Remembering the "Old Man Beers" of my youth

In high school, the cheap beer of choice was Genny Cream. Then off to college and one of my fraternity brothers grew up in Frankenmuth, MI where Carlings Black Label was being brewed, so we adopted it as "the house beer"--it helped that it was somewhere between $2-2.50 for a 12 pack. You could get it in cans, returnable long-necks, and the short fat disposable bottles. One year, when he went home over break, he brought us all back T-shirts from the brewery--I still have mine after 40 years.

My uncle used to drink Schmidt's beer out of Philadelphia, and (of course) being a good PA boy, I have tossed back my share of "Iron Shitty" Iron City beer out of Pittsburgh.

I just realized that I mis-identified one of my old favorites as Ballantine 12 Horse Ale earlier in this thread. Actually it was Genesee 12 Horse Ale. Dang CRS disease!

I just realized that I mis-identified one of my old favorites as Ballantine 12 Horse Ale earlier in this thread. Actually it was Genesee 12 Horse Ale. Dang CRS disease!
A very cool can from the early days.
19010-1-genesee-12-horse-ale-quart-can.jpg

Actually, that stuff is brewed in Munich Germany. I've walked past the brewery! It's not far from Marienplatz (the old town center of Munich).

Regards,
Gordon.

It was always brewed in Munich, however when Miller got North American distribution rights they started making it in the U.S.
They changed the formula which caused problem with the original brewery.
Labatts took over at some point and brewed it in Canada...apparently using the original formula.
Then, Lowenbrau became part of InBev...and maybe the North American rights were in limbo for awhile???

According to Wikipedia:
"In 2014, Labatt regained the Canadian rights to Löwenbräu and began brewing Löwenbräu at their London, Ontario brewery".

It was always brewed in Munich, however when Miller got North American distribution rights they started making it in the U.S.
They changed the formula which caused problem with the original brewery.
Labatts took over at some point and brewed it in Canada...apparently using the original formula.
Then, Lowenbrau became part of InBev...and maybe the North American rights were in limbo for awhile???

According to Wikipedia:
"In 2014, Labatt regained the Canadian rights to Löwenbräu and began brewing Löwenbräu at their London, Ontario brewery".

“Here’s to good friends...”

Just recently I happened into a 7-11 and decided to see what beers were selling. I noticed Miller no longer sells the pony bottles (Usually 8 in a pack). I went from Miller, to bud, to Malt liquor, to Guinness stout. Hated Coors and the most over rated was heinekin. Gave up drinking for pot in the late 1970's. Gave that up because of the cost. My friend has diabetes so he found a beer he could drink. Miller 64. Tastes really good with Pizza.

My friend has diabetes so he found a beer he could drink. Miller 64. Tastes really good with Pizza.

Supposedly (and I cannot verify this but have heard it many times) Straub beer out of St. Mary's PA is a good beer for diabetics, and has been around forever. But it comes in light green bottles and must be protected from sunlight, or it "skunks" really quickly.

My Grandpa in Detroit drank nothing but Old Milwaukee. I still remember him offering me a sip during one family holiday while all the menfolk were in my grandma's basement playing pinochle. Just smelling it made me want to run to the other room. Thank God Bell's brewery came around (Bell's Oberon is still my sentimental summer favorite, though Founders is pretty damn good). When we were preparing my grandfather's wake, my mom bought a 24-case of Old Milwaukee because it was "grandpa's beer." I told her if that was all we had, by the end of the wake we'd still have an unopened 24-case of OM and no one drinking anything besides water and cola. Went out and got two 12s of Bells. I think one person popped the top a can of OM, probably for a sentimental reason, and I found it still 3/4 untouched when we cleaned up after the party.

Old Style is the only beer (besides a smoke ale I got at a bar) I've ever left undrunk after opening. That stuff is awful (and so is smoked beer - tastes like a pint of smoked salmon).

Michigan in the 60's the old guys drank Drewerys, Blatz, Old Milwaukee, PBR, Strohs, Falstaff, Gobels
We used to call Strohs "redneck" beer. Falstaff had these little picture sayings under the caps. One of by buddies dads - a "redneck" - drank so much Drewerys that his gravel driveway was paved with Drewerys caps.

Oh yeah,I can remember Mom & Pop plowing through a shitload of these and then turning into Andy and Flo.Legendary Kraut brawlers,much loved by the neighbours:cool:

PA030157.JPG

Oh yeah,I can remember Mom & Pop plowing through a shitload of these and then turning into Andy and Flo.Legendary Kraut brawlers,much loved by the neighbours:cool:

PA030157.JPG

My buddy and I fell in love with that stuff on a trip to Mosport back in '74. We smuggled about 4 cases back with us.

Back
Top Bottom