Record Shops in Detroit area

Recent visits

Stopped at Memories and Melodies this week. Prices seemed a bit high to me on the used LPs for the condition, but they do have quite the selection of obscure new CDs. I managed to find a local blues album I've been searching for for over 10 years :music:, although I did have to think twice about the $16 price. :sigh: Bought it as a Xmas gift for the wife to give to me. :D

Also stopped at Hot Hits on Gratiot between 12 Mile and Common Rd. (IIRC that building used to be Remer's Office Supply years ago.) This is NOT your typical record store. More of a flea market for DVDs, CDs, LPs, video games, and various related collectibles. There are racks but much of the stuff is stacked on the floor and piled on top of other stuff. Looks like at one time the stuff was sorted but not much attempt made at keeping it that way. The day I was there it was below freezing outside and the building was just as cold inside... no heat? My fingers were frozen after about 45 minutes.

I only went through about 10% of what they had and came across some in nice shape that I didn't want and some I did in terrible shape that weren't worth the $2 he's asking for them. If you're willing to move and sort through waist-high piles of records, there may be some gems in there. Just wear old clothes, as it's dirty, and dress warmly. A headlamp wouldn't be a bad idea either. :D

I checked out Street Corner Records yesterday, great selection in their $1 bin. Was able to find some pretty good shape stuff I've been wanting for $1. Also got a pretty good 1969 Atlantic copy of In the Court of the Crimson King for $2.99 :) Listened to it when I got home, very happy.

I cannot wait to start visiting these stores as soon as the IRS sends me back the money I let them borrow. Where is our W2's???? ;) I am loving my new hobby, much cheaper than my other 50 hobbies, with just as much enjoyment. Reclaiming all the music I lost over the years is great.

This is cheaper?!? I hesitate to inquire as to your other hobbies ...

For me it is, because one vintage receiver and two hometheater AVR's is enough for me, I will not be in the market for more gear unless something comes across that I must have. But I have a limited music taste. I know what I like and all in all I might pick up one artist a year, maybe two that I like. So all my music taste is 70's-90's punk,classic rock, and a bit of the heavy stuff I liked in high school. There is enough, but a 4,000 album library is not in my future.

Also my deaf ears may notice the difference between a $60 pair of speakers and a $300-$700 set but I do not notice the difference in the $700 set and the $3,000 set. On the other hand as a car guy, I do notice the difference between the $400 socket set and the $25 set from sears. So I understand the addiction.

I came along after vinyl, but the music is always relevant, and I cannot wait to replace some of my favorite's from the 70's and 80's on vinyl. It goes without saying it doesn't sound right coming out of my Ipod. I always loved playing and listening to music, I think home theater made me forget that but I'm back.

Last edited:
Vertigo

One you might want to add to the "out of town" section is Vertigo Records in Grand Rapids. I went in there last time I was out that way and actually had to put a couple LPs back because I didn't want to get TOO carried away. Great indie rock/rock selection, huge used selection.

The owner is the same guy that used to run Vinyl Solution back in the day -which I remember going to in college.

http://www.vertigomusiconline.com/

Add -- RPM Record on S. Airport across from the mall next to "The Sound Room." in Traverse City. :D

I just learned about RPM Records a few weeks ago, but haven't had a chance to check it out yet. I was going to wait 'till I'd been there to post it here.

They have sort-of website but not much info on it.

There's a record show in TC may 12th also.

RPM Records Visit

After the TC Record Show this Sat, I stopped in at RPM Records. It's in a strip mall across from Grand Traverse Mall on S. Airport Rd. At the show they didn't have a lot of records, but a ton of vintage stereo gear for sale at fair but not bargain prices. Quite a bit of Mcintosh gear and at least 3 Mac speaker pairs. I suspect there's some ownership connection with The Sound Room, a high-end A/V sales and installation shop next door. Possibly they're taking this gear in on trade for new installations?

Very classy place... cozy, carpeted, soft lighting, records playing on a Mcintosh gear setup, framed posters and albums on the walls, neat, clean. Mostly rock and jazz LPs, neatly sorted and in plastic sleeves. A bit pricey, but everything appears to be upper level condition. No bargain bins or sale boxes. Also sell 45's, Spin-Clean's, Grado cartridges, and other accessories.

Awesome list. I'm going to be in Madison Heights and Novi on the weekend, I think I'll at least check out Solo since I'll be in the area. :)

Awesome list. I'm going to be in Madison Heights and Novi on the weekend, I think I'll at least check out Solo since I'll be in the area. :)

Personally, I'd pass on Solo Records and spend my time and money at either UHF Records in Royal Oak, my current favorite, or Street Corner Records in Oak Park, second favorite Eitherfor is head and shoulders above Solo.

Personally, I'd pass on Solo Records and spend my time and money at either UHF Records in Royal Oak, my current favorite, or Street Corner Records in Oak Park, second favorite Eitherfor is head and shoulders above Solo.

I didn't catch your post there until after I'd already left town or I would have checked out UHF. Thanks for the tip anyway, maybe I'll pop in next time I'm down there. Not sure what makes one record store head and shoulders above another, I think it depends what you end up finding there, right?

I hit Solo anyway and walked away happy.

I especially liked their RnB, funk, soul and motown section. I found a neat and relatively early James Brown record of blues, soul and jazz instrumentals. This really showcases the man's organ playing and ability to fuse different styles. Really interesting and excellent band as always.

7676406366_49238636b3.jpg

I was really happy to find a very good copy of Young Americans (they actually had two). The only drawback to this is that I don't think I could ever listen to it digitally again :scratch2:

7676391920_1f47525a06_z.jpg

Other goodies were John Mayall 'Jazz Blues Fusion', Live in Boston in New York, and very good copies of these:

7676530798_8ea2a09407.jpg

Flipside on 14 Mile Rd. was somehow less interesting, despite having many more records and a larger store. Still cooler than my record shop though ;)

Visited RPM in TC last weekend and was very pleased--clean used rock and jazz titles, well-organized, fair prices. One small $1 box. Found a very clean copy of Nicky Hopkins' "Tin Man was a Dreamer" for $8. There was also a nice copy of Shelley Mann's "The Gambit" for $6 which I should have bought.

Caution: Owner cleans all records and includes a new inner sleeve. He puts the open end facing out to make it easier for customers to remove the record and inspect condition--but records can fly out of the sleeve if you're used to storing them with open end up. It happened to me, like Woody Allen in "Manhattan".

Time to add a new one to the list:

Found Sound in fashionable Ferndale! :) Just opened last month.

234 West 9 Mile Road
Ferndale, MI 48220

Gee, thats too bad. Another record store within 3 miles of me. Boo Hoo. That makes 6 within a ten minute drive. It is an embarrassment of riches.

><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯ `· .¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>‏

Deal with it my friend!!!

Just rolled in there again on Friday before Sonny Rollins in the D. Pilfered them for the good stuff... you're going to have to take sloppy seconds Dave, sorry.

Happy Listener!:beatnik:

Back
Top Bottom