Rega Apollo-R

Art K.

The Voodoo You Do!
Just ordered the Rega Apollo-R! Should have it in a couple of weeks...let the fun begin!:thmbsp:

You're a cd player machine! Really interested to hear your opinions though, knowing you've owned the original Apollo. I've been intrigued by the R ever since I read about it.

I love the Compact disc...it is Perfect Sound Forever!...

Well, maybe not quite but the format can sound mighty good.

such a nice deck...looking forward to hearing your impressions.....I have only recently picked up my first Rega bits, analog though both of them. ;-)

Picking up the Apollo-R this afternoon in Portland...terrible driving weather today...

Can't wait to hear your impressions, Art. Been thinking about this one for a while.

Will do fella's. I'll take some reference music and will compare some nice standmount speakers from Spendor, ProAc, PMC, Nola and more...this will be fun!

I'm back from Portland with my prize and I had a wonderful time. I had time to audition 4 wonderful speakers at length. The Spendor LS3/5r2, ProAc Tablette Anniversary, Nola Boxers and the PMC TB2i. More on that later as I definitely was able to form an impression of each and I took some notes.

I'm back from Portland with my prize and I had a wonderful time. I had time to audition 4 wonderful speakers at length. The Spendor LS3/5r2, ProAc Tablette Anniversary, Nola Boxers and the PMC TB2i. More on that later as I definitely was able to form an impression of each and I took some notes.

That sounds like a great session!

^ Ohhh dude that suxs! I am slightly interested in this deck as I am looking for a new CDP. Where I bought the NAD they had an Apollo-R but I did not have time to give it a listen. Also I am not sure I want to spend that kind of money........also looking at a NAD 545BEE.
Suxs, you coulda had a nice weekend playing.

^ Ohhh dude that suxs! I am slightly interested in this deck as I am looking for a new CDP. Where I bought the NAD they had an Apollo-R but I did not have time to give it a listen. Also I am not sure I want to spend that kind of money........also looking at a NAD 545BEE.
Suxs, you coulda had a nice weekend playing.

I went through 4 NAD C545BEE's so do be careful and only buy from a dealer who will support you. The 545 sounds quite nice but can have some issues.

I will pick up unit number 2 next Thursday. From the correspondence I have gathered relative to the Apollo-R from other owners there have been some early issues just like with the original Apollo. We'll see next week.

Damn Art. That really sucks. What's it doing? Or, actually, not doing?

Art mentioned the original Apollo, so I wonder if it's doing what the early ones did.
When I bought my Apollo the store gave me a loaner Apollo that was made a few years before (2006??) and it was very buggy. It seemed that every-other disc I loaded or every-other time I skipped a track it would get lost. When I picked my Apollo up I told them I was going to test it with many discs and put it through its paces before I took it home. I haven't had any issues with mine.
The issues with the software on the original are well documented. I hope Rega hasn't done that again.

Art, I've been listening to the Brio-R and just recently the Appollo. Can't get a good gauge on characteristics as we've been swapping out speakers on the setup with only short runs between them, but I can attest it was favorable on all of them.

The Rega DAC is the go-to at the shop, used prior to the Appollo with a Bel Canto transport.

Good luck sorting your unit out!

Art mentioned the original Apollo, so I wonder if it's doing what the early ones did.
When I bought my Apollo the store gave me a loaner Apollo that was made a few years before (2006??) and it was very buggy. It seemed that every-other disc I loaded or every-other time I skipped a track it would get lost. When I picked my Apollo up I told them I was going to test it with many discs and put it through its paces before I took it home. I haven't had any issues with mine.
The issues with the software on the original are well documented. I hope Rega hasn't done that again.

This is kind of what it is...and yes they have done it again. I am in correspondence with another Apollo-R owner who had the same problem. I used to have the original Apollo so I guess if I keep at it I'll get one that works. For a guy who has been through 9 cd players since December I'm just not sure how much patience I have left. I't quite the haul to Portland if you have to do it more than once for the same thing. Next week we will combine it with a trip to Ikea.

Back
Top Bottom