Replacement for Windows Media Player ??

centexguy99

Grumpy Old Hermit
For quite a few years now I have used Windows Media Player to rip CD's and make mix CD's or put files on a little Sansa player that I have. It was quick and easy. Now that Media Player is gone (One of the recent Windows updates removes it) I need to find a new program to take its place. I need minimal features (rip mostly to WAV but MP3 & FLAC would also be nice and then burn mix CD's) Any suggestions? (Please, No Apple products)

To rip: FRE:AC (Ex BonkENC)

You can rip FLAC tracks or Image + cue file.

EAC is also popular, but I prefer FRE:AC for ease of use.

To Burn: Burrrn

To convert: Xrecode II

To read: Winamp , Foobar2000 , AIMP

What OS are you using? WMP is still available in windows 7 & 10. I have two PC's running up to date Windows 10 and WMP is still there on both.

Press Windows key + R
Type: wmplayer.exe
Hit Enter

You can also use VLC player to rip cd's.

Microsoft hasn't cut off every road to getting Windows Media Player back. You can install it through the 'Add a Feature' setting. Open Settings, go to Apps then Apps and Features, and click on manage optional features. From there you can select add a feature and scroll down to install Windows Media Player.

For playback, Foobar.

EAC for ripping.

To create audio CDs from files I've been using AnyBurn, but there isn't a way to "normalize" songs recorded with different gain settings for compilation CDs. For that I still use an old version of Nero Burning Rom.

Last edited:
EAC for ripping.

MediaMonkey for library management (and CD burning if you want).

MusicBee for playing music (more modern interface, smaller footprint than MM).

I use dbpoweramp for ripping/tagging/converting, not free but worth it IMO, and Musicbee for playback.

I use EAC for ripping and I'm really happy with it. But, it's not the easiest as far as setting up goes.
For years I had it set up for ripping to either WAV or MP3(Lame, I think), but when I tried to add FLAC into the mix I couldn't figure it out. I actually uninstalled it, and started fresh with some settings I found online. It's at the set it and forget stage now, but it took some effort.

I don't burn a lot of discs anymore, but when I do I use CDBurnerXP.
It's run trouble free for me for years. Something I can't say about the previous burning program I used to use, Nero. Bleh.

Back
Top Bottom