary casters on the left. I think there maybe a tip hazard if you put the stationary casters on the back and the swivel on the front.

Off to McMaster to have a look....

Great looking record bin, and always nice to see a fellow Tribe fan out there! I have that same EP...bought mine used in Boston. A studio cast-off from WERS

I've been planning on DIY'ing some record storage and combining it with a DIY rack for the equiptment along the one wall in my living room. I am thinking of about 6 individual cubes with castors on the bottom that would slide underneath the rack and be able to be rolled out to my chair or anywhere else in the room for easy perusal. I too have a hard time reading album cover titles from the spines especially with outer sleeves on them. I also want to be able to insert tabs so I can alphabetized and sort by category. Still in the planning stage right now but have picked up some good ideas from your double decker storage plans. I was also thinking of cutting some grooves in the bottom so the records would "sit" right and not slide around too much and also to use some rope pulls on the front. I like the idea of the light but and wondering how to achieve it. I will be keeping a watch here for any more good ideas.

:lurk:

Great looking record bin, and always nice to see a fellow Tribe fan out there! I have that same EP...bought mine used in Boston. A studio cast-off from WERS

Awesome. I grew up (Well through my 20's) seeing that band live. Looked for that EP for Years....

All, This is also on the front page but here is the cut list/assembly drawing w/ casters and updated cuts:

V2 Has Casters (easily added to V1) rated at 90 lbs per corner for a total of 360 lb capacity. 600 180g records weigh 240 lbs.
Caster: http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/116/1329/=agjps5
V2 also has a simpler cut list which results in deeper bins. I personally prefer the look of the shallower bin so I've posted both cut sheets.

This is a neat storage unit! I have all my albums stacked in a ikea epidit, but hate the fact that I can't see the album artwork as I'm flipping through them! I'd like to tackle this project in the Spring. It would be neat to pick up some black laminant and laminate the panels before assembly. I can imagine the only thing needed would be the adhesive spray and a router to trim down the material? This is also neat..www.t-molding.com, t-molding for the a slotted channel along the edges :banana:

Works out perfectly! All that's left is filling holes, stain and finish. I did supports on the bottom but forgot to add the 3/4" to the 2 face pieces, thus the reason for the additional pieces capping them. May do casters or at least put the plastic moving sliders under it. May put a "Now Playing" Envelope on the side. Here is some pix:

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• Vinyl Bin 001.jpg
    Vinyl Bin 001.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 3,119
  • Vinyl Bin 002.jpg
    Vinyl Bin 002.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 963
  • Vinyl Bin 003.jpg
    Vinyl Bin 003.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 3,034
I found this thread yesterday and decided to give it a go. I followed the given specs for the most part, excluding the height of the sides, fronts, and dividers which were raised an inch each to reduce the number of cuts required and keep waste to a minimum. I think it turned out nice
The unit is fastened together by 2" drywall screws. The plan was to fit it together and drill the screw holes, then disassemble it (for the back seat of my car) and move it from my parents' shop to my apartment, then reassemble it with glue added. The tacks we used to hold it together temporarily turned out to be more trouble to remove than expected, so the decision was made to keep it assembled, forego gluing the pieces together, and add more screws as well as support blocks (scraps used, waste eliminated!) under the shelves. My girlfriend volunteered her SUV, so transport is no longer an issue.

The edges are finished with 3/4" moulding, shaped somewhere between flat and half-round. It sits on 4 hard rubber feet and has a cable pass-through to allow for a lamp to be fixed to the underside of the top shelf. I'll stain it when the weather gets warmer.

If all goes well with this one, I'll have to con my stepdad, who made this one possible, into helping me do two more of these. One for the rest of my lp's and a modified unit for 45s, which i desperately need a solution for. I've got 9 expedit blocks packed tight as it stands, but my neck was not built sideways. Since I like to flip through covers with lots of extra room to browse, this unit will only hold about 60% of my records.

Thanks for the ideas and inspiration everyone,
Max
It turned out great... :thmbsp:

Awesome. I grew up (Well through my 20's) seeing that band live. Looked for that EP for Years....

All, This is also on the front page but here is the cut list/assembly drawing w/ casters and updated cuts:

V2 Has Casters (easily added to V1) rated at 90 lbs per corner for a total of 360 lb capacity. 600 180g records weigh 240 lbs.
Caster: http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/116/1329/=agjps5
V2 also has a simpler cut list which results in deeper bins. I personally prefer the look of the shallower bin so I've posted both cut sheets.

Thanks so much for all the info, I have a friend who I am hoping will make these for me. I am disabled so these will come in handy, back and neck are fried and turning my head to look at the spines is painful to my spine. :D

Works out perfectly! All that's left is filling holes, stain and finish. I did supports on the bottom but forgot to add the 3/4" to the 2 face pieces, thus the reason for the additional pieces capping them. May do casters or at least put the plastic moving sliders under it. May put a "Now Playing" Envelope on the side. Here is some pix:

attachment.php
attachment.php

Wow you guys are all doing great they all look amazing..:yes:

Thanks so much for all the info, I have a friend who I am hoping will make these for me. I am disabled so these will come in handy, back and neck are fried and turning my head to look at the spines is painful to my spine. :D

Shame that I don't live in Crystal Lake anymore, we could have a build party. I moved to MA a couple years ago. Boy do I miss my garage..

Finally got it filled up!

DSCN3315.jpg

Beautiful job Max. The edging really cleans it up nicely.

It's great to see all the bins built from plans we, as a group, created.

Kind of like seeing a seed grow to bare fruit. :) Keep'm coming, you are all raising the bar on the one I'm going to build in the spring.

I picked up the 4x8' sheet yesterday, and tomorrow my girlfriend's uncle (furniture maker) is going to cut down the pieces for me. I plan on staining my piece before final assembly :)

Shame that I don't live in Crystal Lake anymore, we could have a build party. I moved to MA a couple years ago. Boy do I miss my garage..

That would be cool, how do you like the Beantown? I am hoping to get some made up soon. Anyone tell me what they are spending on these? Just curious, plus what is the best plywood to get.

On accident, I picked up a $50.00 4x8 sheet of birch wood from the local big box store. I ment to pick up cheaper material, but they ripped the sheet down before I figured out the price, woops! Regardless, the birch material is beautiful and it's going to look wonderful after I stain and apply birch edge banding

On accident, I picked up a $50.00 4x8 sheet of birch wood from the local big box store. I ment to pick up cheaper material, but they ripped the sheet down before I figured out the price, woops! Regardless, the birch material is beautiful and it's going to look wonderful after I stain and apply birch edge banding

Can't wait to see the finished result. Price still not bad considering how nice the rack will be in the long run. :D

That would be cool, how do you like the Beantown? I am hoping to get some made up soon. Anyone tell me what they are spending on these? Just curious, plus what is the best plywood to get.

I grew up in the Cape Ann area, about 50 miles north of where I live now. I love this area. I would prefer to be in Essex or Salem but I work on the south shore. The daily commute would be 1.5 to 2 hours each way.

Use a cabinet grade plywood if you can. It just makes the whole finishing process much easier. I've seen nice looking parts built out of low grade stuff but they were heavily worked to get a nice finish. And even then you have to be looking for a 'rough' look.

On a budget, you could also use a 1/2 inch plywood but you will have to account for the thinner wood in your design / cuts. It should be plenty strong enough as long as you brace the top shelf/bin.

Nice project!!
I think I might downsize it for a similar set of bins for CDs :scratch2:

I actually like the cheepo stick and board racks that you can get for CD's. The 'spines' are wide enough to read and the plastic case protects it from damage. I think a bin style storage for CD's would just make them harder to sort through.

Back
Top Bottom