Record Store Day 2018

That was also my thought on the Johnny Cash Folsom box set. Those can get pricey, and my local record store is more cautious in ordering the expensive box sets as their experience is they go unsold more often than cheaper releases. I'd also buy more records from more artists on the day of the event than put nearly all my money into one box set.

For my birthday last month, my wife bought me the copy of the 50th anniversary edition of Electra's The Folk Box that had been sitting there unsold since RSD 2014. There was even local interest, as a local professor wrote some liner notes for the reissue, and it still sat there for nearly 4 years.

Last week I was at the record store looking at the list the owner is buying from. I saw a few things I will want to add to my collection.

Taylor Swift (don’t judge) hahahahaha
Uria heep
Steven Wilson
Compton’s most wanted
Led Zeppelin
Rob base dj ez rock
Prince 1999
Too short
Evenesince

I can’t get them all but will try for the first 5

I wouldn't mind picking up the Madonna picture disc. That looks kind of cool. Even that's just a novelty item, though -- which brings me to my heartburn with the whole thing. It's mainly novelty, nothing essential or substantial musically (just my opinion, of course).

Ok, We're back from Main Street Jukebox in East Stroudsburg. We arrived 8:30, line as already a pretty good size. The first guy in line was there at 4, he told me. Donna-liscious and I grabbed:
Stones' Satanic Majesties Request, Who's The Kids Are Alright, Grant Green's From Paris to Antibes, Pink Floyd's The Piper at The Gates of Dawn, Prince's 1999, Elvis's The King In The Ring, David Bowie's Welcome To The Blackout (Live London '78), The Bottom Line Archive's Lou Reed & Kris Kristofferson.
I missed the BAD On The Road '92 album by seconds, and may go back to get the Frank Zappa orchestral LP, The Cure, Allman Bros Live album and a couple of others I wanted. No Ella at Zardi's live album, too bad. I passed on the Miles Davis Rubberband EP and Monk playing standards LP.
Update: MFSL Allman Bros. Eat A Peach in our collection!

Last edited:
I was in line at 7am for a 11am open here, was 5th in line. Lots of good conversations with the usual suspects at the head of the line, polite crowd in the store, the usual RSD morning here.

Big Audio Dynamite II - On the Road '92 12" EP
The Durutti Column - Another Setting 2LP (bonus live LP on clear)
The Sundays - Reading, Writing & Arithmetic LP
The Swans - Die Tür ist Zu 2LP (3 sides)
Belly - Feel 10" EP (blue with white splatter)
Sufjan Stevens - "Mystery of Love" 10" single (clear)
The National - Boxer Live in Brussels LP (clear)
Merxbow/Pandi/Gustafsson/Moore - Cuts Up Cuts Out LP
Brian Eno with Kevin Shields - "The Weight of History" 12" single

5 new releases and 4 reissues, not a bad ratio.

Last edited:
This was my first year going. About 25 people were ahead of me at 08:15, then someone from the store came out and took one request from everyone starting at the front. I got the one I went for plus a few others and everyone was happy.

My haul:
The Cure
U2
Eurythmics
Duran Duran
Cheech and Chong
Saxon

Missed a few I wanted, but here's what I was able to grab:

Courtney Barnett - City Looks Pretty / Sunday Roast 12"
David Bowie - Welcome To The Blackout (Live in London '78)
First Aid Kit - You Are The Problem Here 7"
Jimi Hendrix - Mannish Boy / Trash Men 7"
Pink Floyd - The Piper At the Gates Of Dawn (mono)
TAD - Quick & Dirty
Secret Sisters - Big River / Wabash Cannonball 7"
Snow Patrol - Don't Give In / Life On Earth 10"
The Wipers - Live At The Met, December 31, 1982
Trampled By Turtles - Wildflowers / Life Is Good On the Road 7"

(missed out on Gig - still bummed about that)

-D

Ended up with:

Thomas Andrew Doyle
Incineration Ceremony (last minute decision to pick this over the TAD album)
The Wipers Live At The Met, December 31, 1982
The Stooges The Stooges (Detroit Edition)
Prince 1999
Madonna Madonna (picture disc)

Almost bought the John Fogerty Centerfield picture disc but couldn't justify the cost. It should have been a 7".
Minor regrets I didn't get Tim Buckley Live At The Troubadour but I think it was $40. Might listen to it on mp3 tonight and see if I want to go back tomorrow.
The Johnny Cash box was nowhere to be found by the time I got there; anyone know what the retail price was?

I got the Led Zep 45 but not the Pink Floyd LP. Bought 2 2017 RSD 45's. Picked up some used blues CD's and a few vintage LP's. Had a good time

The Johnny Cash box was $85 at my local store, they had one copy and it went quick. Both mono Pipers were also grabbed before I saw them, but other than that I pretty much got all I wanted. I just stopped by again (I had forgotten a folding chair sitting in front of the store) and they still had two copies of The Catherine Wheel reissue, but I'm going to wait until payday at the end of the month to get one, in a belated attempt to not butcher my budget for April.

Now I'm finally home and ready to spin some records.

Yeah Piranah in Round Rock (Austin) had got in everything I wanted and I entered "the aisle" 20 minutes after opening. More than half of what I wanted was gone...meaning he only ordered several copies of some things. No Johnny Cash, no Roxanne single, no Nico single, no Motorhead, no Singapore a-go-go. Outside of Roxanne which I bet he got a dozen of and the first dozen grabbed em...I bet he ordered maybe 4 of the rest of those..if that. It kills me that they will order like 2 dozen copies of Madonna and at the end of the day 18 of them are still sitting there.

I did listen to the Singapore when I got home on youtube..lol. I ended up with the Tull EP, the Government Mule, and Hawkwind, Tangerine Dream, Uriah Heep, and BOC rarities Vol 2.

So, disappointing (I still have yet to have ANY Cash record or pure country in my collection..lol) but..well meh.

Last edited:
Part of the problem is they way the records are doled out to the stores. The store I went to said they ordered 20 copies of Motorhead and they got four.

(The first Madonna album is great btw.)

Part of the problem is they way the records are doled out to the stores. The store I went to said they ordered 20 copies of Motorhead and they got four.

(The first Madonna album is great btw.)

Have had the first Madonna album on CD for some time. Found a used LP copy this week in great condition. Sounds very nice on vinyl.

There are several reddit threads with online shops that are selling their leftover rsd stock. Found a copy of the Cash box set for $85 shipped (hopefully that happens, we'll see).

After a previous year's line standing mess, I had no plan to do RSD again...but was walking in Midtown on Sunday and asked my son if he wanted to check out Rock and Soul, a great DJ equip and record store. No lines, great stock and the DJ booth upstairs was swinging.
Excellent time and went home with a good stash, including the Gary Stewart 45 and the J Dilla Ruff Draft (son's pick).

I'm an old guy too. I have plenty of old stuff. I prefer buying new music.
If only new music was as interesting and innovative as old music (my own very personal opinion, of course). :) I consider myself a "young" (-ish) guy and can't think of much in the contemporary realm that excites me. 99% of what I buy and listen to is from the late 60s to the mid-80s, with the best stuff dating from the 70s.

Since I was in the neighborhood, I stopped by TJ's Records in Port Charlotte on Thursday. I picked up some jazz:
Spiro Gyra-Catching The Sun, Real good elevator music
Charlie Byrd-For All We Know/Love Story, Live real good guitar playing movie toons and covers
The Oscar Peterson Trio-Night Train, I thought this one was going to be the real jewel. Verve recording from 1962. Got home and found out I already had a real good copy.

The front page of the Charlotte Sun had a big story on RSD and TJ was interviewed.

On Saturday my wife was headed back that direction, so I told her to take back the double and check the country collection. She brought home:
Emmy Lou Harris-Evangeline, one of the few Emmy's she didn't have.
Rosanne Cash Right or Wrong, a demo edition
The Dirt Band-An American Dream
Dottie West-Country Sunshine
T Graham Brown-I Tell It Like It Used To Be

She's happy, I'm happy and so is TJ

Back
Top Bottom