Repairing some dinged up NS-70Ts

angelamerkel

Hey everyone, first (of hopefully many) posts on this forum.

I've been meaning to update my home audio setup (I spend half my income on vinyl haha) and happened upon a pair of NS-70T's going for $60. The price reflected the state they were in - woofers were dented, as was one of the mid ranges. Another mid range seems like a hole was poked in the middle of the foam - haven't taken off the protective cage to see how bad it is, but it's definitely there.

Plugged them in as they were and one speaker sounded great. The speaker with the hole in the foam definitely had some issues; sounded quieter and fuzzier.

I'm at work right now (happy President's day, ha!) but will upload pictures when I get home tonight. I was wondering a) how easy (if at all) would it be to find replacement parts (specifically the damaged mid) and 2) is it possible to fix the dents and hole at home (willing to give it a shot, but if the repair is super technical, I may not be up to snuff).

Thanks for your help guys! Looking forward to getting these old things into shape.

UPDATE - PICTURES

GzVCGBX.jpg

Mid range speaker #1 with dented center - sounds OK

QvCFt3I.jpg

Mid range speaker #2 with a hole in the middle - this one sounds off (quieter, fuzzier)

dksywqa.jpg

Both the woofers have dented centers (an easy fix from my understanding) - both sound fine either way

Last edited:
your best bet is to find out what other speaker that mid was in. I have a feeling it was NS70 and NS75 only. I had these, they are worth repairing, they sound pretty good.

I don't think that speaker was in anything else other than what jpete said, possibly the NS-75t. Your best bet is to look on eBay for parts. NS-70t's are impressive sounding speakers; a tad more rich in the bass compared to NS-670's, yet they are detailed like most Yamaha's.

Gotcha - good to know they're worth keeping/investing in. I'll keep my eyes open for replacement parts, but an initial eBay search hasn't given me much hope. Are there other 3rd party dealers I should check out? Also, is it impossible/not worthwhile to attempt repairs (e.g., patching the hole in the foam). Sorry, I'm still kind of a newbie haha.

Thanks guys!

UPDATE - Added pictures to original post; would love to get your thoughts

Last edited:
Unfortunately, I can't help with speaker repair, or any repair for that matter.:( However, the dented dust caps should not be an issue for sound and I've seen threads describing how to fix them. If I recall, Merrylander has a thread here that describes the process.
As far as the driver that doesn't sound quite right goes, a little searching of the site will yield some trouble shooting suggestions for repair.
Patience is key when searching for replacement parts. I have heard you can set alerts of some type on eBay to notify you if anything comes up on your search. I've seen parts for the ns-70t come up before so keep looking.;)

I had these NS70T and the spider foam (flat wrinkly bit) on the back of the bass driver came loose and caused a fuzzy scratchy sound. I super carefully gave it a light PVA using a wooden skewer to apply it and it was fixed.

Dont mess with the cloth surrounds...if you damage them they will be tricky to restore.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom