Replacement woofer for Forte I

Rmac587

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Hi Ya'll,
I recently saw a post on a Klipsch FB page about replacing the original woofers in some Klipsch with newer Eminence drivers, who were a supplier for some Klipsch models. I have the original woofes in my Forte. They seem to be in good shape, but they are about 25–30 years old and I wonder if they’ve lost some "snap" that I’m not aware of.

The owner who installed the newer Eminence was replacing a blown unit, and seemed very happy with them. I’m wondering if any of you have done this, or used Bob Crites's woofer replacements.

More curious than anything. The Eminence Kappa12a 8ohm is suggested as a direct replacement.

I would only consider replacing an original woofer if there were something obviously wrong with it that can't be repaired. My 1985 Fortes still sound crisp and clear. "If it ain't broke..."

I would only consider replacing an original woofer if there were something obviously wrong with it that can't be repaired. My 1985 Fortes still sound crisp and clear. "If it ain't broke..."
Kind of leaning that way Anytune. I’ve pretty well settled on my Scott 299B and the Forte (upgraded with Crites xovers and ti tweeters, and modded as suggested by Moray James :thumbsup:) as a system I’ll never get rid of. I’m convinced I’d have to spend a small fortune to get marginal gains over what I have now. Had a listening session last night that just blew me away. The woofer question may be driven a bit by my OCD.

The woofers on my Forte l from 1985 have been through world war sixteen (feciously) Anyway they still worked but one had devoloped a 'poping' sound to it and both were still good except that the design of the paper cone would loose integrity along the rings in the cone ..I remedied that situation decades ago with elmers glue on the backside of the woofer cone to shore up the area that went bad.(see photo #1) Along with the fact that kids love to play with things they dont understand thus(see photo #2). Eventually replacing both woofers with Bob Crites replacment woofers. The woofers from Mr. Crites are a wonderful replacment for the originals.I have no issues with them at all. Thank you Mr Crites
292.jpg 293.jpg

Attachments

• 20180407_133250.jpg
    20180407_133250.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
I recently installed a pair of the Crites woofers in a pair of Fortes, and I have to say I consider them to be an upgrade. I like that he went with an accordion surround, that will likely last longer than the original rubber surrounds that tend to sag over time. They also, to my ear give the Fortes a little tighter bass and punch.

If anyone is on the fence about the Crites woofers, go for it!

Hi Ya'll,
I recently saw a post on a Klipsch FB page about replacing the original woofers in some Klipsch with newer Eminence drivers, who were a supplier for some Klipsch models. I have the original woofes in my Forte. They seem to be in good shape, but they are about 25–30 years old and I wonder if they’ve lost some "snap" that I’m not aware of.

The owner who installed the newer Eminence was replacing a blown unit, and seemed very happy with them. I’m wondering if any of you have done this, or used Bob Crites's woofer replacements.

More curious than anything. The Eminence Kappa12a 8ohm is suggested as a direct replacement.
Would not fret the condition of the woofers, just due to the age of them. Mine are original and sound fine. Frankly, I would worry more if a replaced them with an out-of-spec newer woofer more than I would about the original woofers falling out of spec.

After consulting with @enzoazul, I ordered the new woofers from Bob. I installed them yesterday, and I agree, it’s definitely an upgrade. I like the idea of keeping the original drivers, but I do believe my woofers were sounding a bit “tired.“ Plus, part of the cost can be recovered by flipping the old woofers unless you want to keep them as spares.

Attachments

• F76BAC2D-021A-49C4-BBA9-4F2CDCA69142.jpeg
    F76BAC2D-021A-49C4-BBA9-4F2CDCA69142.jpeg
    39.9 KB · Views: 32
  • EAE5CC60-D6CE-439F-8418-F682157EDB19.jpeg
    EAE5CC60-D6CE-439F-8418-F682157EDB19.jpeg
    42.6 KB · Views: 31
Back
Top Bottom