Rega Planar 2 with R200

Montycat

Staff member
Subscriber
I picked this up today for a good price. The guy said the tonearm was "broken" which it is, sort of.

The anti-skate belt is broken, which I expected. It seems to be at a pretty high setting which means I don't feel good just leaving it so that will be a project. Conversely, the arm bearings seem to be excellent and it also has the original headshell.

What I think he might have meant by "broken" was the arm stub being loose: easy fix, and the arm lock: ditto.

Otherwise it looks great. I have always had a soft spot for this table despite the speed stability issues I had. This was the second or third turntable I ever owned, and longest ownership, except I had a Grace tonearm on mine.

20181202_120809.jpg 20181202_120850.jpg 20181202_120913.jpg

Sweet. And nice that it's certainly a table you'll get your money back out of when you sell it.

Thanks.

And now to get that belt. I found the link in another thread to a US vendor who has a close enough match but the minimum order value is high. I see an eBay in the UK vendor too and it's not a lot better.

The R200 has a magnetic AS. There is an internal magnet assembly that moves up or down, attracting to a steel ring mounted to the tone arm assembly. I had this arm, but it went away.

Yes, I know. The belt causes the magnet assembly to move up or down. I'm sure I can handle the work though it does look fiddly.

This is purported to be the belt people use and it's only $2. Trouble is minimum order is $30 plus shipping.

A 6B 18M140030

No I think I'm good. That was a frustrating project that didn't work out. I discovered some other damage to the bearing in the tonearm. But I have 2 other R200s and have the belts for them. One of these days!

If it's the same eBay vendor from the UK that you were looking at one of the belts I have I got from him. Other belt I picked up from someone off one of the sites - CAM, here or vinylengine. Sorry I can't recall which at the moment.

S'alright. I saw the eBay vendors that market it as the RB200 repair kit, with both offering the little piece to help make the slightly long belt fit better. But the part # and price I was mentioning was from the US company that sells all sorts of belts and dohickies. I might just look around their site and see if they have anything else I can use.

If I do order from them I will get several anyway.

These guys: http://sdp-si.com/products/timing-belts/ixl.php

Those tables are really lookers. It's the only table my wife ever expressed an opinion about. She was PO'd when I sold it.

S'alright. I saw the eBay vendors that market it as the RB200 repair kit, with both offering the little piece to help make the slightly long belt fit better. But the part # and price I was mentioning was from the US company that sells all sorts of belts and dohickies. I might just look around their site and see if they have anything else I can use.

If I do order from them I will get several anyway.

These guys: http://sdp-si.com/products/timing-belts/ixl.php

Keep us posted! :idea:

I would like two or more belts for "in case" I need them later. :thumbsup:

Those tables are really lookers. It's the only table my wife ever expressed an opinion about. She was PO'd when I sold it.

Yes, it's one of my favourite all time for looks too. I have a bunch of upgrades for Rega here now which I was going to use for a custom plinth but I think I might just put them on this one.

Keep us posted! :idea:

I would like two or more belts for "in case" I need them later. :thumbsup:

I'm going to order soon. Hopefully you are still interested and can chip in a bit. :)

I replaced a belt for a friend, he owned a tv and hifi repair shop and I found a belt in his parts bin that we made fit. Job was not hard at all just go slow.
Chris

That belt is just a large O-ring. I'd take it to a good plumbing supply place and see what they have that matches.

I just screenshot an ebay listing for a belt like the one everyone uses, and same as at the link. Here's what it looks like.

20181210_055627.jpg

Back
Top Bottom