Remakes you CAN give a thumbs up to.

Since this is a "Movie and TV" forum, I have to give my vote to the remake of the TV Series, "Battlestar Galactica". Blew the original, and most other TV shows at the time, out of the water.

That show blows away almost anything that's ever aired on TV.

Although I'm a big Steve McQueen fan, I totally enjoyed the remake of "The Getaway" with Alec Baldwin & Kim Basinger.

The Maltese Falcon. The one with Bogie, et al was a remake of a completely boring and lifeless original, shot in 1931.

Meh. I found it tedious and uninteresting. yeah it was better than the original, but that is not saying much.

For me it got very tedious after the first season or so.....IHMO the series got too involved in the "P" word, and not nearly enough involved in actually fighting the bad guy Cylons. At least the orginal series maintained some humor, and blew things up with regularity.

Yojimbo. Definitely worth a watch or two.

Hmm, I've seen Yojimbo. Definitely a great movie but I'm pretty sure it's remakes were Fistfull of Dollars and Last Man Standing. I can't think of much connection between Yojimbo and Pale Rider...

For me it got very tedious after the first season or so.....IHMO the series got too involved in the "P" word, and not nearly enough involved in actually fighting the bad guy Cylons. At least the orginal series maintained some humor, and blew things up with regularity.

That's why I liked it. It was refreshing to see intelligent stories in a sci-fi format on screen, rather than just a bunch of juvenile jokes and explosions.

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2003)

While I don't like this one nearly as much as the original, it's still a pretty decent remake, especially compared to some of the other horror reboots and remakes that have been coming out lately.

But definitely a thumbs up to The Hills Have Eyes remake. Not necessarily a fan of it but it was much, much better than the original.

That's why I liked it. It was refreshing to see intelligent stories in a sci-fi format on screen, rather than just a bunch of juvenile jokes and explosions.

Oh I did not find it tedious due to a lack of explosions or jokes, I found the stories tedious and uninteresting.

I also thought they took the easy way out for the finale, by arriving at earth's pre-civilization period...

I have to give a thumbs up to both of the recently discussed remakes, "True Grit" and "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo" - the newer versions are both better acted and more true to the source material.

I also prefer the Coen Brothers' version of The Ladykillers.

Other remakes I prefer (including True Grit) are The Fly, The Nutty Professor and The Man Who Knew Too Much. After looking though a list - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lists_of_film_remakes - I'm surprised that's the extent of it.

Evil Dead II was kind of a remake of Evil Dead I, and I like it MUCH better.
El Dorado was a remake of Rio Bravo and is just as good IMO. Rio Lobo is pretty good as a 2nd remake too, but not as good as the first two.
3 O'Clock High and Outland are both remakes of High Noon, and both are good.

Back
Top Bottom