Refurbishing a pair of 4638 need some help picking tweeters

Discussion in 'The Lansing Legacy' started by Mrvintage, Jan 10, 2019.

1. Mrvintage

Mrvintage Member

Good evening fellow AKR's

I'm rebuild my vintage system and have obtained a set of 4638 theatre bins and the matching 2446H drivers. I have been told that 2446H drivers drop off the highend frequencies pretty quick. So I'm looking for a better tweeter to fill in the high frequency, it was mentioned to me to try and find a pair of 2405 drivers or something similar. I've seen a few different type of tweeters on Parts E****** but I want to stay true to the JBL legacy.
    I'm having the 4638 bins professionally recovered in a walnut veneer by Stewart Speaker Systems here in Ontario Cnd so I want to to try and find the tweeters before I do that process incase I need to change anything. I'm hoping a member here can steer me in the right direction

Shane

Attached Files:

Please register to disable this ad.

2. turnitdown

turnitdown Well-worn member Subscriber

My suggestion (worth its price) is to audition them for a couple of weeks. Run your favorite tracks through them and then decide. You may be surprised by your ears and the contribution to sound that not being behind a screen might provide.

ivandezande likes this.
  3. Mrvintage

Mrvintage Member

Good evening turndown
    Good point I will set them up and give them a workout before I make any move on buying tweeters. but if I do need more high end I wonder if I can mount the 2405 tweeters into the 4638 bins in the upper corner or will the change anything in the bins operation

Shane

4. turnitdown

It rarely works out well with combing being a problem. If you can get the crossover right, including time alignment, it's worth a try. I don't have the experience others here do, but I suggest you get some measuring equipment. It's well worth it. The tweeter won't effect the bin, just the sound. Look at some of the classic JBLs that have the tweeter in a 3 way. Anything's possible with a studied approach.

5. Mrvintage

Mrvintage Member

Hey turnitdown

I will be driving the bins with a pair of bridged Yamaha P2200’s for the bass a separate P2200 for the 2446h drivers and if I need to, I have another P2200 for the highs. I will be using a DBX 260 drive rack for my crossover

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  6. turnitdown

Nice. Let us know once you start assembling the parts.

Please register to disable this ad.

7. donprice

donprice Wound up workin' at a gas station.... Subscriber

I bet you can get the DBX 260 to flatten out the 2446 report enough to avoid needing a supertweeter.

I assume you are going to use a mic with the auto-EQ function.

8. Mrvintage

Mrvintage Member

Good Evening Don

Yes Don I will be using the mic to set up the room and to help in the audio adjustments. I will be doing a little more reading to figure out more about the 260 Driverack. When I purchased the driverack off of Ki***** from a seller in Montreal he sent it without instructions, so I will have a bit of a learning curve to utilize the driverack to it's full potential. I do have a set of Beyma horns which I've had for a few years that I could use to see if the JBL's sound better with more highs. If they do, then I will know and will start my hunt for a set of JBL tweeters ( 2405, ST302-x, 077 or ST 400 ). I want a tweeter that I can add to the 4638 bins and keep the look clean. The 2446H horn bolts on the top of the bins but I was thinking to make a separate enclosure and mount the enclosure to the top of the bins like Altec 19's. The Beyma horns are big (pics below) and that separate enclosure may look pretty good added to the top of the bins, so far I've been able to keep the wife approval rating pretty high but not to sure if I can sell her on another 18-20" to the top of the 4638's

Attached Files: