Rega Planar 3/Hana EH

Art K.

The Voodoo You Do!
This will be the last upgrade for a long time. I'm totally satisfied with my system and and my fiance and I are going to focus on getting our fiscal house in order for retirement...still some years away. The new deck arrives next week.

Last edited:
So I'm curious why you chose to go with the EH over the SH? Sounds like the Shibata is really something. I have had a SL on my want list for a while. I would love to compare it to my DV20X2L on my (your old) Simplex. Perhaps soon.

- Woody

Money for one and the other is that I buy garage sale and used record store quality records. Also I will not be upgrading the phono stage. The reviews are excellent for the EH and it seems a perfect match for my system and needs. We'll see.

Money for one and the other is that I buy garage sale and used record store quality records. Also I will not be upgrading the phono stage. The reviews are excellent for the EH and it seems a perfect match for my system and needs. We'll see.

Awesome. I've always thought our tastes have been similar — I'll be watching closely for your thoughts!

- Woody

Art, I DID recently retire, and thought I would splurge on myself and upgrade my table (Pro-Ject Debut III w/ acrylic platter). I too decided on the P3 and was toying with the idea of upgrading the stock Elys with the Hana EH. But I ended up with a demo unit with the Exact installed for the price of the Elys. Couldn't be happier at the moment. I also spend most of my limited resources on used record store vinyl. I'm pretty lucky to live in an area that has some excellent sources.

Compared with the Pro-ject, the background silence of the Rega is stunning, as it should be when you compare the cost. Enjoy! :bigok:

Art, I DID recently retire, and thought I would splurge on myself and upgrade my table (Pro-Ject Debut III w/ acrylic platter). I too decided on the P3 and was toying with the idea of upgrading the stock Elys with the Hana EH. But I ended up with a demo unit with the Exact installed for the price of the Elys. Couldn't be happier at the moment. I also spend most of my limited resources on used record store vinyl. I'm pretty lucky to live in an area that has some excellent sources.

Compared with the Pro-ject, the background silence of the Rega is stunning, as it should be when you compare the cost. Enjoy! :bigok:

Thank you, sir! Enjoy your retirement. I used to spend a lot of time in the Seattle area shopping the record stores.

Hey Woody, this combo is pretty damn amazing. Very neutral, delailed and engaging. No part of the frequency range is emphasized. Very balanced.

Hey Woody, this combo is pretty damn amazing. Very neutral, delailed and engaging. No part of the frequency range is emphasized. Very balanced.

Interesting. I like a balanced sound. I would say a Hana Cartridge is on my short list... maybe sooner than later even.

Yesterday I got two Dynavector 10X5's back from Andy Kim at Needle Clinic with Sapphire cantilevers and Linear Contact Styli. I bought both bodies cheaply with busted cantilevers. Andy says this combo should better my DV20X2L which is on the Simplex and he said even should better further up the chain. Would be another interesting comparison to the Hana.

I'll await your impressions after extended listening.

- Woody

So it's been a couple of weeks and I gotta say, this deck is awesome. I had to buy the tungsten counterweight in order to close the dust cover for times when I am not listening. The Hana EH is a wonderful cartridge and in fact the best I've ever owned. Much better than the Dyn 10x5. Very happy with this upgrade!

Great to hear Art! I am expecting my new VPI Prime and Hana SH to be delivered FedEx tomorrow. I have held off a looong time to upgrade my analog rig.

Back
Top Bottom