Remembering the "Old Man Beers" of my youth

Stroh's was a local beer for us. I know my dad's side of the family was into Blatz--I even have a picture of my grandmother swigging one straight from the bottle. :D I think they were the ones with the "big mouthed bottle" and...weren't their bottles shaped like barrels for a while? I know he cycled from Blatz to Carling's Black Label (briefly), then to Pabst Blue Ribbon until he kind of backed off on beer many years later. We might have had Stroh's occasionally.

We did like other families in the 70s and smuggled back two cases of Coors back when they still made it from spring water. ;) I remember how paranoid he was at getting pulled over--he hid it beneath the floor in the station wagon on the way back home!

My uncle used to keep Cinci Cream Ale around. We bought it once to have some around for a holiday party, and I remember sneaking one or two up to my bedroom a month or so later.

And as a teen, for some reason a lot of us gravitated towards Mickey's Malt Liquor. Some bought Red White & Blue because it was cheap. When my parents left town for a few weeks in Europe, my buddy and I got a couple of 12-ers of Miller "Half Life" (as we called it). Obviously, liquor laws were not quite so strict back in the early 80s. ;)

Despite all that I never developed a taste for beer. If I have a Honey Brown maybe once a year, that is about it for me.

Stroh's was a local beer for us. I know my dad's side of the family was into Blatz--I even have a picture of my grandmother swigging one straight from the bottle. :D I think they were the ones with the "big mouthed bottle" and...weren't their bottles shaped like barrels for a while? I know he cycled from Blatz to Carling's Black Label (briefly), then to Pabst Blue Ribbon until he kind of backed off on beer many years later. We might have had Stroh's occasionally.

We did like other families in the 70s and smuggled back two cases of Coors back when they still made it from spring water. ;) I remember how paranoid he was at getting pulled over--he hid it beneath the floor in the station wagon on the way back home!

My uncle used to keep Cinci Cream Ale around. We bought it once to have some around for a holiday party, and I remember sneaking one or two up to my bedroom a month or so later.

And as a teen, for some reason a lot of us gravitated towards Mickey's Malt Liquor. Some bought Red White & Blue because it was cheap. When my parents left town for a few weeks in Europe, my buddy and I got a couple of 12-ers of Miller "Half Life" (as we called it). Obviously, liquor laws were not quite so strict back in the early 80s. ;)

Despite all that I never developed a taste for beer. If I have a Honey Brown maybe once a year, that is about it for me.
Mickey's had the big mouth / barrel bottle .

I never saw Blatz or Carling's.

P B R was a decent low price beer.

I never saw Blatz or Carling's.

P B R was a decent low price beer.
Blatz was out of Milwaukee--I think my dad's family thrived on that stuff. :D They had a dark brown wide-mouthed bottle for a while that resembled a beer barrel:

upload_2018-10-24_13-47-19.png

I do also remember our Mickey's having a wide-mouthed bottle as well. It was cheap and it gave a decent buzz, which was perfect on a post-high-school budget. :D

PBR actually has a cult following today as sort of a "workingman's beer."

I was chatting beer with my neighbor yesterday, who is in his 30s, and he'd never heard of some of these old beers I mentioned.

I remember my Dad buying cases of Hauenstein...a fine New Ulm brew for those who didn't want to spend up for Grain Belt. They even had a "budget" beer as well..."Tempo". Came in a weird bottle that looked like something a genie would pop out of. Cold Spring was another longtime Minnesota beer...and even they had a "budget" brew..."North Star".

Many of these in our home growing up....I did sneak a few out for myself over the years!

This ever make it to the U.S.?

Many of these in our home growing up....I did sneak a few out for myself over the years!

Yes, at least in name according to a websearch.
Columbia and Blatz brewing offered product labeled as such.

In my college years, we drank a lot of Schmidt's of Philadelphia - $19 for a half keg... Many a frat party was fueled by that stuff...
I'm one of those who drank Lowenbrau in the '70s, too, thought it better than most of the stuff we drank in college - it was still made in Germany, then...

I’ll see your Genesee and raise you a Utica Club!! Got a fresh case in the fridge right now. It was my first beer as a youngster and I’ve been drinking it ever since. Supposedly the first beer sold after prohibition.
View attachment 1290293
LOL. And the premium version, Matt's. Drank a lot of UC back in the late '70s and early '80s with my cousins in Sin City.

newsweek-brother-billy-cover.jpg
billy-beer-can-on-a-black-background-picture-id1014991086

Yes we had that down here in the Seattle area. It was my first swig of beer given to me by my uncle. Pretty fizzy carbonated lager, great really cold.

Great Falls beer was another Uncles favorite. I tried it later when I was in Montana and old enough to drink, gawd awful.

This is the stuff we bought when I was young, mostly about $2.25 half case.

Lucky Lager
Lucky Draft
Olympia
Rainier
Heidleberg
Mickey's Big Mouth (pretty stinky)
Schmidt (animal beer)

Colt 45 had to be purchased in the liquor store. (malt liquor)

Great Falls beer was another Uncles favorite. I tried it later when I was in Montana and old enough to drink, gawd awful.

This is the stuff we bought when I was young, mostly about $2.25 half case.

Lucky Lager
Lucky Draft
Olympia
Rainier
Heidleberg
Mickey's Big Mouth (pretty stinky)
Schmidt (animal beer)

Colt 45 had to be purchased in the liquor store. (malt liquor)
Schmidts, drank many of those every summer when we'd go to the Northwest Nat's or SuperChevy at SIR. Used to stay with friends in Mt. Lake Terrace. First stop when we got there was down to the store for some animal beer.:beerchug:

Back
Top Bottom