Record in *DSD* and *192 kHz/24 Bit* PCM to standard DVD!

1420-1503

Tascam DV RA-1000 high definition audio master recorder
Tascam_DV_RA_1000.jpg

I'm thinking about buying this recorder! And I'd like to pass the suggestion to the collectors and musicians.

Records about 2 or 3 hours of music in hi-rez (as I remember, could be incorrect) on DVD (may also write to cd)
I suggest this might be usefull for people to make archives of their prized vinyl and tape collection, and if you play an instrument or have friends that do, and already have a good microphone and mic-pre, you have the tools to make your own world class audiophile recordings.

Can be hooked up to an external Harddrive or computer so it turns it into a hi-rez audio server if you want.

price is about 1300,00 $/€

Sounds like a great idea! I have a DVD recorder that I have been using to record audio as well as make video DVDs. The sound is fantastic, and it is cheaper than the above recorder, $600, but your Tascam recorder can do more and is a pro piece of gear.

What I like about it is that it records in hi-rezolution. If the DVD-recorder you mention can do that, then I'm certianly interested to hear more about it! :)

It's a Panasonic DMR-E80H. I has a 80Gig hard drive.
The manual isn't very informative about the audio specs. All it says is it records 2 channel linear PCM. D-A conversion specs for playback are 24bit / 96kHz. I don't know what the recording sample rate is or how many bits. I assume it is the same as playback, but I'll have to look into it.

Last edited:
Perhaps I'm mistaken in my logic but, I think if your recordings are compatibel with standard playback dvd players; then the sound format is at the most just like audio-cd's. At least I've been told that high-rez recordings made on the Tascam can't be read by normal dvd-players.

What's interesting about the Tascam is that it records in DSD, which is the format for super audio cd and DVD-audio. And this is to my knowledge non-existant for consumer gear at this time.

I have an e-mail into Panasonic about this. They acknowledged it and said they have referred it to their tech support group. Hopefully they will get back to me with some useful info.

IIRC, DSD is the Sony/Philips take, same standard as replay-only SACD and valiant against the DVD consortium which sustains DVD-A...
The Compact Disc and RW logos on the front would tend to prove the above, as both are Philips formats.

Anyway... AT LAST! It's here: a hi-res standalone audio recorder!!

Back
Top Bottom