• I have spent waaay more $ on my gear

Votes: 73 36.1%
  • I have spent a bit more $ on my gear

Votes: 27 13.4%
  • I have spent about the same on both gear & records

Votes: 24 11.9%
  • I have spent a bit more on recordings

Votes: 25 12.4%
  • I have spent waaay more on recordings.

Votes: 53 26.2%

• Total voters
There was a time in the early eighties when I didn't think of walking out of a record store having spent a C-note. Since most of my gear came cheap or free, I have to say the recordings - 1000+ LPs and several hundred CDs - came at a much higher cost.

Alan

I have spent somewhere between 13K and 15K on equipment over the last 30 + years. As for music, starting with 100's of records, then nearly a thousand blank Maxell cassettes and some version of 2000 cds I'd have to say I am in the $20,000 range for music.

When you add it up, this hobby is worse than drugs! :music: :D

Some times we got to a paoint we don't wanna know what we've spent on either.. I quit adding..

I have pretty much stopped buying gear so it won't be long (if not already)where the amount I spend on music will soon match or exceed what I have spent on gear.

I've got about 6000 Lps and 5000 cds and only three or four years ago I started upgrading my audio gear. Even though the audio gear is now considerable better to what I had before, still the investment made in the music collection far surpasses the one made in electronics.

All told, I've been investing more in pro audio and bass amp gear, and shopping for CD's as opposed to vinyl. Getting deals on vintage home audio has driven my gear purchase amount down and buying CD's new and used has brought that level up this year in particular. While the economy has suffered I have maintained rather nicely as entertainment has and always will flourish in tough times. One has only to examine the effects of the Great Depression of the early 1900's on the entertainment business to see the truth in my statement. I'm a musician by trade and still do a good bit of work.

Still seeing the same curve as right after this started, suggesting that maaaybe this is a good approximation of AK. I'm pretty sure 178 responses is not statistically significant here though - I hope we can get some more!

since I been buying records since 1963 and have over 4000LPs, Id figure alot more on vinyl then gear. Most of my gear I bought new too before it was considered vintage. Even if I average out my records at $10 each, thats $40,000. My gear, maybe $10,000

I'd also guess about 95% of my vinyl was bought new.

since I been buying records since 1963 and have over 4000LPs, Id figure alot more on vinyl then gear. Most of my gear I bought new too before it was considered vintage. Even if I average out my records at $10 each, thats $40,000. My gear, maybe $10,000

I'd also guess about 95% of my vinyl was bought new.

If you started in the early 60s, I'd think the average is a bit lower unless you are trying to approximate inflation into it or bought the vast majority in the 80's and later. You might consider inflation of gear bought new a long time ago too - $500 in 1970 = $2,813.

If you started in the early 60s, I'd think the average is a bit lower unless you are trying to approximate inflation into it or bought the vast majority in the 80's and later. You might consider inflation of gear bought new a long time ago too - $500 in 1970 = $2,813.

Actually, I'd say the bigger portion of my vinyl buying days would have been from 1970-today. The LPs bought in the 60s were less then 100 and mostly from birthday,Christmas money. I think my average would be about right. And I did say average. An lp in the early 60s was about $5. But the vast majority of my records were maybe $12-$20. I think a $10 average is fair.

As for gear, some was purchased in 74, more in 77,78,79 and some in the early 80s but that was in Germany,PX. Hard to figure the cost of gear when bought in the PX cause its much cheaper. An example, my Lascalas I got in Germany and the pair was $1100. Here in the states in 85 I checked and they were a bit over $2500 a pair. I bought a SX-1980 in 1979 for $1195. Today they go for twice that in the used market. So, if you're saying money today is 4X what it was then, could you imagine what a SX-1980 would cost today if they were manufactured now??

Back
Top Bottom