Removing Paint from Yamaha YP-211 Plinth

ranf1970

Life without music would be a mistake.
Hey AKers,

Hope this finds everyone well. This afternoon I lucked out and got a Yamaha YP-211 for a few dollars at the local SPCA thrift. Always happy to help the animals and get a TT at the same time. :) Anyway, it looks to be in very good shape and it should clean up nicely (hopefully).

The big issue right now is that the plinth looks like it has some kind of paint on it. Latex more than likely. It was probably sitting in someone's garage, near the paint pile. So I was wondering what would be the best way to remove it. I tried Clorox wipes, but it didn't do too much. I was thinking googone, but will that destroy the color of the plinth? It is extremely dusty. The pain is what worries me, though. There is also some on the mat.

I also need to get rid of some belt residue from the platter, and I've read here that googone is also good for that.

I've never had a Yamaha table before, so I'm excited to hear what these sound like. I know this particular one isn't anything to write home about, but I'm sure it'll give me a taste.

Thanks in advance everyone!

Thanks Jon! I was looking at that as a last resort. Some of it is also on the lid, and I know that won't look good after using that. :(
I'm wondering if it is latex paint, if it can be removed with warm water and a brush. It should be water soluble. If I flick it with my fingernail, it comes off (for the most part), but it leaves a residue.

MEK. Methyl Ethyl Ketone. That will definitely remove the paint, but it is a bit vicious, and will also remove any finish on the wood, so it needs to be treated with care.

Depends on the finish.
If the paint is not droplets, but smears/scuffs a little mineral oil vigorously applied /rubbed with magic eraser might work. The eraser will disintegrate as you rub, but then use another piece.
Water will only soften dried latex but not dissolve it it is left to soak for considerable time
Depending on the finish, alcohol may soften latex, but could hurt certain finishes.
Try to determine what the finish is; difficult, I know.

Depends on the finish.
If the paint is not droplets, but smears/scuffs a little mineral oil vigorously applied /rubbed with magic eraser might work. The eraser will disintegrate as you rub, but then use another piece.
Water will only soften dried latex but not dissolve it it is left to soak for considerable time
Depending on the finish, alcohol may soften latex, but could hurt certain finishes.
Try to determine what the finish is; difficult, I know.

Thanks woodj! Would mineral oil and magic eraser damage the plinth?

Considering that this wasn't one of Yamaha's higher offerings, I know it is not real wood or veneer. It kind of reminds me of a finish of a Pioneer PL series, like the 15R. I hope someone that has one of these can chime in.

I guess I'm just trying to avoid any chemicals that would damage/discolor the plinth because I wouldn't know how to restore something like that.

Thanks again everyone for your comments! Please keep them coming!

I always start with milder solvents I would try 99% isopropyl alcohol then step up to to denatured if the iso does not work first.

Shouldn't unless there are loose spots. From your description of the finish, (just guessing) alcohol should be OK.
Just go easy, test a spot first.

Thanks @Tim64 and thanks again @woodj ! I'll see if I can grab some ME and 99% isopropyl alcohol and see what happens. I'll also see about mineral oil if that doesn't work.

Fortunately the paint is only on that one side of the table.

If it a vinyl type finish try a liquid car wax product. These prices have some oils in them and I have had luck with latex paints. You can also try Howard's restore a finish as it will clean many surfaces without damage. The car wax is also safe to try on the acrylic cover.

OK, so I just wanted to update this thread on what I've done so far:

1. Mr. Clean Magic Eraser "Extra Durable" with just water: Got some grime off the table (sponge was black), but did little for the paint.
  2. Tried some Howard's Restore a Finish with #0000 steel wool. Not sure it is making much of a difference either. I'm wondering if I needed a more coarse steel wool? Or should I just apply more elbow grease?
I haven't tried the other suggestions yet: mineral oil and liquid car wax.

Should I also try a more coarse steel wool or will it make no difference?

Tucker99 is probably correct in saying that it is a vinyl type finish.

Thanks again everyone! With your support, hopefully I'll bring this bad boy's plinth back to original beauty.

Last edited:
That has crossed my mind, but I have never done that before. I want to exhaust all other possibilities before going that route. Not even sure where or how to begin a project like this. However, I'm open to the idea if taught how to do it. :)

Last edited:
Nice! I'm really tempted to do this with the Yamaha, but I've never done anything like this. I would need some major handholding with this type of project.

The first question I would have is where do you get the veneer? Is it expensive? It looks like there is an iron on type. Is this the better one?

Back
Top Bottom