1. Rest in Peace Paul (Kegger) If you would like to help the family in this time of great sorrow and need, you may donate on their GoFundme page: https://www.gofundme.com/mckechnie-medical-and-funeral-fund?
    Dismiss Notice

Rega Elex-R owners?

Discussion in 'New Gear - Values' started by writethis, Jan 12, 2015.

1. nickrobotron

nickrobotron una bella tazza di caffe Subscriber

Haha. Yes. I enjoyed the Elex-R quite a bit, but was ultimately dissatisfied with its lack of features for my needs. It also was not the best pairing for my KEF R500's. They were both on the slightly dark side and my system was seriously lacking air. When I put my friend's Yamaha A-S801 into my system, it sounded so much more balanced. It added some air and cleaned my system up a little. The built in DAC was very nice as well. I ended up selling the Rega and buying a Yamaha. The leftover money was much needed at the time.

But the Rega is a fine amp. If I had gone with B&W speakers, the Rega would have stayed.

2. redbull333

redbull333 New Member

Oh I have KEF R500's as well!

Good to know the Rega is not a great match. I am currently looking at a Sonneteer Campion instead.

3. KevinCorr

KevinCorr AK Subscriber Subscriber

Don't complain about my Spendor A6 speakers!

4. Facie

Facie AK Subscriber Subscriber

Any more feedback on the Elex? I'm deciding between the new Brio (2017 version) and the Elex. Don't need a ton of volume (small room) and have highly efficient speakers.

What are people thinking now that their Elex is broken in? Anyone have any direct experience with the new 2017 Brio post-break in?

5. StevenZ

StevenZ Texas or nothin'

I'm interested in this too but it seems that a few of the guys who bought them no longer have them in their signatures. I think that might be a pretty good indicator of their dissatisfaction.

6. Facie

Facie AK Subscriber Subscriber

I ended up purchasing the Elex about 6 weeks ago. I did a strict A/B test with the Brio and the Elex. The difference was subtle, but there. The Elex had a wider and deeper sound stage. The Elex also (to my ears at least) seemed to handle the high end with greater finesse. I've had my Elex running for six weeks now. No regrets whatsoever.