Redboy's setup from the audio underground

Not much talent here, Frank. Lots of head-scratching, thumb-smashing, toe-stubbing blunders in the dark and some good friends to light the (usually obvious) way.

But thanks for the sentiment, anyway. :)

Nate,
Sometimes we're the last to see how far we've come because all we remember is the mistakes . . .so we won't repeat them, right?

After that embarrassing picture a few posts back (remember the one with the cellophane tape wire insulation...?), I feel obligated to share another picture.

It's a bit trivial, but I rewired that Decca tonearm. It looks better and might even sound a smidge better. :rolleyes:

01018.jpg~original

01030.jpg~original

Last edited:
I've also been experimenting with different step up transformers. I've wired up a couple different pairs of input transformers that I had around, and I have plans to wire up a few more. Got these great little aluminum boxes that are just the perfect thing for them...

02001.jpg~original

02003.jpg~original

Last edited:
Or these cheesy new US pennies that look like they were outsourced to the lowest bidder...

Quite the system you have there Nate, you've done some excellent work. :yes: :thmbsp:

Scott

Isn't being an audiophile isolation enough?

Wants in the little aluminum box to the right in the picture Nate?

Awesome setup. Now if you only had a proper rack for it all.

To protect the wood, or to change the sound? :scratch2:

I originally did it on my turn table to protect the wood. I almost used some nickles and then I remember reading that copper has sound deadening properties (plus they are cheaper) so I decided to use them. Now I may be imagining things, but it seemed to make a difference in reducing feedback. I assume vintage coins would be audio nirvana! You may want to experiment between US and Canadian coins and possibly other denominations.

I originally did it on my turn table to protect the wood. I almost used some nickles and then I remember reading that copper has sound deadening properties (plus they are cheaper) so I decided to use them. Now I may be imagining things, but it seemed to make a difference in reducing feedback. I assume vintage coins would be audio nirvana! You may want to experiment between US and Canadian coins and possibly other denominations.

For nickels, try some 1942-43 tombac Canadians, they have a high copper content. As for pennies, pre-1997 Canadians were copper, where they shifted to nickel and steel afterwards.

While this is mostly in jest, I hope we don't unwillingly start a new craze. :D

az

Quite the system you have there Nate, you've done some excellent work. :yes: :thmbsp:
Thanks Scott!

To level your platter.:thmbsp:
Heh! :) Give rfgumby some credit, here - he wouldn't have gone to all this trouble without providing some way to level the platter!

Hi! I didn't know you were here at AK, too.
Isn't being an audiophile isolation enough?

Wants in the little aluminum box to the right in the picture Nate?

Awesome setup. Now if you only had a proper rack for it all.
Very funny, Gary!

The little aluminum box is a step up that I built. Go back a page in this thread for a couple more pictures...
I assume vintage coins would be audio nirvana! You may want to experiment between US and Canadian coins and possibly other denominations.
For nickels, try some 1942-43 tombac Canadians, they have a high copper content. As for pennies, pre-1997 Canadians were copper, where they shifted to nickel and steel afterwards.

While this is mostly in jest, I hope we don't unwillingly start a new craze. :D

az
:lmao:

This penny stuff is great! I think I'll deface a few sets of different coins soon.

Last edited:
That's a sweet setup especially the Decca arm and cartridge, I also have one on a 60's connoisseur TT that needs some work. Was hoping to tune it up over the winter, just never happened.

How does it sound?

What kind of interconnects are you using? And how do you have multiple pairs of SUT-worthy input transformers just laying around?

Nate, your craftsmanship and aesthetics are always top notched. Beautiful work and I bet they sound even better!
Thank you, Carl!
What kind of interconnects are you using? And how do you have multiple pairs of SUT-worthy input transformers just laying around?
Interconnects are a hodgepodge of stuff, mostly purchased secondhand when they showed up at a price I couldn't resist. I don't own that many of them, though. My favorites are some Nordost Red Dawns and a pair of Siltech something or others.

The input transformers were a lucky break. I bought a box lot of "small transformers" from an auction for a defunct radio station. It was cheap, and yielded a minor treasure trove of fun little goodies. I have several singleton transformers that I'd like to pair up at some point, too.

Guts of one of those step ups. The switch is a ground lift that either connects the negative phases of the cables to chassis ground or lifts them from it. I didn't connect the transformer ground terminals to the chassis because I found that they were already well grounded by virtue of being bolted to the metal box.

01014.jpg~original

01010.jpg~original

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom