Repair woes Luxman R-117 AKA What fresh sweet hell is this

tyeeslayer

So I got this for free with another purchase as a non-functioning unit.
When I tested it speaker relays were not kicking, and volume pot was kind of "grindy"
So lets replace relays and deoxit volume pot and all should be good right? WRONG!!
I noticed some one had been in this unit previously. Half the screws on the back were missing, no problem I have plenty of those. The old relays had previously been removed, opened up, cleaned and put pack in. Not a great solution.
I got the relays replaced no problem. I fired it up on a DBT and relays kick in. GREAT!!
Then as soon as I turn the volume up a quick burst of music then it kicks out. So I turn mt attention to that volume pot. Crap this thing is destroyed unknown goo had been sprayed in it and it was broken with bent contacts and broken bits.
A search for a replacement pot turned up nada.
So I guess I have to see if I can rebuild this one something I have never done before, but I guess that's how we learn.
Wish me luck.IMG_2800.JPG IMG_2801.JPG IMG_2801.JPG

I've been searching for other R-117 info when I ran across your post.
My volume pot needed a thorough double cleaning before it functioned properly. The first go round left a little scratchiness and the receiver just didn't sound as I expected from the reviews.
Cleaned it the second time and sound and performance was markedly improved.
When I say performance I mean that the relays were taking a long time to kick in and the unit was going into protection mode from time to time.

I wonder if that volume pot is more finicky than other brands..The condition of yours suggests the previous owner may have been having the same problem I was and got a little too heavy handed turning the shaft back and forth to clean it...and sprayed a ton of cleaner in it. One thing I noticed is the shaft will not turn smoothly as we expect a clean pot to turn, because it runs thru the Remote Controlled motor.

Anyway, how'd you make out with your repair?

My R117 is acting up, mainly on the left channel. There are a few other threads on the left side issues. I'm just trying to get more information on them before I try anything.

My R117 is acting up, mainly on the left channel. There are a few other threads on the left side issues. I'm just trying to get more information on them before I try anything.
Yes, good to get more info but wouldn't it be nice to get info that pertains to the issues you are experiencing?

Use speaker B and let us know if the issues go away.

Back
Top Bottom