Renovation of my KLH 17's is complete (long)

Found a pair of KLH 20s at the local thrift on Saturday and I already have the Dayton caps on order from PE.

AK is the best website ever for gear! An amazing amount of knowledge passes through here. Love it.

Found a set of exc condition 20 Plus at GW last week and this thread will help me alot also. THANKS!

I recently did the same with my 17's. The additional step was using a latex caulk to seal all the interior seams of the cabinet. Use nitrile gloves and a finger to get to the hard places, and check with a mirror. Also sealed the edges of the aluminum back plate. I used a double stick glazing tape 1/16x3/8 for the woofer seal, but didn't remove the non-stick backer, so it's still easy to take out in the future.

I played some heavy bass music before disassembly and determined that there were numerous air leaks at the seams. This was done at night, with low light level, with a stick of incense. When the incense was near a leak, it glowed brighter. Kinda like some sort of worship service.

I have to say the write up is a great idea. I been planning on doing a write up on my 901 resto after i get the project a little further along.

I do have one question for you though. Are you permanently using marettes inside your speakers? If you are do these work well? I would think from the bass they could come off. I would personally use shrink wrap on those connections.

I do have one question for you though. Are you permanently using marettes inside your speakers?

Yes. The same ones that were in there, except for the caps which I added.

If you are do these work well?

So far they are working stunningly well.

I would think from the bass they could come off.

I suppose thats possible if you didn't fasten them securely. I'm confident that they won't. If they do, no big deal, they won't rattle around in there due to the insulation in place, and there isn't anything near them to short. I suppose I could have just as well left them off.

I would personally use shrink wrap on those connections.

You sure could do that.

Oh I got those 17s for $20. Looking forward to placing my order for parts to get these puppies up and running.

I'm a total sucker for this size and vintage of speaker. Finding the AR4xas was an eye opener for me. The sound that is produced is much greater and better in quality than I expected. AR4xa, Dynaco A25, KLH Model 17.. what else do I need to check out?

Thanks for this thread. I just ordered the new caps from PE.

What color latex caulk did you use to freshin up the surrounds?

Thank you for posting this. It came at a good time for me, because soon I'll be getting around to doing a similar job on my KLH 23s. Very clearly explained, nicely photographed...inspirational! THANKS! :thmbsp:

Specialidiot -

Thanks for the post. The pics were perfect - I just acquired a pair of 17's that needed re-capping. This thread was just what I needed to make sure I got the right caps/hooked everything up correctly.

A simple re-oiling had the cabs looking a lot better, as well. Some visible battle scars, but all in all, not bad considering they came out of some pothead's living room...

They're currently hooked up to my main rig, but I need to swap them out with my KLH 24's (TT/tuner combo) and see if it beefs up the already impressive sound...
For now, they're sitting atop Advent 4002's while I burn the caps in a little bit...

Both cabs were date stamped with 'Feb. 11 1966' - pretty cool.

Also, greetings from another MN native...originally from the Mankato area. Never saw anything worthwhile in the thrift stores around there, unfortunately.

Attachments

• DSCN0744.jpg
    DSCN0744.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 747
  • tmpphpVqg7UA.jpg
    tmpphpVqg7UA.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 532
  • tmpphpNn17wA.jpg
    tmpphpNn17wA.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 460
  • tmpphpXhq6vS.jpg
    tmpphpXhq6vS.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 760
Also, greetings from another MN native...originally from the Mankato area. Never saw anything worthwhile in the thrift stores around there, unfortunately.

Looking good, they sure do fix up nice.

And come on back to MN, it will start warming up in a couple more months.

Just got done my refinish-recap job, they sound awesome!

Thanks specialidiot, I could not have done it without your help.

It's good thing I'm not having any more children, the next name would be "Kloss".

Last edited:
Just wanted to take the time to thank you for this write-up. Talk about dramatic difference, and I wouldn't have done it without your help! My 17's (Dated Sept. 2, 1965) are back from a looooong nap. Wonderful!

Don't forget to insulate new 5 way binding posts!!

Specialidiot,

Thanks much for the DIY thread on the Seventeens. Just recapped a pair today using your guide. One thing to add.

The back plate that holds the speaker terminals and toggle switch is aluminum. I installed new 5-way binding posts. Forgot to insulate these from the aluminum plate the on the first speaker and got not output when I tested it. The plate was short circuiting the signal.

Had to take the post out, wrap it in electrical tape, then reintall with a rubber washer next to the aluminum plate on both sides. Works fine now.

Thanks, BmWr75 :yes:

Absolutely my favorite kind of thread on AK!! Some of us really need to see the pictures, because we only get about half the lingo.

I'm still not sure I'd be brave enough to mess w/all the electronic stuff.

Specialidiot (I hate calling you your screen name after such an intelligent and well thought out thread!) ~ Did you basically just replace some of the electronics inside with new stuff, or did you actually change the wiring around with different stuff?

I'm not too bad at taking stuff apart, and being able to put it back together again. But what I know about electronics, is just enough to scare me out of doing this for fear of blowing something up.

Great job and pics. I have Model Six and would love to get 17 and 23 :yes:

I read on claasicspeakerpages about using automotive tacky gasket sealer for re-doping. Happen to have and old jar and may try on next KLH or AR project.

KLH1.jpg

Great job! Congrats. I have a pair of Sixes in the basement, (not allowed by the planning commission to bring them upstairs) They sound real nice with my Kenwood KA-6100 amp. Your babies look great! I think you'll be very happy with the sound.

Back
Top Bottom