Rega Brio-R

Unfortunately it failed today. It's a 2012 model and it has always popped on startup. Not sure if related but today the right channel didn't work on startup. A quick restart and all back to normal. Later on I changed an interconnect and as I turned it on both channels were gone. Shut down, let rest for a minute, start, only left channel works. So I decided to leave it be, I'm very scared to harm my beloved Harbeths somehow.

Haha, I guess we're back to no failed Brios!

I am an idiot. I've sent it to be serviced and what do you know, as I listen tonight to my backup (the Hegel) the right channel drops and I immediately slam the remote on my lap, cursing loudly realizing what's going on.

I hereby swear to for all eternity if buying a used interconnect - take the connectors apart, yank ever so slightly on the solder points to see that they are OK

I need a drink...

Thought I'd jumpstart this Brio R conversation. Has anyone had the chance to hear the new Brio 2017? I've been borrowing a Brio R and am mighty impressed, and having already decided to purchase one I decided to do more online pricing research, only to discover that there's a new model. Wondering if it's worth the extra 200 bucks to go with the 2017. Naturally I'd love to hear from those of you who may be familiar with the R model and who've listened to or purchased the 2017. Thanks in advance.

The new one digs out more detail and has a not so subtle upgrade in terms of heft and weight to the sound. It's part just having better components, part a slight re-voicing from the designers. The build quality is amazing in the new one - a rock solid aluminium slab. Still forward and fun sounding but now with more detail and the ability to throw a kick.

You'll be happy either way but I'd grab a 2017 model if you find a good deal.

The new one digs out more detail and has a not so subtle upgrade in terms of heft and weight to the sound. It's part just having better components, part a slight re-voicing from the designers. The build quality is amazing in the new one - a rock solid aluminium slab. Still forward and fun sounding but now with more detail and the ability to throw a kick.

You'll be happy either way but I'd grab a 2017 model if you find a good deal.

What he said.

Fantastic. Have been reading about the Brio R for years and surprised it's taken me this long to listen to it. All hyperbole aside, this is, IMHO, a special amp. If the 2017 is similar but better, then I'll pony up for the 2017. But there is little doubt that I'd be happy with the R. I am a long time separates tube guy with too many tube preamps and power amps who longed for something simple: I'm not getting rid of my tubes, but this Brio is amazingly close--like, too close to call and perhaps even better in numerous ways--than my tube separates. As someone who's been in this hobby for decades, I can honestly say (haha!) that I could live with this amp forever...or until I decided to buy another amp! You know how it goes. But as far as I'm concerned the hype on this amp is well-deserved.

It sure brings music to life wonderfully.

But I have to add that one problem with the new Brio is that it sits quite close to a used Elex-R in price. If for argument sake we say they sit in a 300-500-700 gbp relationsship between the Brio-R, Brio and Elex-R I'd say the latter jump is at least twice as big as the former sonically. The added overall scale and depth to vocal nuances etc is no joke. I have both the Brio-R and Elex-R at home fwiw so I've switched enough to know the differences quite well.

But yeah, hard to go wrong either way :)

I have the BrioR in my bedroom setup and like it but wish it had a headphone amp. The new one now has the headphone out and that is worth the money for me. I paid way more than $200 for an outboard headphone amp, and then you have more wires. Sidebar: this is why I never replaced the Rega with a Soneteer Alabaster. Sonneteer is my favorite amp but no headphone out.

I have the BrioR in my bedroom setup and like it but wish it had a headphone amp. The new one now has the headphone out and that is worth the money for me. I paid way more than $200 for an outboard headphone amp, and then you have more wires. Sidebar: this is why I never replaced the Rega with a Soneteer Alabaster. Sonneteer is my favorite amp but no headphone out.

The Belles Aria has phono and headphone. It's in the same league as the Alabaster.

I am a long time separates tube guy with too many tube preamps and power amps who longed for something simple: I'm not getting rid of my tubes, but this Brio is amazingly close--like, too close to call and perhaps even better in numerous ways--than my tube separates. As someone who's been in this hobby for decades, I can honestly say (haha!) that I could live with this amp forever...or until I decided to buy another amp! You know how it goes. But as far as I'm concerned the hype on this amp is well-deserved.

I've come to a similar conclusion. My (restored) '59 Fisher X-100 with premium vintage tubes has been sidelined because my Brio-R just sounds better to me, with more weight, better tonal accuracy, and greater textural detail. The Brio-R's imaging is almost as good as tubes.

And solid state sure is more convenient than tubes!

I've come to a similar conclusion. My (restored) '59 Fisher X-100 with premium vintage tubes has been sidelined because my Brio-R just sounds better to me, with more weight, better tonal accuracy, and greater textural detail. The Brio-R's imaging is almost as good as tubes.

And solid state sure is more convenient than tubes!

Why do I get the feeling somebody wrote something like this in the 1970's?

Hi guys. I have been the proud owner of a Brio-R since 2013 and I am still in love with this little amp since then.
This amp really rocks and I think that it will be my companion for many, many years. (Even if I get to add an Elex R later on!)

So recently I upgraded the mains AC power cable to an Isotek Sequel.
Power cables is not something I used to believe in until I was given one on loan to try out. WOW! I should have done it so many years ago!, I just couldn't believe how much more detail there is, the imaging, the whole soundstage. I though that I was imagining this until I asked my partner to sit down and tell me what she thought. She was as surprised as I was of how much more we could hear! So without hesitation I kept the Isotek Sequel, awesome.

There is only one thing that has always bothered me and that is the flimsiness of the rear cover when plugging and unplugging cables, as we know the money went into the guts of the machine, but this is one thing that should have been done better.
So I was wondering, are you guys aware of any replacement cover for it? more sturdy and so that the whole back panel doesn't bend so much when unplugging stuff? Is it worth it to replace?
What do you guys think?
Thanks.

No, I have not seen any replacements for the back cover. That was always one of my niggles with it too. I just avoided unnecessary changes and was very careful when I did. Great little amp. I’m sure my ex wife is still enjoying it.

Hi Art, thank you for your reply.
I thought that would be the case :(

Nevertheless, what a machine! I have been following your forum for a number of years, thank you. By the way which set up do you have? I was considering upgrading my speakers in the next few years and I was looking to pair the Brio R with the PMC Twenty.22 (the bookshelves), but I was just told recently that they are being replaced by the Twenty5 21/22. What about the Rega RX1, would they be a bit light on the deep side? Cheers.

I don't really need a lot of bass so I may be the wrong one to ask. However, that said I find the Rega standmount speakers to be very bass shy. Also the drivers are a bit fragile, in particular the midbass driver. The PMC's would probably be very nice. Also look at ProAc and Harbeth.

Hi Everyone!!
Can any of you guys send me the official user manual of the YBA Integré amplifier? the single transf. version one's please.. I know it's not a comlicated thing, I've had it at least 15 years, but I want to check sg. in the manual...
thnaks a lot..
hifi engine, or vinyl engine doesn't let no one to register

Hi Everyone!!
Can any of you guys send me the official user manual of the YBA Integré amplifier? the single transf. version one's please.. I know it's not a comlicated thing, I've had it at least 15 years, but I want to check sg. in the manual...
thnaks a lot..
hifi engine, or vinyl engine doesn't let no one to register
You realize that this is a Rega Brio-R thread, right? Perhaps start a thread about your YBA amp...

Back
Top Bottom