Record Stand

brianabingto

I know that Ikea's expedite shelves are commonly used by those on many forums for record storage. I don't often see one in this color.

DSCF0484.jpg

DSCF0485.jpg

DSCF0486.jpg

DSCF0487.jpg

My girlfriend and I will soon be moving out of the basement apartment upstairs in to the main house. I'll be using this stand for a 2 channel system in our dining room.

I assembled the whole thing with PL premium, I covered the dowels and edges of all the boards. I added a 1/4" piece of plywood to the back that I painted flat black. I wanted to make it as rigid as possible because I plan to eventually have the whole damn thing full of records and all the related audio gear on top.

I like it - adds a bit of color.
One of these days I'll get to Ikea's to check these out and price em. Wouldn't mind having a few to help with the vinyl clutter.

Thanks for the compliments.

the 2x4 shelves in wood grain are 69.99
the gloss white, grey or red are 89.99

I had cut the plywood to fit and marked the spots to drill for the eventual led lighting.

Took it out to the garage, drilled and painted it.

With the shelf laying face down I laid the plywood on the back made sure all the edges were lined up then lifted up each edge working my way around the shelf I applied pl premium in a zig zag pattern. I then added 3/4" screws into the back to make sure it never comes apart.

I am rebuilding my vinyl collection and hope to some day have this shelve and a couple 4x4 shelves full.

Last edited:
I like it. For your peace of mind, I've had the same piece (three actually) for 5 years or so. Completely overstuffed with records. The one on its side has a vpi 16.5 on top, along with more records and a number of books. No glue, no backing. No problems or signs of stress at all.

Nicely done! :thmbsp:

The Ikea shelves are quite strong enough to carry full loads, even up to the 5 x 5, even without a back (assuming you have it assembled and oriented correctly, and aren't jiggling or moving it!), but it's well worth the added security and peace of mind that adding a back provides... plus, a back panel keeps things from falling out the back side! :D

The color looks good. There is no reason you couldn't spray-coat these with any color, to match any decor. I'm leaving mine white, but mainly because in our new small (Hong Kong!) apartment, white color helps keep the place feeling brighter and less claustrophobic.

If it adds to your peace of mind, I previously had a 4 x 2 stacked atop the 5 x 5, and BOTH of them FULLY loaded, not only vertically, but with extra albums flat across the front (filling the 2" or so of empty space in front of the records, when the records are pushed against the back) and a couple (2 or 3, since that's all there is room for) albums on top of each row, too. The Expedits survived without a complaint or sign of wear, and even after being emptied, disassembled, moved and re-assembled in our new place (where I'm not quite stuffing them so much), the big one is still rock-solid (I'm not using the smaller one atop it, at this time).

Last edited:
Expedit

I assembled the whole thing with PL premium, I covered the dowels and edges of all the boards. I added a 1/4" piece of plywood to the back that I painted flat black. I wanted to make it as rigid as possible because I plan to eventually have the whole damn thing full of records and all the related audio gear on top.[/QUOTE]

Hi U guys inspired me to buy Expedit.
Bought the red gloss which is very nice.

What do u mean by 'sseebled the whole thing with PL Premium' ?

Am thinking about ply back panel too - otherwise LPs don t sit so well.
Thanks

I have two shelves left on my 4x4. Taking me a loooong time.. Filling that thing up has been 2 years in the making.

What do u mean by 'sseebled the whole thing with PL Premium' ?

PL premium is a construction adhesive.
http://www.loctiteproducts.com/loctite-pl-construction-adhesives-sealants.shtml

It's usually not with the wood glue...I usually find it next to the caulk. Depends on the store you are at.

Mike Holmes on his HGTV shows uses it to build decks and damn near anything that needs to support weight. It's thousands of times stronger than wood glue and I use it for everything.

nice shelf & nice RD40 or is that a Forte ? :thmbsp:

It's an RD-40 that I am restoring. It was my dads and in pretty sad shape. Really dusty, needs new springs, the tone arm is hard to adjust and the stylus is missing. I'm really excited to get it working.

I have been thinking about putting a back on my Ikea 5x5 unit and landed on the idea of using sound absorption panels. My unit is in the back of my room so it is the perfect place for it. I like the red of your cab better though.

I have been thinking about putting a back on my Ikea 5x5 unit and landed on the idea of using sound absorption panels. My unit is in the back of my room so it is the perfect place for it. I like the red of your cab better though.

precisely my thoughts too.
Why not back the thing with acoustic panels as its gonna be on the left side of my listening area

Dennis, I used plain 1x1 wood, and secured it to the bottom of each shelf with double-sided tape. It sits just far enough so that the jackets are flush with the front, and nothing slides deeper into the cubes. Much easier to pick and pull/replace lps. It actually has me not storing any on the floor.

Then you could cover the back with your absorption panels, without having records pushing into them.

Back
Top Bottom