Record Bin From single 4 x 8 Sheet of Plywood - Plans

I still think you guys should be putting a vertical support between the top shelf and the divider in the bottom. I keep going back and forth on whether to build this now or wait until I'm out of expedit. I suppose I could put all those piles of books in the closet on the expedit...

Anyone have a thought on what might be a good "liner" material for the bottom where the albums sit?
I'm gonna use cork. I love cork.

I knocked around the idea of a vertical support when I was piecing the first one together. We came to the conclusion that 3/4 is stiff enough to handle the weight without it. It also felt like it would be very cramped flipping through the bottom bins.

I was in Barnes and Noble one day looking through the clearance CD table and noticed that they line the bottom of their long racks with corrugated rubber matting. I gave it a half hearted google, but not too much turned up. Maybe someone else will have better luck with it.

Built one of these a couple weeks ago, Mighty handy setup here in my office/PC audio rig. Good DIY thread and yet another reason why AK is the best. Many thanks to the OP.

IMG_1208.JPG

Last edited:
I knocked around the idea of a vertical support when I was piecing the first one together. We came to the conclusion that 3/4 is stiff enough to handle the weight without it. It also felt like it would be very cramped flipping through the bottom bins.

I was in Barnes and Noble one day looking through the clearance CD table and noticed that they line the bottom of their long racks with corrugated rubber matting. I gave it a half hearted google, but not too much turned up. Maybe someone else will have better luck with it.

Check the kitchen department. It is shelf/drawer liner. You can buy larger sheets too. It is sold as the stuff that goes under rugs to keep them from sliding around.

Yeah, personally I find that stuff less than adequate aesthetically. Great for keeping the doormat in place, but there's a reason its under the rug.

This is my Fourth of July weekend project finished. I'm more into the utility of the record bin than into its looks and opted for the plain pine plywood for $30/sheet at Home Depot. Took me about 4 hrs in the hot, humid garage to finish the cuts and assembly. Brought it downstairs to my "private" listening room (aka corner in the basement) and loaded it with albums and I'm slowly going through my 800+ collection and pruning off the dead wood so that I can have all of them fit into the record bin (already took about 60 albums to Goodwill). My new axiom is "quality over quantity". It is nice to be able to just flip through the albums and once I alphabetize them even easier to find what I want. I will probably end up painting the bin flat black, but that will take some months before I get around to that.

All in all I would say any vinyl addict would do himself a favor and build one of these or have a buddy with some nice tools do it for a couple six packs (and you drink a few while he builds the bin). :scratch2:

CLICK ON IMAGE TO ENLARGE

DSCF1857.JPG

I finally had another one built back in May, but forgot about this thread. So I guess late is better than never.
IMG_7363.jpg

IMG_7362.jpg

And I've still got to build one for 1100+ 45s.
45s712011.jpg

I just got done building one of these bins. I built the first design because I prefer the aesthetic of the first style, with the lower top, but I raised the bottom shelf 3/8" to cover the future casters I will add. I haven't finished or added trim yet because of budgetary concerns. Actually, I probably wont do much more since I used a lesser grade plywood (3/4" cabinet grade from Home Depot $25). I was able to build the whole thing for only $25! Now that I know how well it works, I will probably build a trio of them out of birch wood.

Thanks to those who contributed the plans, I love this thing!

Even if this bin costs $50 to build (which in many cases it doesn't), it is ONE of the very best audio-related buys that I could recommend to vinyl lovers. Flipping through record albums is so much easier and if you categorize them in some way, then it is just so much easier to find what you are looking for. Definitely a 5 THUMBS UP project.

Here is pictures of my build of this rack for a friend...

Leftview.jpg

Frontview.jpg

I did two main things different. I used a ton of biscuits for all the joints. All the weight of the records worried me so tried to make it strong as possible this way. Attaching stops under each shelf my be another option.

Second, I added wheels and covered with the recessed kick plate around. This small addition of course violated the principle of one sheet of wood, but I had the small amount around anyway and it made it look nicer!

All in all, for economical plywood, it comes out very nice! Thanks much for posting the plans!

EV3

Attachments

• Left view.jpg
    Left view.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 427
  • Front view.jpg
    Front view.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 362
Last edited:
Here is pictures of my build of this rack for a friend...

View attachment 301274

View attachment 301275

I did two main things different. I used a ton of biscuits for all the joints. All the weight of the records worried me so tried to make it strong as possible this way. Attaching stops under each shelf my be another option.

Second, I added wheels and covered with the recessed kick plate around. This small addition of course violated the principle of one sheet of wood, but I had the small amount around anyway and it made it look nicer!

All in all, for economical plywood, it comes out very nice! Thanks much for posting the plans!

EV3

Looks good. I had a version w/ wheels up. My plan is to mount the bottom shelf up 2 or 3 inches higher to hide the wheels and keep it to one sheet. I'm not sure if that is on the drawing that way.

I finally got around to building one this weekend. Used 4 x 8 birch plywood with a dark walnut stain, poly and 3/4" birch wood veneer edging to cover the plywood cut grains from showing on the front. Also 2 swivel castors on front with stationary castors on the back. Cost for me at Home Depot for all was about $75-$80 bucks. I really like how it cleans up the floor space! :thmbsp:

P1060952.jpg

P1060957.jpg

P1060961.jpg

P1060962.jpg

Great looking unit. I can see when I get around to making mine I'll add an under shelf type light as it's always too dark in the den to read the covers. I like the black wall drop in behind, sets it off nicely. Well done.

Great looking unit. I can see when I get around to making mine I'll add an under shelf type light as it's always too dark in the den to read the covers. I like the black wall drop in behind, sets it off nicely. Well done.

thanks! and glad you reminded me about the light, I was thinking about that last week, need to find one.

Great work guys!

Here's my version. I never saw this thread and just saw them on the lpbin website and decided I wanted to take it a step farther and add some drawers with dividers to hold all paraphernalia that goes along with turntables and albums. I lined the drawers with black velvet as in a jewelry box. They are made out of baltic birch plywood and finished with ebony stain and polyurethane.

DSCN0349.jpg

DSCN0351.jpg

DSCN0350.jpg

I also made a matching wall rack for cds and dvds

DSCN0352.jpg

Back
Top Bottom