Renovation of my KLH 17's is complete (long)

The other thing you could do is drill holes on either side of the RCA and install binding posts. There's plenty of room on that plate, as long as nothing is in the way on the other side.

...I just completed a pair of 17's...used the info for the recap listed here...
Went painless and greatly improved the sound. Thanks for the detailed thread. :thmbsp:

Since yesterday I do mine...:banana:

ok.. capwise i'm done....

I had to use 2 2.2µF at the terminal, but that seems ok.

after all... I'm not too impressed yet, listening to Leslie Feist connected to the ST70. The A25 really floored me, the 17 just sounds like something....

ok, one of the woofers has an Surround-issue... it's lose from the basket for 2 cm, and I have no sealing beneath the woofers, took out the hardened old stuff. Also I didn't use the fabric-glue to make the surrounds flexible again yet... they just sound ... satisfying - that's a 3 in german school system, just ok :) :scratch2:

it's NOT soundinding defect (distortion, scratchy, weird...)

ok, one of the woofers has an Surround-issue... it's lose from the basket for 2 cm, and I have no sealing beneath the woofers, took out the hardened old stuff. Also I didn't use the fabric-glue to make the surrounds flexible again yet... they just sound ... satisfying - that's a 3 in german school system, just ok :) :scratch2:

I don't think you can expect a sealed enclosure speaker to sound right if it isn't sealed.

I don't think you can expect a sealed enclosure speaker to sound right if it isn't sealed.

in the tweeter area it's not sealed anyway - they are wide open .... :yes: so can one call these really sealed?

But... :tears: after brushing the gunk off my Stylus they sound quiet desirable :banana:

Still not as my first contact to A-25, but they got charme - bass, even in normal or reduced position good treble...
Taj Mahal and friends playing

nice...

Last edited:
OK, I got a set from a buddy last week and need to do the recap.

I'll post once I'm done.

What a great thread!!

I'll be joining in the fray as I just scored a pair roadside during bulk trash day.

John

Thanks, Special for the step-by-step tutorial. No doubt dozens of vintage KLH speakers have or soon will be saved!

Could you have used single 4.0 uf per cab(PE 027-421) and single 8.2 uf per cab(PE 027-426) with similar outstanding results?:scratch2:

Fifth Beatle

Just scored a pair of 17s today from Value Village for $8 for the pair.... Listening to them now hooked up to my little magnavox 6BQ5 tube amp...

Looks like I'm finally gonna have to invest in a soldering iron so I can do the before and after listening test of the recaps.

So far it's a toss up between the 17s and my A25s (the A25s have deeper and boomier bass i think)

:D

--wayne--

Great thread. Thanks for posting the process. It was very helpful to me to see this process. The cabinets look great.

Thanks, Special for the step-by-step tutorial. No doubt dozens of vintage KLH speakers have or soon will be saved!

Could you have used single 4.0 uf per cab(PE 027-421) and single 8.2 uf per cab(PE 027-426) with similar outstanding results?:scratch2:

Fifth Beatle

Not sure but I think yes to the 8.2 and no to the 4.0. Look how the two 2.0's are wired. :scratch2:

Not sure but I think yes to the 8.2 and no to the 4.0. Look how the two 2.0's are wired. :scratch2:

Yes, you can definitely go with the 8uF. That's what mine came with. But, like Shacky stated, the leads from the 2 2uF caps go to different terminals on the switch. If you were going to completely bypass the switch, I imagine you could get by with a single 10uF cap as a compromise, but I haven't done any calculations.

I'm finishing work on my cabinets, they were in rougher shape than I initially thought. I guess that's why they were out for bulk trash day. The black water stains required some bleaching and oxalic acid (I used Barkeepers Friend) to lighten, and I had to raise the grain and steam out some dents. I've gotten one stained and have to finish sanding and staining the other. Then some Danish Oil to finish protecting them. Crossovers are finished, but I still need to redope the surrounds. I used a wire brush lightly in them to remove some of the dried doping, and also a bunch of animal hair that was in them. Will post some pics when finished.

John

Can anybody tell me how the insulation goes back in (orientation)? I didn't pay attention when I pulled it out :drool: There are 4 sections in mine but it seems like I can't cover all 5 sides inside the cabinet....:scratch2:

Back
Top Bottom